Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Postby steve9199 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:18 pm

For some strange reason, when I booted up today I saw not one but 2 Linux Mint kernels in GRUB, along with my XP partition.

Linux Mint Kernel 2.6.24.19-rt and

Linux Mint Kernel 2.6.24-16-generic

What have I done?
steve9199
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Postby proxima_centauri on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:13 pm

You probably did an update through synaptic and got a newer kernel. If the new one seems to be working fine then you're probably alright.

If you want to remove the old one you can go to Terminal ->
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and remove the relevant lines for the old kernel.

should look something like

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

Post back if you need any additional advice.
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3968
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Re: Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Postby steve9199 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:11 pm

proxima_centauri wrote:You probably did an update through synaptic and got a newer kernel. If the new one seems to be working fine then you're probably alright.

If you want to remove the old one you can go to Terminal ->
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and remove the relevant lines for the old kernel.

should look something like

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

Post back if you need any additional advice.



Thank you for the walkthrough. Second Linux Kernel no longer listed in GRUB, and all seems to be working fine.

A small observation....it looks to me like a person could REALLY mess up their operating system using GEDIT. Thankfully there are more than a few "Gurus" out there to help a NooB like me get tihngs sorted out. In case nobody's ever said it, I appreciate you.

Steve
steve9199
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Re: Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Postby linuxviolin on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:26 pm

If everything works well and if not already done so, you can uninstall the old kernel with Synaptic (make sure to uninstall all packages related to the old kernel...)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Postby steve9199 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:19 pm

linuxviolin wrote:If everything works well and if not already done so, you can uninstall the old kernel with Synaptic (make sure to uninstall all packages related to the old kernel...)


I'm not sure how to go about that. I only downloaded a music recorder package using Synaptic and the files associated with it. Guess that's how I wound up updating my Kernel.

If you have a walkthrough, it would be appreciated.

Thanks...Steve
steve9199
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Re: Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Postby linuxviolin on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:39 am

Open Synaptic and search for 'kernel 2.6.24-16-generic' or just 'kernel' for example and remove all packages related to your old kernel. But just a hint: the old kernel can serve as a relief to start your system if one day you have any problems with the 'new' kernel... You may want to keep it, including in your Grub, in case. It's up to you! :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Postby steve9199 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:07 pm

linuxviolin wrote:Open Synaptic and search for 'kernel 2.6.24-16-generic' or just 'kernel' for example and remove all packages related to your old kernel. But just a hint: the old kernel can serve as a relief to start your system if one day you have any problems with the 'new' kernel... You may want to keep it, including in your Grub, in case. It's up to you! :D


Merci' Beaucoups....(spelling?)

If it's not going to do any harm, I'd just as soon leave it. No sense uninstalling something if it's not necessary. I've only been using the Mint half of my computer for a couple of months and there's still tons of room on tha partition.

I did remove it from the GRUB though...if anything goes wrong I can just use the recovery partiton of the new kernel, right?

.......if nothing else, I still have the disk for a clean install..LOL!

Thanks again- Steve
steve9199
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Re: Odd...there are 2 Kernels in GRUB.

Postby linuxviolin on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:40 pm

steve9199 wrote:I did remove it from the GRUB though...if anything goes wrong I can just use the recovery partiton of the new kernel, right?


Maybe yes maybe not... It is sometimes interesting to keep 2 kernels. Really sometimes we can be happy to have kept an older kernel.... :wink:

But personnally after a kernel update and several days of testing, if everything works well I remove the old kernel.

But it's me and again if you are unsure/unsecure (hmm my english... :lol: ) and if the old kernel worked well you may want to keep it, in case. Again it's up to you!
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Installation & Boot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 15 guests