Can't Boot - External Drive solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't Boot - External Drive solved

Postby yapyisoon on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:01 am

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm a complete newbie to doing things in Linux. Mint rocks, prefer it to Ubuntu, openSUSE and PCLinuxOS.

My laptop (modern specs with graphics card) is running WinXP, and I wanted to be able to boot Mint from an external drive.

With the CD, when I installed Mint to the external drive with my WinXP drive in the laptop (direct boot from CD, not within XP), although I chose all the right options (install only to whole of external drive) GRUB totally screwed my boot to the point where I couldn't boot from either (bios settings all done) in any configuration - swapping both drives in laptop / attaching the other via USB / etc. I had to repair my boot file. Whew, that was a real moment!

My only alternative was to install Mint into the laptop drive (meaning taking out my WinXP drive) and I now physically swap drives whenever I need to use the other OS. With the Mint installed drive, trying to run it as an external drive does not work, it loads, I enter my pasword, then it goes into the 'infram' prompt screen.

I do not want to dual boot from the same drive as I need my windows to be 100% safe since I may still do something dumb in Linux and mess it all up, I use my laptop for business and it is precious. With Mint on a different drive, I can just explore, experiment, learn and apply as I go along. When I am 100% comfortable, then I see it as my main OS.

I do not want to run Mint from a USB drive as it is slow and ruins the whole experience.

I hope someone can help me boot my current 'Mint-on-a-external-drive'. Since I have all the configurations running to my personal taste, I hope it doesn't involve a re-install, but I really do not mind. Mint totally rocks man.

Thanks.

YYS
yapyisoon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't Boot - External Drive

Postby Husse on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:53 am

?
You say external drive, but not a USB drive
What do you have?
e-SATA
Firewire
something completely different?
Without knowing that I can't be sure, but this may be the solution for you
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
This is provided you connect and disconnect the external drive
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby yapyisoon on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:38 am

Husse wrote:?
You say external drive, but not a USB drive
What do you have?
e-SATA
Firewire
something completely different?
Without knowing that I can't be sure, but this may be the solution for you
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
This is provided you connect and disconnect the external drive

Thanks. I meant I didnt want to install on a USB flash drive. e-SATA/Firewire... dude, I have no idea, it's a 2.5" 40GB drive in an enclosure. Connects using USB. (to clarify: Mint was installed when it was the only drive connected to my laptop, in the hard drive bay. Now when trying to boot from it as an external USB hard drive, bypassing the WinXP loaded hard drive in the laptop, I get to input password but after that the Infram thingie.)

Thanks for the link, did explore that before, but after the remarks "If you only have one disk this is not for you
If you only have IDE disks or only have SATA disks this is probably not for you..." I didn't read further. Will explore and see how it turns out. Needs to be after the weekend though...
yapyisoon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:01 am

Ouch :)
I realize now that USB disks need to be mentioned
From your description I guess that is your problem
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Can't Boot - External Drive - SOLVED!

Postby yapyisoon on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:17 am

Problem solved! I am one happy man. Thanks Husse for the info. Am grateful. :D
yapyisoon
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot