[SOLVED] Portable disk is looking for BOOTMGR

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Portable disk is looking for BOOTMGR

Postby DC80 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi there,

I have a portable hdd, usb connected, with linux mint 15 32 bits. The install went as expected, formatted all the partitions (so I remember) but today I have a rather odd problem. On my laptop it worked to start linux mint without a problem but on my desktop it wants to look for BOOTMGR.

I did not have windows installed on a portable drive, also i did not have a DVD copied to it. I already checked the grub-menu.lst file and there is no sign of windows. I do not want to format my drive because it is encrypted (home folder). I googled the windows boot process and i did find that Winload.exe is called and wants to look for BOOTMGR but there is no sign of that either. There are no hidden files and a standard search (ctrl+f) turned up empty.

I will test it on my laptop again and will copy/backup any data I can get my hands on.

Can someone help me please?

Kind regards,

DC80
Last edited by DC80 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is predeterment by those who shape it"
DC80
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Portable disk is looking for BOOTMGR

Postby Mark Phelps on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 am

Did you install to the USB when it was connected to the Desktop? If so, you might have installed GRUB to the desktop machine, which if it was written to the Windows boot partition, will confuse Windows and prevent it from booting.

If you can, boot the desktop from the USB and look for a small partition at the beginning of the drive. It will be a few hundred MBs at most. Inside the small partition, list off the folders found there. IF you find two with names similar to "boot", that is the problem.

Since Windows can't boot from an encrypted partition, it requires a separate boot partition, and if you write GRUB there, that will prevent booting.

If you have a Windows install DVD, you can fix this by booting from it and running Startup Repair three times.
Mark Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DC80 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi there,

Yes and no. I used a desktop computer to install the portable drive and no, I do not use Windows as Linux Mint is my primary system. Also I used a "LiveUSB" to install it, no other OS or software was used.

I already used gparted to check out the partitions and there is no windows partition. Also searched for windows executable (.exe) files and there aren't any.

I can install GRUB again using a Mint Live DVD but because the drive is encrypted I'm afraid I can't read the encrypted data (which is my home folder btw).

Anyways, is it safe to reinstall GRUB again? If so, the problem will be solved.

Kind regards,

DC80
DC80
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Mark Phelps on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:19 pm

The BOOTMGR error message is a Windows boot loader error, not Linux. The drive is setup to boot Windows but part way in, it can't find the rest of the boot loader files.

If it was setup to boot GRUB, you would get very different error messages.

Sorry, but can't help you further as I have no familiarity with encrypted systems.
Mark Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DrHu on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:49 pm

It's probably because of the BIOS bootorder and possiblt the windows version you are using (hopefully not win8x, as that defaults to an efi install, not bios/legacy or compatible mode)
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerr ... issing.htm

I would first try changing the BIOS boot order first to make the usb the first boot device, that if the condirtion matches the above description, should allow a boot with no errors
--otherwise you can troubleshhot the bootmgr file (mission or otherwise) errors

Or edit grub2x to enable that device to boot, if its not the main drive you use..
--another option, switch the BIOS boot order as above or install grub (or use windows bootldr (bootmgr) as the loader for that device.. onto the mbr of the usb device, and use F8 on boot to select the device you want booted (loaded)
--if you are getting into Linux, grub2x might be the better option: as in learning how Grub2x works and ghow to fix boot issues using that loader/manager

If you decide on windows as the devices OS and boot loader
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... indows.htm
    3.At the prompt, type the bootrec command as shown below and then press Enter:
Code: Select all
 bootrec /fixboot

--that works

And fdisk /mbr used to work to replace boot sectors (MBR), don't know if it still does, might not for later versions of windows, such as win7x or win8x or later ?
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby DC80 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:38 am

Hi all,

@all: It is finally solved! I do not know the exact cause but when I checked the partitions with Gparted I did remove the bootflag of the drive. I added it later in the same session of Gparted. I also do not know why or how it came to believe that it had windows installed.

@ Mark Phelps: Thanks for your support. I know that BOOTMGR is a part of windows. I still do not understand why this has happend. However, since I was a little frustrated and a kind of hurry I forgot to mention that it was a Western Digital Passport of 750 Gb that was connected to the hardware. I checked the partitions on the harddrive with Gparted and which were all Linux Mint (EXT4 FS). There was no sign of any windows files. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I have Linux Mint installed on my desktop as well. There is no sign of windows in my house! hehe.

The only windows I can see is in Virtualbox, which is running rarely. I also see windows if I look outside, haha. Well, the only reason I can think of is that I had a laptop to troubleshoot (it contained a virus and a load of spy/adware). I had it hooked up to backup any documents and photo's and stuff. Anyway, thanks again for your support.

@DrHu: Also thanks for your support. I have no windows, not from Microsoft anyway. So what the problem was, I do not know. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

DC80
DC80
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot