Alert /dev/sdf3 does not exist

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Alert /dev/sdf3 does not exist

Postby Jesterace on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:47 am

First I must say what a beautiful distro this is, just right up my alley. The live cd runs perfectly all my hardware is initialized. So I go to install and it will not boot off the hard drive. It seems to be hanging with the card reader that's built in on this PC since it sees each slot as a drive. Anyone have any issues with built in card readers? I really don't want to disable it or remove it as I do use it with my PSP and camera.

Any thoughts what might cause it to stop? This is happening while the splash screen is up with the little progress bar moving back and forth and eventually it'll dump me to terminal if I leave it long enough.

I get Alert /dev/sdf3 does not exist so I'm thinking something to do with the desigination of the drives perhaps.
Jesterace
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Alert /dev/sdf3 does not exist

Postby 67GTA on Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:12 pm

If your sure it is your card reader you could boot into recovery mode and see if it is in your fstab file. If it is, you could try to remove it so it wouldn't ry to mount it at boot. You could use nano to edit it in recovery mode.
Code: Select all
sudo nano /etc/fstab
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Jesterace on Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Yeah, I think that's what I'll try to do, I can't boot into recovery mode either because of it so I'll just have to see if I can edit it with the livecd.
Jesterace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jesterace on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:26 pm

Well I took a second look when I went to reinstall Mint. I noticed that my sata drive was /dev/hdf and my ide drive was hde. So I said if it wants hdf so much I'll install it on that that drive and voila it's working :D
Jesterace
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot