Failure Booting After Installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Failure Booting After Installation

Postby solarwind on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:24 pm

So I installed this awesome distribution and right after booting, I was presented with the boot splash, but with a progress bar that would never stop moving. Eventually, it dropped me to a shell. I mounted and discovered that my devices were actually being named sdx instead of hdx. However, GRUB was booting the kernel with root=/dev/hdb2 instead of /dev/sdb2. That's why it didn't boot. Anyway, it was easy enough to fix since I have a lot of Linux experience, however, this might frustrate new users to NO END and this is a pretty hard problem to fix if you are new to Linux.

1. Anyone have an idea why this was happening? Oh, and my root partition is a jfs filesystem if that has anything to do with it.
2. My suggestion is: Use UUIDs instead of device names to boot. I'm pretty sure that that will fix the problem.

I switched to Linux Mint after hearing how awesome a distro it is and I must agree. It takes everything I love about all other distros and puts it all together. I love it. I love it more than my own family.

But as I said, if I gave it to my Windows-using friend to install on his machine and he had this problem, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to solve it by phone/IM since instructing a noob how to use a terminal is next to impossible. That's why I think that this problem should be fixed by using UUIDs like Ubuntu (I think Ubuntu uses UUIDs to boot anyway, not 100% sure, but I never had this problem when I installed Ubuntu).
solarwind
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby newio on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:09 am

yeah, im a noob but i won't be giving up Mint..

sooooo..... how bout a howto on how to fix the problem so that even us noobies can do something about it...
newio
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:17 am

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby Husse on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:29 am

One thing is sure UUID brings more trouble and solves only a few - mainly consistent naming of external disks that are not connected all the time - apart from that it's a good recipe for trouble
With Gutsy (I think perhaps earlier) there's a new hard disk driver that treats all disks as SATA (My memory fails me - I can't remember the name) so disks are called sdx
hdx should work I think
This is a part of something odd with either grub or Ubiquity (the installer) in Elyssa/Hardy
I see a few reports of inconsistency in this area
I have to alert the team, but I fear this is too much upstream for us to be able to make a fix
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19714
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby solarwind on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:30 am

newio wrote:yeah, im a noob but i won't be giving up Mint..

sooooo..... how bout a howto on how to fix the problem so that even us noobies can do something about it...


You have the same problem or are you just being sarcastic?
solarwind
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby newio on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:09 am

no... i definatly have the same problem... drops me to a initramfs shell. if i reboot the machine like 5 times, it'll eventually boot.. but doing that is starting to wear thin...

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14555
newio
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:17 am

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby solarwind on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:48 pm

newio wrote:no... i definatly have the same problem... drops me to a initramfs shell. if i reboot the machine like 5 times, it'll eventually boot.. but doing that is starting to wear thin...

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14555


Ok, show me the file /boot/grub/menu.lst

Now type "ls /dev/hd*" and post the output.
Type "ls /dev/sd*" and post the output as well.

I'll try to help as best I can.
solarwind
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby newio on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:37 am

cheers solar!

my config is posted int the other thread..

Here's the other stuff your after

menu.lst
Code: Select all
title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel memtest86+
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/memtest86+.bin
boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title           Other operating systems:
root


# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sdc1
title           Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
root            (hd2,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map             (hd0) (hd2)
map             (hd2) (hd0)
chainloader     +1


Code: Select all
mint@mint-02:~$ ls /dev/hd*
ls: /dev/hd*: No such file or directory


Code: Select all
ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda  /dev/sda1  /dev/sdb  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sdb2  /dev/sdc  /dev/sdc1


sda1 = Ntfs WIndows Vista Parition
sdb1 = Ext3 Mint
sdb2 = Swap
sdc1 = Ntfs data partition
newio
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:17 am

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby Husse on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:28 am

I'm working on a solution to this grub thing - not there yet but soon
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19714
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby solarwind on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 am

newio wrote:cheers solar!

my config is posted int the other thread..

Here's the other stuff your after

menu.lst
Code: Select all
title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel memtest86+
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/memtest86+.bin
boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title           Other operating systems:
root


# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sdc1
title           Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
root            (hd2,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map             (hd0) (hd2)
map             (hd2) (hd0)
chainloader     +1


Code: Select all
mint@mint-02:~$ ls /dev/hd*
ls: /dev/hd*: No such file or directory


Code: Select all
ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda  /dev/sda1  /dev/sdb  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sdb2  /dev/sdc  /dev/sdc1


sda1 = Ntfs WIndows Vista Parition
sdb1 = Ext3 Mint
sdb2 = Swap
sdc1 = Ntfs data partition


Ok, now in your /boot/grub/menu.lst, add this at the end:

Code: Select all
title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic VERBOSE
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single vga=775
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot


Now reboot. If it works, reboot until it doesn't work and tell me the last few lines of what it said before it drops you to a shell or whatever.
solarwind
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby Husse on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:49 am

There is a topic in the wiki now that I hope helps
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19714
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Installation & Boot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 23 guests