Upgrade Bianca to Feisty

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Upgrade Bianca to Feisty

Postby MrFuzzemz on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:42 pm

Is it possible to upgrade to feisty by editing the sources list (replacing edgy with feisty) without screwing up all of the nice little Mint packages?

Thanks
MrFuzzemz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi,

The mint apps should be fine on top of a feisty base, I'd say it should work OK

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby MrFuzzemz on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:40 pm

I tried this method:
Code: Select all
gksudo "update-manager -c -d"

and I got this back:
Code: Select all
Can't install 'ubuntu-desktop'

It was impossible to install a required package. Please report this as a bug.

Is this likely a problem with Mint? Do you have any ideas?
MrFuzzemz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:12 pm

Well, ubuntu-desktop is not installed in Mint... it's a meta-package made "sur-mesure" for Ubuntu and it does conflict with some of Mint specifics (namely openoffice 2.1 for instance).

I suggest you use normal upgrade and dist-upgrade methods.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby MrFuzzemz on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:56 pm

I've decided to just install feisty. NTFS-config is like MintDisk and feisty has a multimedia codec finder so I'm happy.
MrFuzzemz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:33 am

No problem. Ubuntu is a great distribution and there's no secret why it's #1 on distrowatch. I perfectly understand that.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Uncle Bob on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:29 pm

I would suggest that you do not upgrade. I did it on my one machine and it screwed it up. It's not buggered so much that it does not work any more, it's just that most applications tend to crash "unexpectedly" quite frequently. Update Manager also does not do all the updates either, but crash out.

I'm not too bothered about this as I'm waiting for the Mint KDE flavour to become available and then I'll wipe that machine and experiment with KDE. Afterall I retired that machine and replace it with my work laptop... :lol:
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sanguinemoon on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:03 pm

Why's everybody in such a hurry to install a beta OS?

Anyway, a few questions. I can see possibly adding the feisty repos to get a few things, such as Gnome 2.18. But with the newer version of Gnome, aren't you running the risk breaking applications that depend on Gnome 2.16 libs? Sort of what Uncle Bob said "it's just that most applications tend to crash "unexpectedly" quite frequently. "
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby sanguinemoon on Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:41 am

Guys, I didn't follow my own advice in the last post. Curiosity got the better of me and so I "upgraded" Bianca to Feisty. Don't bloody do it! Here's the results. The 2.6.20 kernel couldn't get past the boot splash. The 2.6.11 kernel could, but the first attempt none of the icons in the Gnome panel would work. I made sure that the version numbers matched and everything. So booted to the xterm session and made sure all the packages were properly upgraded. So I rebooted and Gnome got a a screen bluish screen and didn't work, although that screen goes away when doing ctrl/alt/backspace to restart xorg.

At that point, I decided the hell with and decided the easiest course of action would be reinstall Biance (not that big of a loss, since I keep all my data on separate drives and partitions. I probably could installed Kubuntu Desktop and the end result would have been running Kubuntu 6.10, so I didn't really see any point in that. If I had tinkered about more, I probably could have fixed Gnome, but trying to do that would taken and longer and would have been more of hassle. Please not that I do somewhat know what I'm doing and don't just install packages at random and I watch what dependencies are going to be effected.

So wait for Cassandra if you run Mint. If you decide to run Ubuntu, its still probably a good idea to wait at least a bit longer (if not to the final release)
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Uncle Bob on Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:50 am

This is where that line "I told you so" comes into play. I also did that and it screwed my one machine. Why do people install an OS beta?

...curiosity and to see what it's like. Anyway, Mint is a great distro and the stable versions are stable, so stick with it.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cool_gamer8119 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:48 am

PEOPLE! if u either are not ready to trash ur computer or do not have a computer to test with, i recommend not installing beta os... they are still in development and can completely destroy themselves sometimes... fixable but have to lose everything...
linux mint!
cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Uncle Bob on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:26 am

cool_gamer8119 wrote:PEOPLE! if u either are not ready to trash ur computer or do not have a computer to test with, i recommend not installing beta os... they are still in development and can completely destroy themselves sometimes... fixable but have to lose everything...

Not to worry Dude. I'm pretty sure everybody is well aware of the risks involved with betas etc and they know that they do so at own risk. That said, that is the reason why there is such things as betas; so people like you/me/us can test and discover/report any bugs so that can be fixed.

Me, I have 3 laptops and 2 desktop machines to play with. One laptop is my "production" machine that I don't mess with. The others, well its mine to mess about with.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sanguinemoon on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Yeah. The only reason I did is because I keep my data elsewhere, so in the end it just cost me a little inconvenience. A lot of users would have wound up losing all their data.

I made mistake on last post. If I installed kubuntu desktop, the result would have been Kubutu 7.04, not 6.10 :p So much for reporting the results of freakish experiments at 5:41 am my time :lol:
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby D1Wayne on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:43 am

First Thank you
Clement Lefebvre etel for perhaps the finest distro ever delivered!

Actually, I've Fawned over Bianca and found the migration delightful.

Bianca is the 1st distro in that has not left a bad taste in my mouth (Hip-Hip-Hooray for Bianca).

Example Feisty Fawn Herd 5 did video correctly straight from the distro CD by the time kernel 2.6.20.14 came out Networking and Video went south, 2.6.20.15 fixed Network connection but video install dropped to 800x600 and the install dialogs action buttons seemed to beyond the reach of the mice:-)

After a clean re-install of Bianca re-booted
Did the Updates re-boot
Then checked for updates (7 more) rebooted
Checked for more updates none
Clicked on upgrade to 7.04

During the upgrade to 7.04 Feisty wants to replace 4 things that it recognizes as local changes, I elected to let the Fawn replace them.

Games Menu
some old edgy Ubuntu themes
GDM settings
Linux Mint Branding ib Firefox
And /etc/mime.types

After Upgrade 7.04, did following through synaptic
added gstream for totem, VLC, Beryl, Beryl Manager, Beryl simple controls, emerald themes and plugins, XGL New

1 shell command for Beryl and compiz
$ sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite

Then without even looking if the Hauppauge PVR150 MCE was even found
dared a second terminal command,
$ mplayer /dev/video0
The T.A.R.D.I.S.
was on my screen What we do for Dr. Who!

So if production Ubuntu Distro and xorg.conf blues brings you down you too maybe Fawning over Bianca
D1Wayne
Level 3
Level 3

Bea prompt

Postby maadamos61 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:42 pm

I got the "upgrade to 7.04" prompt after doing some regular upgrades last night. I do not know if it makes a difference that I was still using Bea vs, Bianca. I also do not know if it makes a difference that I did my installation from a CD I bought from OSDisc.com. It took about 30 mins. downloading but a whole hour to finish installing. Everything is o.k. so far. Hope more people have as pleasant an experience as mine. I have yet to find out what the new enhancements mean.
Thanks Clem.
maadamos61
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot