Cannot install Mint. Qparted fails.....

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cannot install Mint. Qparted fails.....

Postby jbrush on Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:40 pm

I tried some time ago, to install Ubuntu from the Live CD, and it will not work on my system. I had to go and dig up the 'other' Ubuntu disk, to get it to install.

I really want to check out Mint, but it has the same issue when installing to the HD, from the LIVE CD....

In both the Ubuntu and Mint Live CD installs, I get to where it wants to partition things, and when it goes to open qparted, it just hangs. I get a tiny window with qparted on the menu bar, and that is all she wrote.

My drive is already partitioned, and I can surely use another live distro to create the filesystem, but the Mint/Ubuntu install always wants qparted, and so here I am, with no way to get Mint onto my machine...... Any ideas, or suggestions?

My MB is an Intel 3.0G, 512M, ATI All In Wonder Video. Two 80G IDE hard drives, and one 80G SATA drive.

Is there a way to install, without using the partition step in the installation menu?

I have read other posts, and the comments are made that if I add "this" to Ubuntu, I will have Mint, but I want to do the install cleanly, as I am one who is searching for a distro I can keep and be productive with, and Mint is on my list at the moment <g>

Thanks much,

John
jbrush
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:03 pm

There are a lot of issues with Ubiquity and I know Ubuntu are working at replacing gparted with their own ubiquity module, hopefully this will fix that problem and you'll be able to enjoy Feisty or Cassandra in the future.

I'm not happy with the current installer myself but waiting to see what Feisty comes with. If the installer is still an issue in Feisty we might look at the possibility to develop our own for Cassandra.

if you add "this" to Ubuntu ?? :lol:

That doesn't make sense.. you can't upgrade Ubuntu to Mint, they're different distributions. At best you can mimic it and take what you like from it to put on top of Ubuntu (mint applications, mint settings, mint artwork, mint selection of packages..etc), since everything's compatible (apart from a few deviations and conflicts (gnome-panel, xchat-gnome, openoffice for instance..)) that's probably your best option.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby jbrush on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:30 pm

clem wrote:There are a lot of issues with Ubiquity and I know Ubuntu are working at replacing gparted with their own ubiquity module, hopefully this will fix that problem and you'll be able to enjoy Feisty or Cassandra in the future.

Okay. Thanks. I appreciate the help... Bummer tho...

clem wrote:if you add "this" to Ubuntu ?? :lol:

That doesn't make sense.. you can't upgrade Ubuntu to Mint, they're different distributions.

Just a quote from the other thread that I was poking fun at :-)

"ubuntu+automatix=almost mint"

Much obliged for the information. I wish there was a reason why it works for some, but not for others.... <shrug>

John
jbrush
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:44 am

Ubuntu + Automatix = Ubuntu

"Almost Mint" would be more in the lines of Ubuntu + Automatix + all the packages in the Bianca repository.

You can add that repo to Ubuntu, it should work fine. It contains OO 2.1, Envy, and all the mint apps. It also contains the mint artwork packages.

With that you could make Ubuntu almost look and act like Bianca.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Cannot install Mint. Qparted fails.....

Postby vitti on Thu May 15, 2008 5:59 am

:( I got the same jbrush's problem trying to install the newest Elyssa on my laptop TOSHIBA QOSMIO G20 with 2 60G disks,
that before was running KUBUNTU 8.04 KDE 4 on disk 1 and WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER on disk 2. :D
What can I do? :?:
I use DARYNA on my desktop DELL DIMENSION 9200 and I like it a lot. 8) But I wish carry LinuxMINT with me, but I am not able. :cry:
Previously I tried to install DARYNA on that laptop and it does not work the same!
Please help me!
Thank you
Vitti
vitti
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot