How to install Win2k on a machine running mint 15

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How to install Win2k on a machine running mint 15

Postby Brasso on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi,

I've got an Advent 7208 laptop which runs fully on Linux Mint 15 Olivia. Unfortunately I now need to install windows as well because of some work stuff.

I've got an old cd with a vertion of win 2000 on it and would to install it however after having selected boot from cd in bios the laptop won't boot it just says that no OS exist?

When I browse the cd content I can all the necessary file to install, could someone help please?
Brasso
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to install Win2k on a machine running mint 15

Postby Jedinovice on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Well, given that the laptop in question has quite a bit of power relative to Windows 2000, and that Windows 2000 will run happily from a mere 128MB of RAM, then I would have thought the path of least resistance is to run it in a virtual machine.

If you only have 1GB of RAM, you may want to invest in a bit more or run Windows 2000 in 256MB. It's an old OS and will handle it.

Virtualbox can be installed and downloaded via synaptic easilly enough. Then point the Virtualbox to your CD drive or use K3b to create an iso image. Depending how how virtualbox goes one or either might be the path of least resistance. Then install as per normal.

Running in a virtual machine is slower than 'for real' but it is less of a headache than frcing a dual boot system, less risk to the laptop and, given this is Windows 2000, likely to run faster than it would have done in tech from 2000-2005.

Also, the virtual box can be fine funed to more closely emulate the tech the OS needs.

There are other virtual machine programs - GMU actually allows direct emulation of specific hardware but I have not had use of it as yet.

I say, go virtual box. I have found it works well as long as there is enough RAM for both the host and 'servant' OS's. Oh, and the chip supports virtualisation. But since the Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 supports virtualisation (Only Atoms do not I believe) then you are in the clear.
Jedinovice
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Brasso on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks Jedinovice,

I've never used a virtual machine at all, it sounds like mighty fun!

Thanks for this advise.
Brasso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby js3915 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Yes i would agree a Virtual Machine would be the simplist route to take if you have space on your Hard drive and your needs to go into Win2K are minimal or to preform a certain task.. Like Jedinovice mentioned the requirements for Win2K are light in terms of HD space needed etc... And obviously when VM is not running theres obviously is no impact other than the used disk space for the Virtual Image
js3915
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Reorx on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Brasso;

If you plan to surf the net with your Virtual Win2k, get a snapshot of the installation before your first surfing session. It'll save you the headache and time of re-installing your virtual Win2k when it gets slimed by the net...
Procrastinate now!
Reorx
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot