Cannot boot Mint 13

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cannot boot Mint 13

Postby gattofix on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm having a strange problem.

I used to install Mint 13 from DVD, and it always worked, the computer hardware is the same, but neither the Mint DVD nor the USB Stick install work.

I get shown the installation menu, choose "Linux Mint", then the DVD (or dhe USB stick) keep reading for some time, then, at some point, no more reading, just a grey screen with a blinking cursor.

The DVD is older, I burned the image at least a year ago. The image I used for the USB stick, on the other hand, I downloaded just now, checked the MD5 sum, the stick is in FAT32, it should simply work.

I can boot other CDs: Rescatux, Paragon Recovery CD, Windows 8. They all work. Just the Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit version stops launching at some point.

I have an external USB hard drive, as well, and unplugged it because I thought it might confuse the installer - no change.

Any ideas...?

By the way, currently I am having Windows 8 and Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit installed, but I get error messages when booting, so I thought I should reinstall it from scratch. Having said that, if I don't solve this problem, I might have to revert to Ubuntu 12.04 and try if that boots successfully... But I want to stick to Mint!

Frank
gattofix
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot boot Mint 13

Postby administrollaattori on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 pm

blinking cursor. ...

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=105627

Workaround for LMDE 201012 32-bit users:

If you downloaded LMDE 201012 32-bit and all you're getting is a black screen, you might just be a kernel argument away from a successful boot. The solution is to download 201101, but you can save 1GB of download and a new DVD by using the following arguments:

* For ATI chipsets: radeon.modeset=0
* For nVidia chipsets: xforcevesa or nomodeset
* For GeForce and Generic: nouveau.modeset=0
* For Intel: i915.modeset=0

This should give you a live session in low resolution. Since the embedded kernel is already up-to-date, you don't need to configure anything post-installation and your system should then boot in high resolution.
administrollaattori
Level 6
Level 6

Postby gattofix on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:53 pm

I did the following:

I booted the live CD, pressed Tab for additional options, with xforcevesa and nouveau.modeset=0 no change.

The screen gets bright grey and the CD-ROM / USB-Stick (same behaviour) stop working after a few seconds. So the screen is not black, but grey.

When I tried "nomodeset", I actually got for the first time a message before the installation freezes:

(initranfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop 0 on //filesystem.sqaushfs failed: Invalid argument
Can not mount /dev/loop 0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

Any ideas?

It is really crazy, for the first time in years I am not able to install Linux Mint! The mainboard is the same as it used to be when I installed Linux Mint last successfully. Only the CPU has changed. I had to do a Bios Upgrade half a year ago, but I guess that is not related, is it? And by contrast, the Ubuntu 12.04 installation works. But I'd like to have Mint back, as Cinnamon causes problems on top of Ubuntu, I find.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Frank
gattofix
Level 1
Level 1

Postby administrollaattori on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:55 pm

administrollaattori
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot