Intel Graphics Issue with Mint Installation on Revo RL80

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Intel Graphics Issue with Mint Installation on Revo RL80

Postby leobenlee on Sat May 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Hello

This is my first ever stab at using and installing Linux and I seem to be having an issue with normal booting. Hopefully I have provided enough information here but if more specific information is required, please let me know.

I bought an Acer Revo RL80 which I originally wanted to install Mint 14 onto. However when it started the booting process, the screen starting flickering in multiple colours. I did some searching on Google and found that there was a potential common problem with Intel graphics chips (the version in my Acer is Intel's 2nd generation HD graphics) and could be temporarily resolved by adding nomodeset to the boot commands. This enabled me to load into the home screen and I proceeded to install Mint. However, now there was an issue with the installation as it was hanging at the point where it was 'Configuring Hardware'.

I then tried Mint 13. The same flickering screen issue was present and again can be resolved using the nomodeset command. Installation of 13 managed all the way through. Unfortunately though however, I still need to edit the command with nomodeset for it to boot without the flickering screen. I've tried going onto Intel's website to download Linux specific graphics drivers but after downloading, it says that the driver cannot be recognised.

I've seen somewhere that I can make the boot command permanent rather than editing the boot command each time but have also read somewhere that the nomodeset command disables hardware acceleration so ideally I would not want to go down this route.

I am therefore wondering if anyone could provide some advice as to how I may be able to fix this troublesome issue please.

Many thanks
leobenlee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot