Can't boot Linux Mint 15 from USB stick

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't boot Linux Mint 15 from USB stick

Postby timlinux on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:45 pm

When I try to load Linux Mint 15 from USB, it makes me wait for about a minute and a half, and then my screen goes nuts.

I created the USB using the Universal Installer from PenDriveLinux. I also got the same result when I used UNetbootin. It displays the initial screen, I choose "Linux Mint" and hit ENTER. The light on the USB stick blinks for about 1:30 or so, then I get a crazy screen. I've tried this 4 or 5 times. Once I got a black screen. Once a white screen. Once I got a line of blue characters that started at the bottom, but then filled by screen. This time it was a white background with black characters filling my screen, as in the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLtj9ieVjY . I also tried "Linux Mint Compatibility Mode" with the same results. I don't get any other menus or options. It thinks for a while and then wigs out on me. How do I get this to work?

Tim

System.....: HP Pavilion a405n
Model......: DW146A-ABA A405N
Motherboard: MSI Gamila-GL6E ?
Processor..: Intel Celeron 2.70 GHz
Hard Drive.: 74GB
RAM........: 1GB DDR PC2700
Sound......: on-board Realtek AC97
Video......: ATI Radeon 9200
Monitor....: HP Pavilion mx703
DVD-ROM....: IDE DVD-ROM 16x
Floppy.....: 3.5"
Card Reader: SD/MMC/MS/CF/SM
timlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't boot Linux Mint 15 from USB stick

Postby administrollaattori on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 am

Resolution is too high for the monitor. You could try to press Ctrl Alt + or Ctrl Alt - when the screen is pulsating.

http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie5_1.htm
<Ctrl><Alt><+>
(in X-windows) Change to the next X-server resolution (if you set up the X-server to more than one resolution). For multiple resolutions on my standard SVGA card/monitor, I have the following line in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config (the first resolution starts on default, the largest resolution determines the size of the "virtual screen"):
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "512x384" "480x300" "400x300" "1152x864"Z
Of course, first I had to configure the X server, either by using Xconfigurator, xf86config, or manually by edition the file /etc/X11/XF86Config, so that it supports the above resolutions (mostly the matter of uncommenting the line that defines my video chipset, and specifying the synchronization frequencies my monitor supports). XFdrake (Mandrake configuration utility) can do it from GUI. See also the commands xvidtune and xvidgen.

<Ctrl><Alt><->
(in X-windows) Change to the previous X-server resolution.
administrollaattori
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can't boot Linux Mint 15 from USB stick

Postby timlinux on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks for replying. Pressing <Ctrl><Alt><+> didn't do anything. Or <Ctrl><Alt><-> either.
timlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot