Fresh install Mint 5 Elyssa and no gui to be had

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Fresh install Mint 5 Elyssa and no gui to be had

Postby reactiv8 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 am

T-L wrote:
You could try booting with the vista drive connected, and when you get to the grub screen delete the "quite splash" from the boot options of the default Linux mint line. When your dropped to busybox you will see a little more information on what it's not finding. Please post back with the error message because It might be looking for something like sdf1.. which then you could reboot and edit the same line again, changing out sda1 for sdf1.. but let us know.

To avoid conflict at startup time with BusyBox - If/when you have a PC with two HDDs, (i.e. one with Windoze, one with Linux), make certain sure that Mint (Linux) is 1st in the Boot queue - Either by editing the BIOS, or as I did, by physically swopping the data leads to the motherboard, and 'tis sorted! Dead easy once you know how!

Incidentally, Vista ain't too bothered where it is in the boot queue, although it does notice that it has been 'demoted' to 2nd ...

Phew! - Ciao 4 now, ;) Chris.
reactiv8
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Raffael on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:26 pm

Code: Select all
To avoid conflict at startup time with BusyBox - If/when you have a PC with two HDDs, (i.e. one with Windoze, one with Linux), make certain sure that Mint (Linux) is 1st in the Boot queue - Either by editing the BIOS, or as I did, by physically swopping the data leads to the motherboard, and 'tis sorted! Dead easy once you know how!

Well, maybe it will work for some people but surely not for me because:

1.My drives are on different bus type (Windows - SATA, Linux - IDE) so You can't physically change the order of the boot queue
2.Swapping drives seqeunce in BIOS didn't change a thing (BusyBox during booting)

When I tried to use root=/dev/sda2 it was loading and loading CDROM driver and it wasn't going to stop. It needed a Ctrl+Alt+Delete combination because it was not responding and the loading progress bar was moving from left to right and backwards all the time...
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Postby willz06jw on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:32 pm

This is a Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Issue that I have been trying to solve for a long time. It has something to do with the way Hardy handles hard drives and USB devices. I think this is the bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/231632

If you ever solve this one let me know!

Will
willz06jw

Previous

Return to Installation & Boot