[SOLVED] Mint 15 Cinnamon - Black screen with mouse cursor

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] Mint 15 Cinnamon - Black screen with mouse cursor

Postby LouisR on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:58 am

Problem solved:

I played with the system some more, and noticed all manner of squashfs and I/O errors coming out on the text consoles if you let the machine sit there a minute or two. (The same problems occurred trying to boot the SSD on my current laptop.)
The multi-boot hard drive was formatted in NTFS (for large file support) and it seems this was causing issues, either:
  • because some things didn't initialize quickly enough for other parts of the boot process (the system is old and doesn't have that much RAM either)
  • a bug of some sort interfered with reading the squashfs partition from the ISO image.

I switched to a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and made the same setup with RMPrepUSB and it boots properly in the Live CD image.
Interestingly, Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS worked with the NTFS partition.

Original post below:

Hello,

I'm trying to boot the Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon Live CD on my old laptop.

I'm booting from an RMPrepUSB-made, Grub4Dos-based, Easy2Boot USB SSD drive. It works beautifully with Ubuntu 12.04.3, Android 4.3 x86, Windows 7 and 8.1.

I've tried:
-Normal boot
-Booting into compatibility mode: unmodified, with xforcevesa nomodeset, xforcevesa alone, nomodeset alone, neither xforcevesa or nomodeset, nomodeset replaced with radeon.modeset=0, nomodeset replaced with radeonhd.modeset=0

Both get me to a black screen with my mouse pointer visible and responsive to movement inputs. Ctrl-Alt-F1 gets me a console, but nothing that shows up gives anything remotely obvious.

Ran "less /var/log/syslog" but nothing struck me as unusual in there.

lspci lists the graphics card properly: VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV610/M74 [Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT]

The laptop is an Acer TravelMate 6592:
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT
Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (ICH8M chipset)
2GB RAM
120GB HDD, with Windows 7 and 8.1 installed. (8.1 was there for a quick test, it is to be replaced with the Linux installation, and the bootloader changed to Grub along the way.)
Its BIOS is the last release made for the model.

Thanks in advance,

Louis
LouisR
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 15 Cinnamon - Black screen with mouse curs

Postby SteveSi on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Sounds like the ISO wasn't contiguous. Did you run WinContig? The latest version of E2B warns you if the ISO is not contiguous.
SteveSi
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot