b43 and live cd boot problem (solved!)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

b43 and live cd boot problem (solved!)

Postby Sahara on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Hello
I have the known issue with the b43 Firmware while trying to boot the live cd for the installation of Mint xfce.
The boot process stops with the message:"Error b43-open/ucode5.fw not found....B43-phy0...."
I added the kernel argument b43.blacklist=yes to the boot option but the error keep to apear.
Iḿ using an Acer Aspire Laptop with ubuntu 12.4&windows xp on it (dual boot) and would like to format the hd and install alone Linux Mint.
My first Linux Mint experience is tiering... I´m trying since many hours to solve this problem but my Linux knowlege is not that much...
Doe´s anybody have an idee for a solution?
Thanks
S.
Last edited by Sahara on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sahara
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: b43 and live cd boot problem

Postby WharfRat on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Sahara,

I've used this syntax modprobe.blacklist=b43

Give that line a try.
WharfRat
Level 11
Level 11

Re: b43 and live cd boot problem (solved!)

Postby Sahara on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:39 am

Hi
WharfRat wrote:Sahara,

I've used this syntax modprobe.blacklist=b43

Give that line a try.

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn´t function. Trying to boot the live cd ends up like always with a black screen. I don´t even reach any menu, only the first "Linux Mint" screen with the "blincking green points".
The boot parameter (modprobe.blacklist=b43) I added with Ubuntu, (which still functions on my laptop but without functioning Wlan).
Is there another way which i could try??
:?
EDIT
Problem is solved. That was a newbie Problem, I just didn´t know how to reach the compatibility mode :oops:
(pressing the F1-F6 whlie booting the live cd, booting in this mode solved the problem).
Sahara
Level 1
Level 1

Re: b43 and live cd boot problem (solved!)

Postby WharfRat on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 am

Sahara wrote:Problem is solved. That was a newbie Problem, I just didn´t know how to reach the compatibility mode :oops:
(pressing the F1-F6 whlie booting the live cd, booting in this mode solved the problem).

That was going to be my next suggestion. I installed mint on a few computers and my dell laptop, for unexplained reasons, required compatibility mode.

There's so exorbitant hardware in it, just the 'stock' intel integrated graphics which never exhibited any idiosyncrasies before :?

Glad to hear you got it figured out, enjoy :wink:
WharfRat
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Installation & Boot