Installing Linux Mint will break my Windows 8 License Key?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Installing Linux Mint will break my Windows 8 License Ke

Postby Orbmiser on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:16 pm

AlbertP wrote:Microsoft indeed does not allow the computer manufacturers to sell Win7 computers, more than a year after Win8's introduction. And that date is nearing.

So they are going ahead and now Shoot their other Foot? :?
God they just don't get it.

But maybe just maybe the Sheeple will accept it. As they are use to bending over for Big Business! :shock:
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby AlbertP on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Indeed, that's also how I am seeing it. I don't regret it, though. It can only be good to Linux if users are fed up with MS.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Reorx on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 pm

I think that sheeple who don't do "work" on computers will accept the "new" interface just fine. It gives them almost no control over the hardware, but they don't care about that. It IS a bit foreign to people who use computers at work to word process or do spreadsheet work or etc... but it is very familiar to the smartphone crowd. To folks who don't do work with computers, a computer is just a large version of the toy that they carry in their pocket. And for the people who DO do work on computers at the office, there are "add-ons" (some free some inexpensive) that will give them a Win7 DE on a win8 machine - http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/.

I am sure that there will be a large number of refugees as a result of Win8 but I think we will all be surprised at how many consumers will just drink the koolaid... :(

I am also surprised that there isn't a native app that will allow the win8 user to select whichever interface they like... It's like using different DEs on the same distro version that we do now...
Procrastinate now!
Reorx
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Orbmiser on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Yep never understood Windows stance on releasing Win8.
As would have given that as default and don't care for it click on here to change back to start menu mode.

Wasted time now bringing it back in 8.1 I believe? And generated a backlash that could have been avoided in the first place.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Dngrsone on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:10 pm

MS saw the writing on the wall and realized that people were migrating to portables in droves, and the desktop (their primary platform) was quickly going to become a niche item, even in the business community which its their primary consumer.

Better to get everyone used to a touchscreen interface in their OS to rule them all...

Big business will be buying touch screen all-in-ones in the near future as well as tablets of various sizes to get things done more efficiently.

Microsoft recognizes that and are pretending that everyone already has touch devices in a bid to future proof Win 8.

I have the feeling their next big OS won't come out until 2016 or later, and I am betting it won't be called Windows 9.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4
Dngrsone
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Mark Phelps on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 am

But I have to think that if you are running Win8 and you have a mobo meltdown and are forced to replace the mobo, that there must be some sort of work around... you might have to contact MS directly for assistance but as I said i want to believe that there is a way to change mobo without buying another Win8 License... There must be someone here who is a PC repair tech that has a definitive answer to this... (again, I want to believe...) :mrgreen: With a little luck, they'll chime in...

MS won't help you -- as this is an OEM decision, not MS. The OEM might help, if the machine is still under warranty, by replacing the motherboard for you -- but they will charge you (probably a LOT) for that.

...maybe the answer is that, in addition to moving the CPU/fan assembly to the new mobo, you also have to move the BIOS chip! Of course, you would then be locked in to only using a mobo from the original manufacturer... those devious little rascals...

It's unlikely you could actually "move" the BIOS chip as they are not designed to be moveable.

If the PC came with Win8 preinstalled, you should contact the OEM and see what they will do for you. You're not going to be able to migrate this yourself.
Mark Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Postby calgrainger90 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:15 pm

The easiest way would be to either back up your mint install and do a dual boot or reinstall either under uefi or legacy and reinstall windows 8 dont have to do updates or anything just activate and use a keyfinder which will show the key contained in the bios. then in the mint install just use the key. now the issue that would come to play is that windows 8 is insanly picky i mean ive lost my activation status over a wifi card upgrade so running in a vm i would imagine would prompt a failed activation. either way those are the best alternatives
as for the oem aspect im assumong your running a core verision not the windows 8 pro so just find a version of it weather or not it is retail it will still recognize the key and activate from the bios

iamfilipe wrote:Hello everyone. First of all, I want to pay apologise for any mistake in this text, once english is not my native language. After that said, I want to say that I am very happy to join Linux Mint forums and contribute to help this amazing project :D

I've used Linux Mint Mate, Cinnamon, LMDE and KDE, and honestly I like them all :D but recently I bought a new Samsung laptop that comes with a preinstalled Windows 8, and although I like very much Linux, I think that I might need some software that for now only Windows has. So, I tried VirtualBox, and installing the Linux Mint on a USB 3.0 device, but it isn't the same thing as having it installed on the internal Hard Drive. So I was wondering if I could install Linux Mint alongside Windows (or in replace of Windows, haven't decided yet), and in case of anything goes wrong, I can switch back to my licenced Windows 8 desktop? Will I lose the license key, since it is no more writen in the sticker and I have no Windows DVD? In any case, I will do a backup .iso in Recovery software, and maybe in Clonezilla too, but is this enough? Because I don't want to lose the license, since it cost me money :c I searched in Google and Mint forums, but I wan't clarified enough to make this step :c hope someone can help me though. Anyway, thanks in advance

Fr0sk
calgrainger90
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Installation & Boot