$Home/.dmrc file being ignored

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

$Home/.dmrc file being ignored

Postby Eric Weir on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:23 pm

After logging in this morning, this message was displayed before the boot process wouild continue:
Users' Home/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permission. User's $Hom directory must be owned by user and not writable by others.

Not sure what this means, or what, if anything, I need to do. I can say that I've been trying -- without success -- to get my /home folder shared over the local network, so I can move files and folders back and forth between my Mint desktop and XP laptop. It sounds like in that context I've done something I shouldn't have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: $Home/.dmrc file being ignored

Postby 67GTA on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:00 pm

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Eric Weir on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:38 pm

67GTA wrote:http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13990&p=87347&hilit=dmrc#p87347

Thanks. Any idea why this happens?

And I noticed husse's comment about "tampering with chmod and chown being scary." Do I need to be concerned about executing this fix?

Regards,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 67GTA on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Usually if you change something wrong in the login manager, or mess with permissions this will happen. Basically the permissions get changed for your home folder. Chown changes ownership of files/folders. There isn't anything to be worried about. If your not sure what your doing with the chown command, you can screw up things.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Eric Weir on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:17 pm

67GTA wrote:Usually if you . . . mess with permissions this will happen.

Thanks. That's probably what's happened. I've been trying to get file sharing going between a Mint desktop and an XP laptop. I keep getting told I don't have permission to create shares. I've tried every suggestion I've encountered, and a few things on my own that I thought might work, all to no effect, or at least not the one I want. I do seem to have screwed something else up, though.

Thanks again,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Eric Weir on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:23 am

67GTA wrote:Usually if you change something wrong in the login manager, or mess with permissions this will happen. Basically the permissions get changed for your home folder. Chown changes ownership of files/folders. There isn't anything to be worried about. If your not sure what your doing with the chown command, you can screw up things.

Recently I changed the permissions on my /home folder in the process of setting up a share of the folder, i.e., so I could read and write to it from a laptop running XP. Subsequently I started getting the "$Home/.dmrc file being ignored" message. If I re-execute this solution, it changes the permissions required for file sharing, i.e., so that it becomes impossible.

This again raises the question why this message is generated. More importantly, though, I need a solution that doesn't involve controlling permissions on the /home folder. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Last edited by Eric Weir on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 67GTA on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:34 am

You probably need to set that up using samba or something similar. I've never shared files between PC's, so I'm not sure. I know you can't directly change the permissions for your home folder. Windows doesn't recognize Linux partitions. You can use apps to view Linux partitions, but not directly write to them from Windows.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Eric Weir on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 am

67GTA wrote:You probably need to set that up using samba or something similar. I've never shared files between PC's, so I'm not sure. I know you can't directly change the permissions for your home folder. Windows doesn't recognize Linux partitions. You can use apps to view Linux partitions, but not directly write to them from Windows.

Hmm. Curious about not being able to "directly change permissions for your home folder." I've done it. However, after doing it, I get the "$Home/.dmrc file being ignored" message. And file sharing doesn't work. Should I understand you to be saying permissions "shouldn't" be changed on the /home folder?

I am using Samba set up simple file sharing with the XP machine, i.e., just establishing shares for folders on the Linux machine without making it a Samba server, i.e., leaving it as a client, with the XP machine functioning as server.

This business of "not changing permissions on the /home folder" may be at the root of my difficulties getting file sharing to work. I'll reset the permissions on /home as suggested her, then trying setting up a share on a folder in /home instead of /home itself, and see how that works.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Eric Weir on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:08 am

Eric Weir wrote:This business of "not changing permissions on the /home folder" may be at the root of my difficulties getting file sharing to work. I'll reset the permissions on /home as suggested her, then trying setting up a share on a folder in /home instead of /home itself, and see how that works.

PROBLEM SOLVED! God, it's been weeks. Basically, I haven't been using Mint at all, since I've been unable to get the files onto the machine that I need to work with.

when I did the "chmod 644 /home/eric/.dmrc" followed by chmod 700 /home/eric" and then set up shares for /home/eric/documents and /home/eric/downloads file sharing went through.

If somebody'd just told me you can't share you /home folder I wouldn't have had to go through all this angst. I was literally ready to give up on Linux.

Thanks for the clue.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot