Mint won't boot due to faulty root filesystem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint won't boot due to faulty root filesystem

Postby tomk@hawks on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:32 pm

I seem to have a corrupted root filesystem. Whenever I try to boot I get past splash screen and a file system check occurs due to detected errors. Sometimes I get a request to run fcsk but I need root password. There is no root password. I am unable to proceed and I go around in circles trying to boot again. Live CD works no problems but doesn't recognise or I can't find the data on the original partition/mint installation. I have tried testdisk from the Insert application and it recognises partition but don't know how to repair from here. I would prefer not to do a reinstall, but would like to locate and copy data to a USB if not able to repair faulty root filesystem. Any ideas? I am a relative newbie but the question seemed more appropriate in this section.

Thanks,
Tom
tomk@hawks
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint won't boot due to faulty root filesystem

Postby newW2 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:54 pm

Was this working before, as in could you boot repeatedly without problems? Or did you install, and on the first boot the problem appeared? What are you system particulars? What type of hard drive or hard drives do you have (ide, sata, a mix of ide and sata)? Did you install any other distribution after you installed Linux Mint?
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby tomk@hawks on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi, Thanks for replying. I tried Linux for the first time with Mint 2-3 months ago. It was all good and I was happy with the ease of use and installation. I have completed all updates and downloaded a number of applications, generally no problems. No luck since this filesystem problem though. The computer has the one linux partition (plus swap etc..). It is a pentium 4 2ghz with 756 mb ram. The harddrive is 80gb ide. I have not tried any other distributions yet. I can do a directory and file listing using testdisk of this partion from a live CD but that is all.

Thanks,
Tom
tomk@hawks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tomk@hawks on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi All,

To those who are interested I found a solution to my problem. The main thing was that I couldn't run fsck without root access but I hadn't taken the option to allow root access and a password in the mint installation process. Another topic in this forum provided the answer: Run the live CD, and then open a terminal and run "sudo fsck -y /dev/mydisk". This fixed the root filesystem and all worked. I have acknowledged the person who suggested this in the other topic.

Thanks for reading,
Tom
tomk@hawks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Very good!
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot