Downloading Updates?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Downloading Updates?

Postby Simtech68 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:53 am

OK, I finally have Maya running the why I like it and everything seems to be operating just fine. I found a little icon in the lower left of the tool bar that says 595 updated available(472MB) should I download all of these??? I'm not looking for a walk thru of each and every one of the updates but reading thru almost 600 of them would seem to take a long time.I've read quite a few of them, most would seem to be needed but was unsure being new to Mint. Is it best to download all of them to get Maya up to date? Second what the difference between the different levels(1, 2 and 3) in the update manager?

Any advice on the best way to handle these would be helpful! I'd just didn't want to blindly download these just because the software told me to.
Details, details, and more details will help get the answers you seek!!
Simtech68
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Downloading Updates?

Postby kc1di on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 am

I would go for it , update only updates pacakages that are already installed so it should not change things too much.
Good Luck
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Postby karlchen on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:47 am

Hello, Simtech68.

Mint 13 Maya was released 15 months ago. The ISO image which you downloaded and installed is still the May edition of Mint 13.
During the past 15 months the underlying Ubuntu has received a ton of updates and has advanced from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.04 SP1, 12.04 SP2 and 12.04 SP3. Even the Mint part has experienced a lot few updates. E.g. Cnnamon advanced from v1.4 to v1.6.7 and finally to v1.8.8.
So yes, after a fresh installation of Mint 13 Maya it is to be expected to get confronted with a list of roundabout 600 updates. And as kc1di said they should be accepted and installed in order to update your outdated fresh installation to the current state. Future updates will be smaller. - And just to make this clear: the updater only offers updates for software packages which are already installed on your disk. It does not offer to install any additional software.

Kind regards,
Karl
Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya, impressed by Petra.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Simtech68 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

What Karl said is what I figured it was, since I installed an older version the updates were to make the install current but just recently coming from the M$ world most of this is still newish to me, so I thought I would ask.

Again thanks for the input
Details, details, and more details will help get the answers you seek!!
Simtech68
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot