Can't Load Mint 15 From Live USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't Load Mint 15 From Live USB

Postby JosephRT on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm trying to install Mint 15 on my new laptop, but I'm running into some trouble. I'm trying to install it on my new ultrabook which doesn't have a disk drive so I made a bootable USB drive using the Universal USB Installer. It seemed to install on the drive correctly because when I plug it into my laptop it does boot up into grub. When I try to boot into Mint, though, I simply get a completely black screen: no prompt, no text, nothing. I've tried the various methods I've found through the sticky up at the top of the forum and through Googling, wiping and reinstalling the USB drive, appending "nomodeset xforcevesa", "nomodeset", or "nva.modeset=1" to the end of the "quiet splash" line on the grub options, but still no luck. It does look like my back light is on, I just have a blank screen. I've also disabled "Secure Boot" in my BIOS.

Laptop: Asus UX51Vz-XH71
  • Intel Core i7-3612QM 2.1GHz
  • 8GB DDR3
  • 2 X 256 GB SSD drives in RAID 0
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT650M

I'm honestly not 100% sure what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I've also tried Mint 13 and 14 with the same results.
JosephRT
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't Load Mint 15 From Live USB

Postby aless80 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 am

Do you have Windows 8 with UEFI (the new BIOS)? I guess you have to boot in your Live USB from Legacy (aka old BIOS), not from UEFI. So, disable secure boot, disable fast boot, enable Legacy and boot in the Live USB under Legacy
if you are trying to install Linux I just posted these instructions:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=143185&p=756565#p756565
aless80
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't Load Mint 15 From Live USB

Postby JosephRT on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks aless80, I managed to fix it. It was that combination of settings plus an extra security setting. Thanks!
JosephRT
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot