Keyboard problem within GRUB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Keyboard problem within GRUB

Postby spenncerr on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm proud to say that Mint LInux is the first distro i've installed and actually been happy with the results. Everything went smooth, drivers were installed automatically and i'm dual booted Mint/XP, it's awesome.

When I found out about Mint I knew I had to try it out as I was just using XP at the time. I backed up any data I needed and went on with clearing my hard drives, I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP onto a 120GB hard drive, which went smoothly for once ;) I then downloaded the Mint ISO and copied it onto a disc and booted into the Live CD, I poked around a few bits and realised how nice it really was and continued with clicking that lovely "Install" button on the desktop.

I installed Mint onto a clean 80GB hard drive to keep it separate from my Windows installation completely. The Mint installation also installed GRUB with no problems and I can now boot up my PC and choose to boot into Windows or Mint, but here's my problem:

Upon the GRUB loading screen I have 4 options, Mint, safe Mint, (something I cant remember) and then Windows XP. I cannot for some reason use my keyboard on the GRUB boot screen, I'm currently using a Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 so it's connected via wireless USB so I'm wondering if that's the problem, because the keyboard works fine whilst I'm typing this in Mint.

I hope I didn't ramble too long or post this in the wrong section ;)

-spenncerr
spenncerr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Keyboard problem within GRUB

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:54 am

Now I'm confused
I can now boot up my PC and choose to boot into Windows or Mint

You do that with the keyboard don't you?
And in grub...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby spenncerr on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Husse wrote:Now I'm confused
I can now boot up my PC and choose to boot into Windows or Mint

You do that with the keyboard don't you?
And in grub...

Yes. But I can't use my Logitech keyboard to do it. I have to plug in a normal Keyboard port one :)
spenncerr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:21 am

I have a wireless Logitech, but it's connected to the PS2 as is the mouse
They work like a "normal" set in every respect
I think this may have to do with USB and not wireless, because the wireless part is "outside" and independent of the operating system
Check settings for USB in the BIOS
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby eStyleS on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:03 pm

This is almost certainly a BIOS issue. I had this problem with my computer (been running Ubuntu for a few months - I messed up my settings a bit recently, so instead of reinstalling Ubuntu, I'm gonna try out Mint as soon as I get time to install it), and I thought that it couldn't possibly be a BIOS issue, because my USB keyboard works fine to enter the BIOS and modify settings.

I believe this is because, if the BIOS is not set for USB keyboard support, it will relinquish control of the keyboard, expecting the OS to supply drivers. Grub, however, loads in between the BIOS and the OS, so you have to enable USB keyboard support in the BIOS. I can't guarantee that my explanation for the *reason* behind the problem is correct, but I'm pretty sure that this should fix your problem.
eStyleS

Return to Installation & Boot