New installation with Ubuntu partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

New installation with Ubuntu partition

Postby Kuoi on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:43 am

Hello ,

Just saw a message on the Ubuntu forum about MINT , and now I'm desperate to try it out.
The problem is the following...

I have 2 HDD's , 1st with XP on it , second with Ubuntu on it .

Everything works well for about 1,5 years now , but after reading about MINT , I think I should change my Ubuntu to MINT but as you can figure out , ... I don't want to loose important information like é-mails, and some other things.

I should not be worry to loose the programs and settings of Ubuntu , but some important things I can't effort to loose.

Can I install MINT next to Ubuntu on the same HDD , and looking in the future ... what is the best way to backup my data that I want to keep ?
On DVD using Ubuntu (or Mint) , ... or just copy it to the XP drive , but as far as I know , XP can't read and write Linux data.

Many questions , but I want to be sure that I do the right thing.
I like Ubuntu ( I have no experience with any other Linux version ) , but MINT seems to be more user friendly :roll:

Many thanks in advance, Kuoi ( From Belgium )
Kuoi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New installation with Ubuntu partition

Postby Fred on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:40 am

Kuoi,

You might want to take a look at my back-up script as a way of managing your data backups.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12988

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot