Updating Daryna to Elyssa

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Updating Daryna to Elyssa

Postby orgthingy on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Well, I heard that updating by installing Elyssa from LiveCD again is much better, but, if I do that, are the data, videos, programs..etc in Daryna going to be "erased" ? or, when i install Elyssa from LiveCD it's just gonna "update" it and keep my documents, videos..etc as they were?

Thanks...
orgthingy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Updating Daryna to Elyssa

Postby Husse on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:06 pm

This depends on if you have home on a separate partition see
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
I want to point out that you should move all hidden files and folders into an empty folder so you get a fresh install
Then when you install your applications you can bring forth the settings - they are all saved including passwords
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby BigBaaadBob on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:18 pm

When you say "bring forth the settings" I assume you mean manually, by moving settings files back? That isn't always straight forward since you need special knowledge to know what to move. For example, Pidgin needs .purple, and I don't know how someone would know that if they weren't current in the implementation details of Pidgin.

I was hoping there was a way to selectively tell Mint to update Mint-specific files, like menus, etc...
BigBaaadBob

Postby Husse on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:45 am

You have a valid point
You could hide just the .gconf* and .gnome* and .linuxmint folders
That is perhaps better - no doubt on what to hide and no problems when you install applications
I'm still considering what to do ....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby BigBaaadBob on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:18 pm

Have your thoughts solidified? It seems like a simple script would help:

• Create a settings backup directory
  • Move the minimal set of settings files into it (based on what is needed to get the newer behavior but not loose serious user customization
  • Echo some advice for what the user needs to do post upgrade

The hard part is the second item. There is a lot of stuff in the .gconf and .gnome directories. (I think you mean .gnome2 btw, right?)

Thinking about this, though, I think it might be easier if instead there were a post-update script that would selectively modify just the settings needed to get the newer look-and-feel. There just seems to be so much that could go wrong with the other way around.

Or, keeping things simple, if there were just a short list of "things to do" to get the new look and feel, we could do it manually. Things like art and menus for example...
BigBaaadBob

Postby morty007 on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:27 pm

I wish someone could post a screenshot by screenshot of how to move your home partition and then restore it. I'm afraid that when Mint 6 comes out I will have my files, but all my settings will be gone. :cry:
Dell XPS M1530
Intel Core 2 Duo T5850
Dual Boot Windows 7 & Mint 9 32 bit
320GB
4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Intel Wifi link 4965agn
morty007
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot