Encryption Linux Mint 14 Nadia

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sturm

Encryption Linux Mint 14 Nadia

Post by sturm »

Hey,

I installed Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) on my laptop. Unfortunately since yesterday it doesn't boot anymore and (of course) I don't have a backup of my data.
The hard drive is (fortunately) still working so I copied all the data to another pc. My problem is now that I chose the home folder encryption and cannot access my data. I don't know which encryption type is the default in Linux Mint and I have no clue how to access my stuff... Anyone has an idea how I get my data back? \
I would be really glad for any kind of help!

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Encryption Linux Mint 14 Nadia

Post by WharfRat »

sturm wrote:I installed Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) on my laptop. Unfortunately since yesterday it doesn't boot anymore and (of course) I don't have a backup of my data
Can you be a bit more specific, does grub load etc. :?: Exactly what happens :?:
sturm wrote:The hard drive is (fortunately) still working so I copied all the data to another pc. My problem is now that I chose the home folder encryption and cannot access my data
And how did you copy the 'data' to the other pc :?: How did you mount the laptop drive :?:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not sure you can recover the files if you have copied them, but here are the steps to recover your files with the Linux Mint LiveDVD if you can no longer log into your system: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=134231#p720340. Note that you must have your mount passphrase for this, which you would have gotten by running the command "ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase" at any time after installing Linux Mint.

I'm guessing you don't have your mount passphrase, without which you can not decrypt your files :| So your best bet then is to repair whatever is wrong with your system so that you can log in again. As WharfRat noted, we'd need some more info to help you with that. But if you have the mount passphrase, it's easy enough to recover the files with my other post.
sturm

Post by sturm »

Problem solved...
[url]http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1622210.html[/url]
...this worked at once :)

I still had my passphrase but I didn't know how to mount the stuff properly. What I did was just putting the hard disk into an external drive and connect it to another pc. Then I could copy all the data with rsync but of course they were still encrypted. My laptop doesn't do anything. There are some basic lights blinking at the beginning and the screen stays black.

But thank you for the help!

Return to “Installation & Boot”