Howto install Linux Mint of a Zonbu Mini solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Howto install Linux Mint of a Zonbu Mini solved

Postby BelAus on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:16 am

Can anyone tell how (if possible) I can install Linux Mint on a Zonbu Mini? A Zonbu mini does not have a hard drive or cd/dvd rom so I would somehow need to be able to install Mint via USB?
BelAus

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Howto install Linux Mint of a Zonbu Mini

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 am

A Zonbu mini does not have a hard drive or cd/dvd

So, what the heck is it?
Of course you could prepare a USB stick - look in the how to section for advice
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Guest on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:01 pm

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zonbu and http://compactpc.com.tw/ebox-4854.htm.

The reason I was asking is because it uses a 1.2 GHz Via Eden CPU (C7 Esther core) with 512 MB RAM.

Postby rivenought on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:19 pm

Is the Zonbu designed as a closed-system? It looks like it is supposed to access specific online services, with very little flash ram storage locally. For you to have any storage, you will have to add a 2.5 HDD. While this system certainly has its advantages, it has several disadvantages, as well. Only you can determine your exact needs, but I feel this may not be the best avenue for you to take if you want a Linux system. I am not saying it can not be done, but there are other options available to you which just might be less of a hassle. This is just my opinion, but I would like to hear the suggestions and comments of others on the Zonbu machine. I am always interested in learning new knowledge.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Nessa on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Browsing through those links, theoretically it is possible. The online services are only for backup, additional storage and maintenance. The 4GB of flash memory should be enough if you don't plan to install any big/additional programs. My Mint 5 takes up just under 3 Gigs of space. You're probably gonna have to create a Live USB of Mint 5 to make the installation. I came across an article about installing Mint 5 to a USB in pendrivelinux.

Link http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/31/usb-linux-mint-install-from-windows/

From what I can understand, that's an actual installation and not a Live USB and you have to use windows. But if you have the means, maybe you can try mounting your Zonbu Mini to a windows machine as a USB device and follow the instructions in the article.
I want a balance between tweaking my OS and actually being able to use it.
Nessa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BelAus on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:54 pm

The device does have 4 GB compactFlash which should be enoug for the distro no?

The Zonbu OS is actually a Gentoo based linux distro hence my interest in trying another distro.

I will have a look at the PenDriveLinux!
BelAus

Postby BelAus on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Don't think I can use the pendrivelinux since I don't have windows. I just stumbled across DreamLinux which offers a USB install: http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/tutorials/3.0/usb-install/usb-install.html I may give that a go.
BelAus

Postby chrislang on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:42 pm

I'm trying to install Linux Mint on a Zonbu mini. I've set up a bootable USB disk, which works as a live version (I'm using it to type this). I went through the installation process, apparently successfully. But when I started the Zonbu, it let me log in, asked a couple of questions (about root password and fortunes) and then gave me a black screen. I waited about 10 minutes but nothing was happening.

Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed! Thanks in advance.
chrislang
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chrislang on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 am

I sort of solved this by installing the Xfce version of Mint - also from a USB stick. It's up and running and seems fine.
chrislang
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot