Dual boot(Win 7, Mint) GRUB error: grub rescue>

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Dual boot(Win 7, Mint) GRUB error: grub rescue>

Postby kristian12321 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm new to linux. I was dual booting win 7 and linux mint. I descided to remove linux mint for a whiile and to make some changes (increase,merge) of my partitions and then install it again. So I booted Windows 7 and from there I formated the 3 partitons (swap,boot and home) on which i had Linux installed. I formated them and then merged them to my D disk. After that i shrinked 50 Gb from my D-disk to make some unnallocated (free) space so I can install Linux again. But after I restarted my PC it wouldn't boot. It gives me the message:
"No such partition
grub rescue>"
I am aware that linux mint was on my MBR and i think it means that it will always boot first over windows 7 or something like that. But now the damage is made so can anyone tell me what to type in that "grub rescue>" so i can at least boot windows 7. And also after booting Win 7 what should I do to set Win 7 loader to be on my MBR i.e to Win 7 to be the first so boot? And please can you give me some tip on how to safety unninstall linux from dual boot so i will know what to do next time?
kristian12321
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual boot(Win 7, Mint) GRUB error: grub rescue>

Postby wayne128 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:23 pm

kristian12321 wrote:I descided to remove linux mint for a whiile and to make some changes (increase,merge) of my partitions and then install it again.

"No such partition
grub rescue>"

I am aware that linux mint was on my MBR

and i think it means that it will always boot first over windows 7 or something like that.

Not really..

But now the damage is made so can anyone tell me what to type in that "grub rescue>" so i can at least boot windows 7.

I do not think it will be OK, grub has two parts, one in mbr, another in Linux root partition that was already erased. I think no point working on grub rescue.

And also after booting Win 7 what should I do to set Win 7 loader to be on my MBR i.e to Win 7 to be the first so boot?

Now here is what you can do, there are many ways, but this is one of the ways.

1. Boot with Linux OS from DVD or USB and run in Live mode
2. hopefully you have internet working
3. install lilo with this command
sudo apt-get install lilo
4. install lilo to mbr with this command
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
5. reboot and check if all is well.

And please can you give me some tip on how to safety unninstall linux from dual boot so i will know what to do next time?

One way is, let Windows OS take over the mbr first.
This can be done, relatively easy , first run Win7, then get and install EasyBCD from Neosmart, then run it, and in one of the menu ( just follow tutorial) write windows boot loader to mbr.

Reboot to check and be sure that now you are greeted with Windows simple boot menu.

When this is OK, then, you can use any type of partition editor ( windows version, third party, or Linux version like gparted) and remove the Linux OS partition, or format it to another type for your use, or merge to adjacent partition , whatever the options available in your existing partitioning scheme.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot