"no boot filename received" vmware fusion 4 [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1970ShelbyGT500

"no boot filename received" vmware fusion 4 [Solved]

Post by 1970ShelbyGT500 »

Hi Folks,

I tried to install both 32 and 64 bit versions of Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon on VMWare Fusion 4 running on a Mac Mini. I checked the MD5 on both disks, and they are good. When I attempt the install, I get "no boot filename received" from Fusion and Fusion just sits there.

I'm inclined to just install Linux Mint to an old Dell, and skip my Macs entirely. I love the Apple hardware, but it looks like the Apple/VMWare/Linux combination isn't going to work. Or, does Parallels work better?

Regards,
Rob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
1970ShelbyGT500

Re: "no boot filename received" vmware fusion 4

Post by 1970ShelbyGT500 »

Hi Folks,

The problem was that I have a copy of the iso file on my DVD, as opposed to actually writing the image. Here are directions on how to create a DVD with a proper image using a Mac for the burn:

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/390

Once I did that, everything worked fine and I'm impressed with Linux Mint.

The VMWare message "no boot filename received" is a bit cryptic, but it usually means that there is something about the installation media such that the boot loader can't be located. The most usual cause of this is just what I did - writing the iso file to the DVD, as opposed to writing the disk image. I' calling this problem solved.

Regards,
Rob

Return to “Installation & Boot”