Need help installing on an old Smartstep 100n

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Need help installing on an old Smartstep 100n

Postby NoSmokingBandit on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:00 pm

I found an old Dell Smartstep 100n laying around so i decided to install linux on it. It has a 1ghz Celeron cpu and a whopping 128mb ram. I have Xp installed and im trying to dual-boot with either Ubuntu or Mint, neither of which i can get to work. The only distro i got to install is PCLOS and i hate RPM-based distros so im itching to get something else on there. The Elyssa cd loads fine, but once all the text scrolls by i am left with just a blank screen with the cd drive constantly reading. I booted into the compatibility mode but it didnt really help anything.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
NoSmokingBandit
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Need help installing on an old Smartstep 100n

Postby 67GTA on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:57 pm

It is recommended to have at least 256MB RAM for installation with a live CD, but I have done it with 128MB. You may have to go for the Ubuntu alternate CD to get it on that old machine. It is probably hardware related. Have you tried any of the live CD workarounds? http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby NoSmokingBandit on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:11 pm

I have tried the mini ubuntu cd, but that wont even work, which makes me think that ubuntu hates my computer, which of course explains why Mint hates it too.
I have not tried any of the workarounds simply because i am lazy and was hoping someone would know an easy fix,lol :D I will try them though. I like PCLOS, but nothing compares to how easy Mint is, so im pretty desperate to get it working on this old lappy.
Thanks for the help anyway, ill post what happens when i run all the workaround deals. Probably not tonight because im really freaking tired, but soon :wink:
NoSmokingBandit
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NoSmokingBandit on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:02 pm

alight! Im making progress (i hope, lol). I ran Elyssa in Compatibility Mode with "ro single" then when i got to the options of the recovery mode i chose to fix the xserver. It did its business then i chose the Normal Boot option. Its loaded up everything and now i see the mouse and a big white box in the top left of the screen. The mouse stays a pointer until it is a certain area of the qhite square, then it is the text entry thing.
Ill try more stuff to see what happens, but if anyone has any ideas i am open for suggestions.\

Edit:
I hit ctrl-Atl-backspace to see whats going on under the xserver and i get a constantly scrolling list of SquashFS errors all telling me that the block d3acdb1 cant be read.
NoSmokingBandit
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:12 pm

That sounds like a bad CD, or a failing CD drive.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby NoSmokingBandit on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:07 pm

idk how, ut somehow i got the ubuntu mini-cd to load and install...
Im so confused, lol
Everything works great minus the video driver, but at least im back to ubuntu.
Thanks for the help anyway bro, i appreciate it.
NoSmokingBandit
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot