Fresh install Mint 5 Elyssa and no gui to be had

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Fresh install Mint 5 Elyssa and no gui to be had

Postby Missed on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:54 pm

I found that this "floppy=off irqpoll" worked for me.
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby muddygeek on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:17 am

Nice try, Clem. I'm still having the same problem. Any other suggestions?
muddygeek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Nessa on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:00 pm

muddygeek wrote:So... I just installed Mint 5 on my Compaq Presario v2000z notebook. I've successfully ran Ubuntu 8.04 back to 5.something on it. I also had Mint 4 installed and working properly before. I opted to install a fresh copy per advisement. Now I am without a GUI. I'm not of the command line exactly but I don't know what I need to do to make things work. I get GRUB up fine (graphical version at that) and then Mint starts booting. However, it takes an extraordinarily long time to boot (as I'm sure its looking for something that doesn't exist or is corrupted?). Eventually I'm left with a black screen stating "BusyBox v.1.1.3 (Debian ...) Built-in shell (ash) / Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

So help um helps me about as much as an Amish man driving a car. Thus my plea to those of you with far greater knowledge, what do I do?

By the way, I also had the same problem with Mint 5 Beta.

Specs...
Compaq Presario v2000z
ATI graphics
Sempron 2800
30 GB partition
2 GB RAM
2 GB swap
what else do you need to know?

Chris
http://www.muddygeek.com

I ran into the same issue and was able to use a temporary fix (adding "all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll") to get the gui working for me to be able to update the kernel. Remove "quiet splash" when you boot and check where it stops. That will give us a clue and point to the device that's causing the problem.
I want a balance between tweaking my OS and actually being able to use it.
Nessa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Raffael on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:21 am

Ok, some info to help You.

My specs:
AMD Athlon 64
MSI K9N Platinum
1GB RAM
1x SATA Seagate hdd with Windows XP
1x IDE Seagate hdd (through JMicron controller) with Linux Mint 5
1x LG DVD-RW

1.I've used
all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll

and it worked. I was able to update everything in my system through mintUpdate, I even chose updates with 4th and 5th level.
I haven't updated the kernel.
It didn't change a thing during booting - error is still there so updating won't help You.

2.When I remove quiet_splash i get:

Code: Select all
Running /scripts/init-bottom
Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: no such file or directory
Done
Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: no such file or directory
Mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: no such file or directory
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init

and the I get into busybox.

3.I've repaired it in my case by disabling all sata devices in my bios (so the HDD with WinXP isn't visible).
I've installed Linux Mint 5 with my SATA drives disabled to prevent MBR modification by GRUB so I have 2 HDD with MBR.
I use mainboard's built-in boot manager to choose from drive to boot.
After disabling SATA in BIOS everything works fine, Linux boots normally.

Maybe Linux Mint is trying to access system folders on SATA drive? That would explain the error about non existing file or directory.

UPDATE: New Kernel won't solve the problem. When I updated it through mintUpdate and after reboot enabled SATA devices everything went back to the beggining of this problem and I wasn't able to log into GUI. It's not the kernel problem.
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Postby -al- on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Had this problem myself, for some reason when booting it couldnt find "/dev/hda1" , tried a few of the kernel boot option suggested here but no luck. Finally i reinstalled LM5 but formatted the filesystem as ext2 rather than ext3. Dont know if that has any significance as im still new at linux.

Al.
-al-
Level 1
Level 1

Postby island dan on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:15 pm

clem wrote:To do it once: in the grub screen... choose 2.6.24-16-generic and edit the boot line to add "all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" after "quiet_splash".

I've done this also as I'm having the same boot issue on a fresh install, but it doesn't fix my problem.

Every time it crashes at "Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20", even loading in 'safemode'

Any help?

A new Mint user!!!
island dan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vortex_noob on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:07 am

Per Clem instruction, I updated the kernel............

However, turns out that i still need to put the aforementioned boot kernel options to get to the desktop and I noticed that my system is not snappy at all. Slow disk transfer speed is the most annoying so far. Never had this kind of complaint w/ Cassandra :cry:

Fortunately, I'm upgrading my hardware next month :)
Hopefully this problem will go away
vortex_noob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby island dan on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:02 pm

island dan wrote:Every time it crashes at "Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20", even loading in 'safemode'

Any help with this issue would be great... I'd love to use Mint but I can't :(

Thanks, Dan
island dan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rbanavara on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:11 am

I am not sure if this helps, but I had read some where when I was having issues with ubuntu 7.04 booting on my inspiron 1520. There are some commands, rather options to kernel line in grub (break=top or break=bottom) using which you can stop boot halfway. Now you can amend the xorg.conf if its there & continue booting by pressing exit. This didn't help me with 7.04 live CD though! But may be worth giving it a try.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Postby island dan on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:08 pm

I reinstalled using the ext2 file system and Mint 5 boots with no problems. Will see how it goes
island dan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby muddygeek on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:09 am

So I haven't retried Mint 5 on my laptop yet. Yes, the infamous laptop that started this post. I just thought I should mention that I installed it successfully on my HP Pavilion Slimline S3220N without issues.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
400 GB HDD
Asus MB

I am dual booting alongside Vista without problems.

Cheers
Chris
muddygeek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Raffael on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:17 am

So I guess were stuck with this little annoying problem...

Ok, maybe it's an effect of installing Linux on IDE drive while my SATA drive was disabled in BIOS (so no GRUB would be placed on SATA drive) and enabling the drive after installation perturbs drive numbers (hda(0,0) maybe should be hda(1,0)) for the Linux boot manager. Any idea if it's possible?
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Postby T-L on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:15 pm

muddygeek wrote:So... I just installed Mint 5 on my Compaq Presario v2000z notebook. I've successfully ran Ubuntu 8.04 back to 5.something on it. I also had Mint 4 installed and working properly before. I opted to install a fresh copy per advisement. Now I am without a GUI. I'm not of the command line exactly but I don't know what I need to do to make things work. I get GRUB up fine (graphical version at that) and then Mint starts booting. However, it takes an extraordinarily long time to boot (as I'm sure its looking for something that doesn't exist or is corrupted?). Eventually I'm left with a black screen stating "BusyBox v.1.1.3 (Debian ...) Built-in shell (ash) / Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

So help um helps me about as much as an Amish man driving a car. Thus my plea to those of you with far greater knowledge, what do I do?

Specs...
Compaq Presario v2000z
ATI graphics
Sempron 2800
30 GB partition
2 GB RAM
2 GB swap

Chris

I've seen this on a few installs.. namly on Compaq and HP laptops. Try this: When you power on and get to the grub menu hit the arrow keys before it automatically boots. Depending on your setup, you will have a list of all your installed operating systems.. if you did a default Mint install, then the first line should be your Linux Mint system. Make sure that line is highlighted, and you will see at the bottom of the screen the boot options. Arrow left until you see hda. Change this to say sda. Should look somthing like root=/dev/sdaX (X being the number of your drive where Mint is installed) Hit enter and see if it boots. If it does, you just need to edit your menu.lst to make it permanent. Let us know how it goes...
T-L
Level 1
Level 1

Postby reactiv8 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:07 am

T-L wrote:

Specs...
Compaq Presario v2000z
ATI graphics
Sempron 2800
30 GB partition
2 GB RAM
2 GB swap

Chris

I've seen this on a few installs.. namly on Compaq and HP laptops. Try this: When you power on and get to the grub menu hit the arrow keys before it automatically boots. Depending on your setup, you will have a list of all your installed operating systems.. if you did a default Mint install, then the first line should be your Linux Mint system. Make sure that line is highlighted, and you will see at the bottom of the screen the boot options. Arrow left until you see hda. Change this to say sda. Should look somthing like root=/dev/sdaX (X being the number of your drive where Mint is installed) Hit enter and see if it boots. If it does, you just need to edit your menu.lst to make it permanent. Let us know how it goes...

I had to re-install Minty Fresh 5 with my other HDD physically disconnected to get around this. It seems as though BusyBl**dyBox doesn't like EIDE drives, and/or Windoze, but I'm going to try your suggestion, it looks like the first sensible idea I've had on this one, so a BIG:~ "NOT WORTHY" to You Sir! - (assuming it works of course ... we shall see! - Hang on ...) Oh, and, where is 'menu.lst' Pretty Please?

Chris. (I'm another one!) ;)
reactiv8
Level 1
Level 1

Postby reactiv8 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:41 am

T-L wrote:

Specs...
Compaq Presario v2000z
ATI graphics
Sempron 2800
30 GB partition
2 GB RAM
2 GB swap

Chris

You're on the right track here matey, but it didn't work when I tried it :( ... However, I've got Vista on a Seagate EIDE, Mint 5 on a SCSI SATA and BusyBl**dyBox doesn't like it! - I can only talk to you now with Minty Freshness, with the Vista HDD physically disconnected ... Ho Hum ... "ide=nodma" just made Minty hang in limbo ...
reactiv8
Level 1
Level 1

Postby T-L on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:12 pm

You're on the right track here matey, but it didn't work when I tried it :( ... However, I've got Vista on a Seagate EIDE, Mint 5 on a SCSI SATA and BusyBl**dyBox doesn't like it! - I can only talk to you now with Minty Freshness, with the Vista HDD physically disconnected ... Ho Hum ... "ide=nodma" just made Minty hang in limbo ...

Are you saying when you disconnect the vista drive Linux Mint boots up and runs just fine? If so what is your root partition labeled as (in the grub boot options, like root=/dev/sdaX) upon a successful boot?
T-L
Level 1
Level 1

Postby reactiv8 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:45 pm

T-L wrote:

Are you saying when you disconnect the vista drive Linux Mint boots up and runs just fine? If so what is your root partition labeled as (in the grub boot options, like root=/dev/sdaX) upon a successful boot?

Hi there!

yes, indeed, if I physically disconnect the Vista HDD, Mint boots just fine, otherwise not. I think the root partition you refer to is sda1 ... If I re-connect the Vista HDD and try the same, sda1 remains the same, and I have even tried changing the sdaX to sda2, sda5 etc etc - still limbo, with a suggestion to enter "help" etc. I know this is a cinch to someone who knows what to do, but I don't ... So frustraion is intense, and judging by the looks of things, I'm not alone ...
reactiv8
Level 1
Level 1

Postby T-L on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:24 pm

reactiv8 wrote:
T-L wrote:

Hi there!

yes, indeed, if I physically disconnect the Vista HDD, Mint boots just fine, otherwise not. I think the root partition you refer to is sda1 ... If I re-connect the Vista HDD and try the same, sda1 remains the same, and I have even tried changing the sdaX to sda2, sda5 etc etc - still limbo, with a suggestion to enter "help" etc. I know this is a cinch to someone who knows what to do, but I don't ... So frustraion is intense, and judging by the looks of things, I'm not alone ...

You could try booting with the vista drive connected, and when you get to the grub screen delete the "quite splash" from the boot options of the default Linux mint line. When your dropped to busybox you will see a little more information on what it's not finding. Please post back with the error message because It might be looking for something like sdf1.. which then you could reboot and edit the same line again, changing out sda1 for sdf1.. but let us know.
T-L
Level 1
Level 1

Postby reactiv8 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:07 am

Followed your advice:~

Removed "quiet splash"

Then changed "sda" to "sdf1" (ro) ...

Then continued, and it sort of started until:~

"[47.846088 sd 4:0:0:3 attached scsi generic sg6 type 0"

Then:~ Limbo ... (and much Grrr & Gnash from yours truly ...)

I'm not questioning my own sanity here, as I have been extraordinarily patient with this and it is:~ BusyBox, BusyBox, BusyBox every time ... Guilty, Guilty, Guilty.

Erm, why? Is this a joke? It ain't funny ...
reactiv8
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:00 am

Problem now sorted!

Changed to priority boot queue to make Linux 1st in the 'queue' - by physically swopping the data leads!

Happy Bunny Again!

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Installation & Boot