Mint 5 and mix of IDE and SATA HDs

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 5 and mix of IDE and SATA HDs

Postby blues-guy on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:32 am

Mint 5 ( and Ubuntu Hardy ) will see all of my HDs, a mix of IDE and SATA on my Gigabyte GA 7N400 Pro2 mobo ( I actually have 2 PCS with this mobo).

Despite the PC BIOS setting Primary Master ( IDE) as the boot hd, and without SATA hd attached, Mint (and Ubuntu) are seeing this as the first hd and naming it /sda1, if I attach a SATA HD as well, it is seen as /sda1 and the IDE hd becomes /sda2 - ie Mint/Ubuntu sees the SATA hds first though the PCs Bios sees them last.

Result is that on one PC where I have "/" on 1st Prim Master IDE partition and "/home" on second Primary Master IDE partition, the PC boots OK (BIOS boots 1st Prim Master partition) but then when Mint/Ubuntu begins loading all partitions are renamed and the "/home" partition is no longer /sda2 but /sdb2 so the boot fails.

2nd PC with 1 IDE HD and 1 SATA hd with new install of Mint 5 on IDE drive fails to boot as system seems confused re actual location of boot img. I have edited /boot/grub/menu.lst but it still fails.

Anybody else having problems with mix of IDE and SATA hds??

I believe that it may be a problem with the latest kernels and with a known GRUB bug that causes problems with some mobos.
blues-guy
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 5 and mix of IDE and SATA HDs

Postby alanmzifa on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:41 pm

blues-guy wrote:Anybody else having problems with mix of IDE and SATA hds??

I believe that it may be a problem with the latest kernels and with a known GRUB bug that causes problems with some mobos.

Yes. See my thread here.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13446

Also still get the intramfs error about 60% of the times I try to boot into Mint 5.

It's very disappointing. I haven't seen a fix for this yet or anyone explaining why these multiple errors are happening.
alanmzifa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby blues-guy on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:31 am

Thanks for the reply alanmzifa

.ve posted to your thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13446
blues-guy
Level 2
Level 2

Postby neil on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:07 pm

I am having a similar problem with installing Mint 5.

I have a 250GB IDE drive, that i would like to use as my / and a terabyte SATA drive that I would like to use for my /home. there is an old XP primary partition on the IDE drive, ~15GB, with my / to be the second partition using almost the rest of the disk( 5GB swap at the end).

Whenever I install, there appear to be no problems, in either seeing either drives or partitions, but when I reboot, i get an error from grub saying "error 22 partition does not exist". if i edit the entry to boot from (hd0,1) i am able to get to a desktop, but only the first time. after that, when i reboot again(after doing some updates) it brings up the splash screen, looks like it is loading, then after a minute or so it kicks me back out to what seems to be a recovery console( i believe it was called bonobo, or something similar along the top of the screen).

During the installs, I have so far been leaving the grub installation in the default location.once it is installed, there are no problems, until that first reboot.

could there a way around this by placing grub in the mbr of the sata drive instead of the IDE?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :D
neil
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alanmzifa on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:02 pm

I'm dual booting but from 2 separate drives, Mint 5 on the IDE and XP on the SATA.

I seem to have gotten it sorted it. No open heart surgery either, for me at least.

I was getting errors for both Oses and it wouldn't boot to either. Fixmbr from XP's recovery console wouldn't fix the MBR. Oh, irony!
I found a piece of software online that would from http://www.dtidata.com. It correctly identified the SATA drive as a bootable drive so I unflagged and reflagged it as I suspected that's where one error was. SATA then booted XP but ignored the IDE drive so I knew MBR was fixed.
I re-installed Mint on the IDE but manually set sda rather than any specific partition of the IDE drive for placement of GRUB through the advanced settings button.

So far, so good. No initrms error etc. Even got Photoshop CS2 installed via Wine this afternoon. if only I could do the same for the Palm Desktop software....
alanmzifa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby blues-guy on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:04 pm

alanmzifa

Good luck to you.

I was only trying to Run Kubuntu Hardy or Mint 5 on and IDE hd. The SATA hd was only for data.

Gave up.

Installed Mandriva Powerpack 2008 - no problems - still sees drives as /hdxx and /sdxx instead of making them all /sdxx.
blues-guy
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot