Extend ext3 parition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Extend ext3 parition

Postby rlccircuit20 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:37 pm

I have a dual boot vista and Linux Mint system. I want to add the free space from the vista to the linux partition. When I resize the vista partition, the unallocated free space is between the vista partition and the linux partition. So when you look at it in GParted it looks like this:

|---/dev/sda3(Vista)---||---unallocated---||---/dev/sda5(Linux)---|

It won't let me resize the linux partition to include the unallocated space. Is there a way to move the unallocated space to the right of the Linux partition or something like that? Any other suggestions are welcome.
rlccircuit20
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Extend ext3 parition

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:49 pm

You could move Linux [sda5] over to end at Vista [sda3], and then resize the partition afterward to fill up the empty space.
This will take a really long time depending on how big the existing partition is.
Back up all important data.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:56 pm

rlccircuit20,

Download and burn the latest stable version of Gparted live cd iso. The link is below. You can do what you are trying to do with the later version and you are less likely to have corruption problems.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=271779

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby rlccircuit20 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks for the input all. I tried again with the live cd and it worked perfectly.
rlccircuit20
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot