Multi-Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Multi-Boot

Postby Branta on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:46 pm

I want to set up grub without having to do a clean Mint 5 install. How do I do it?

I am installing Mint 5 to clean up grub

I want to set the multi-boot with grub without having to do a clean install each time.

---
Bob
Branta
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Multi-Boot

Postby Fred on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Branta,

Sorry, but you need to give me more to go on. What do you currently have and what do you want to wind up with.

Please explain the problem a bit better.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Multi-Boot

Postby Branta on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:05 am

I did the normal install of Mint 5 as I did with 4 and earlier. I boot using grub

/ for Mint is on hdb8 and the mbr is at hda0

I want to run something in Mint (terminal or a GUI) that creates /boot/grub/menu.lst

Currently I have 6 Linux distro's I multi-boot. Each has it's own / and /home; nothing is shared.

I have pasted earlier copies of menu.lst onto /boot/grub/menu.lst It works, but it is not a suitable way to manage it.

I want to run from terminal or a GUI to create /boot/grub/menu.lst for the boot loader as the installer does. I want to do it without having to install Mint 5 each time.

---
Bob
Branta
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot