Linux Illitereate - Boot Disc <SOLVED>

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux Illitereate - Boot Disc <SOLVED>

Postby Fara on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 pm

I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have a computer that is not working. Hard drive I believe.

I was told to download Linux MINT to a DVD and use it to boot the computer from. I accidentally downloaded MINT to my laptop hard drive. I went to open it and it said that something wasn't installed properly and to re-download it. So I did. Same thing.

I burned it onto a disc straight from the site. Went to open it. Again, something wasn't installed properly and I was to redo the download. I used a separate disc and downloaded straight to disc. I thought maybe if I put the disc in the non-working computer and just tried to boot from the dvd that it might work.

nothing. Again.

Would someone mind telling me how to get Linux to download to a disc so I can use it to boot a non-working computer?
And if you use abbreviations or lingo, I'm not going to understand a single thing. All computer knowledge I had 10 year ago has atrophied or died.
Last edited by Fara on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fara
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Illitereate

Postby rokytnji on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Linux user 475019.
rokytnji
Level 3
Level 3

Postby daveinuk on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 pm

The file you downloaded is probably ok, its what you're trying to do to it that's wrong.

You need to burn the mint image (called and ISO) to a dvd, using a program such as active iso burner which is free and available if you search the net, download and install that and then use it to make your dvd. You then need to tell the compluter to use that to boot from, you do this by altering the BIOS settings, when your machine boots up you will see text on screen giving you a clue, it will say something like - press F2 to interupt startup and change the BIOS settings, (could be that key or delete/F8 etc they're all different) press it, wait for the blue screen, when you're in, look for boot/startup press enter and it takes you into that part, you need to find your dvd player and using the keys, put it in No1 position, this may be by a certain key like F6 or the + key, look to the right of the screen for text telling you. When dvd is at the top, press F10 to save and enter to exit and take you back to the machine booting up which should now be from the dvd - from here you can browse the features of mint or chose to install it.

Maybe try the BIOS bit first to see if you can figure it out/ watch a video on youtube maybe, if anything doesn't make sense, come back and ask, good luck.
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fara on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:56 pm

daveinuk wrote:The file you downloaded is probably ok, its what you're trying to do to it that's wrong.

You need to burn the mint image (called and ISO) to a dvd, using a program such as active iso burner which is free and available if you search the net, download and install that and then use it to make your dvd. You then need to tell the compluter to use that to boot from, you do this by altering the BIOS settings, when your machine boots up you will see text on screen giving you a clue, it will say something like - press F2 to interupt startup and change the BIOS settings, (could be that key or delete/F8 etc they're all different) press it, wait for the blue screen, when you're in, look for boot/startup press enter and it takes you into that part, you need to find your dvd player and using the keys, put it in No1 position, this may be by a certain key like F6 or the + key, look to the right of the screen for text telling you. When dvd is at the top, press F10 to save and enter to exit and take you back to the machine booting up which should now be from the dvd - from here you can browse the features of mint or chose to install it.

Maybe try the BIOS bit first to see if you can figure it out/ watch a video on youtube maybe, if anything doesn't make sense, come back and ask, good luck.

Thank you a million times over. I'm ashamed to say I have allowed my computer skills to die such a painful death :oops: , but you helped me and I'm VERY grateful!! :D
I tried this one first b/c it was a pretty basic explanation and if it didn't work I was going to go through the YouTube videos. Thank you, again!!!
Fara
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Illitereate - Boot Disc <SOLVED>

Postby daveinuk on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:18 pm

You're welcome Fara,

Glad you got it done, you're knowledge wil start improving once you get settled into Mint :wink:

Expect to fudge things up a little here and there while you get used to Linux, it works differently to windows and there is a learning curve, I've only been dabbling just over 2 years and still consider myself a n00b, but I also feel like I've learnt more in that 2 years than the previous 15 in MS lol :lol:

Explore the forum, tons on info on it, lots of help if you can't find the answer, same goes for searching the net, you can more or less guarantee whatever you break, someone will have done it before you, and fixed it ...... :wink:
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot