Installation & boot SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Installation & boot

Postby gold_finger on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:00 am

Oldmaxster wrote:I was able to delete the first item but the other 2 did not have a delete option and so remained.

Sorry, forgot that the live USB would use the swap partition on the hard drive if it found one. You couldn't delete it because it was in use. To solve that, click on the swap partition (sda5), go to top of GParted interface and under "Partition" choose "Swapoff". That will deactivate its use and enable you to then delete sda5 and sda2. (You will have to delete sda5 before you can delete sda2.)

Do that and if the failed install attempt managed to add anything to the drive, get rid of that too.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby austin.texas on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:52 am

The first step in deleting a partition with GParted is to Unmount the partitions, then you can delete them. As gold_finger said, in the case of the swap partition, do Swapoff. The swap partition has to be deleted first, then the extended partition, because in this case it appears that the swap partition is part of the extended partition.
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996
If you want to help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Oldmaxster on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Derek had suggested I check the hard drive using " sudo badblocks .....". The result of this was as follows:

"Last number 314584435
Pass Completed, 369 bad blocks found (369/0/0 errors)".

Is this fixable or is it time for a new drive?

Thanks as always
Oldmaxster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby austin.texas on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:14 am

It is fixable.
The first step is to have a complete backup of all your files to a different media.
The next step is to identify the problems.
Code: Select all
sudo fsck -N /dev/sda2

That runs fsck in a report mode which does not fix the problems, only reports them.
WARNING: Do not run fsck or e2fsck on a mounted partition. (boot a liveCD)
Read http://linux.die.net/man/8/e2fsck
Read http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/saucy/en/man8/e2fsck.8.html
and http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/saucy/en/man8/fsck.8.html

I fixed errors on a hard drive (formatted to ext4) with the following commands. Of course, you have to adjust the /dev/sdb2 to the partition that you want to check.
Note the -b 32768 is to use an alternate superblock record, if necessary, which can be determined by running mke2fs -n /dev/sdb2
To fix, run:
sudo e2fsck -y -b 32768 /dev/sdb1
finished quickly, fixing a few errors. (13GB partition)

sudo e2fsck -y -b 32768 /dev/sdb2
took hours and hours and hours to finish (145GB partition) reconfiguring thousands of inodes
finally...

Free inodes count wrong (15284323, counted=8344467).
Fix? yes
sdb2-160GB: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
sdb2-160GB: 593005/8937472 files (0.3% non-contiguous), 616975/35726336 blocks

finally, I got a clean report, like this:
dan@dan1 ~ $ sudo fsck -y /dev/sdb2
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
e2fsck 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
sdb2-160GB: clean, 593005/8937472 files, 616975/35726336 blocks
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996
If you want to help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Oldmaxster on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:47 pm

Derek had suggested I check the HD for bad sectors using "sudo badblocks....." with the following results:

Last number 31458435
Pass completed, 369 bad blocks found (369/0,0,0 errors)
Oldmaxster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Oldmaxster on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:52 am

Using gpart,(and Swapoff) I was able to delete all items leaving only 37GB of unallocated space. I then exited Gpart and clicked install LM15. After a short time, while in the "Who are you" segment of the install, I got the following:
"Input/Output error during read on /dev/sda "
After hitting cancel, I got
"The creation of swap space in partition #5 of SCI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed"
I have gone thru the above process twice with the same result both times.
Do I have a HD problem, if so is it fixable?

Thanks again
Oldmaxster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Let's start from the beginning again. Please answer following questions and post back the following things requested so we have a clear idea of what's going on before declaring the drive as bad (which is possible).

Oldmaxster wrote:I was running LinuxMint 15 when it became corrupted by poor positioning of my wireless keyboard.

Please describe in as much detail as possible what you mean by this? What were the problems/symptoms experienced? What made you conclude that "poor positioning of the wireless keyboard" somehow destroyed your Mint system?

What version of Mint 15 is your USB: Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, or KDE?
(Friendly forewarning: see note at very end of this post.)

Now going to ask for output from a few commands using the terminal. First one will give us the specs of hardware on your computer. The second and third will give output on what (if any) partitions are on the hard drive at this point.

Boot-up using your live USB. Use Firefox web browser and come back here to the forum. Log into forum and come to this post to follow the instructions and post back your reply to questions above and other info below.

Open a terminal: Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal. Do not type these commands -- instead highlight then copy/paste them using the right-click menu of your mouse. Copy them from here, paste them into the terminal and hit enter. (This insures that you don't make a typo.) Paste one into the terminal and hit enter. Then paste the other into the terminal and hit enter. Same thing again for last command. After that, scroll back to top of window, highlight the entire terminal output (from top to bottom), copy it, then paste it back here. To do that, click the "Code" button on the forum interface and paste your output between the two code blocks: "(code) paste your stuff here (/code)".

inxi -Fxz

sudo parted -l

sudo fdisk -l

Now open GParted (Menu -> Administration (or System) -> GParted) and let it load your hard drive on it's screen.

Hit the "PrtScn" key (located along top right of your keyboard) to take a screenshot of the GParted window. When the screenshot interface pops up, if you see a choice to capture the "Active Window" choose that option. That will take picture of just GParted, not the entire screen. If you can't get that to work, then just take pic of entire screen.

Save picture -- default location may be under /home/mint/Pictures; just pay attention to where it says it will be saved to.

To post the picture back here, use the "Upload attachment" tab located under the reply interface here on the forum. Navigate to the folder where picture is located, select it and hit "upload" (or something to that effect).

Note about Mint 15:
Support for Mint 15 ends this month, so it's not a good choice for permanent install. However, rather than wasting time and effort downloading and installing a new version to the USB, my plan is to attempt (one more time) to get what you have installed on the drive -- unless the specs from your computer are clearly insufficient to run whatever version you have on the USB. Will post back with detailed, step-by-step instructions for last attempt after seeing output requested and answers to all questions asked. Right now, I'm starting to think that the drive may actually be bad.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Oldmaxster on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:01 pm

I had the computer in a temporary location just to check it out. I started it and LM15 came up, allowing me to try out Firefoxk,etc, to confirm that everything was running OK. I believe I then moved the wireless keyboard and mouse 3 or 4 ft from the terminal to clear some space for the final positioning of the computer. It is my recollection that at that point, the screen froze. I could not get any cursor movement from the keyboard or mouse. To shut down, I had to press and hold the start button until the computer shut down. In my newbie parlance, I called this a cold shut down. Howver, I must emphasis that I am only guessing when I suggest that the keyboard/mouse location was the cause.

I don't know the Midnt 15 version but seem to recall it might be Cinnamon.
mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: mint Kernel: 3.8.0-19-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Machine: System: IBM product: 814131U version: ThinkCentre M51
Mobo: IBM model: IBM Bios: IBM version: 2BKT39AUS date: 12/22/2004
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 6383.3
Clock Speeds: 1: 3191.653 MHz 2: 3191.653 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.1.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 3000 3400 bus-ID: 00:1e.2
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.8.0-19-generic
Network: Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705_2 Gigabit Ethernet driver: tg3 ver: 3.128 bus-ID: 0a:0b.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 47.9GB (2.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST340014AS size: 40.0GB temp: 34C
2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 7.9GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID: / size: 497M used: 55M (11%) fs: overlayfs ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 134 Uptime: 26 min Memory: 217.0/993.7MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
mint@mint ~ $ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA ST340014AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 40.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 39.0GB 39.0GB primary ext4 boot
2 39.0GB 40.0GB 1062MB extended
5 39.0GB 40.0GB 1062MB logical linux-swap(v1)

Model: Lexar USB Flash Drive (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 7860MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 7860MB 7860MB primary fat32 boot

mint@mint ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40016019456 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders, total 78156288 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00040b2b

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 76079103 38038528 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 76081150 78155775 1037313 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 76081152 78155775 1037312 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 7860 MB, 7860125696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 955 cylinders, total 15351808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 63 15351776 7675857 b W95 FAT32
mint@mint ~ $

I will try to get you the Gpart segment separately.
Thank you
Oldmaxster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Oldmaxster on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:17 pm

I will now try to get you the Gpart info
I cannot get the upload to work, so i will type the info for you.

/dev/sda1 ext4 36.28GB
/dev/sda2 extended 1013.00MiB
/dev/sda5 linux - swap 1013.00 MiB

I willing be leaving town for a few days but will check the forum as access permits.

Thank you for your efforts.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Oldmaxster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 am

If you get this message before you leave town, maybe you could check something quickly and post back?

On your GParted screenshot, I noticed that there appears to be some kind of (error?) message box right next to /dev/sda1. (See revised screenshot below.)

Oldmaxsters_gparted.png

If you can, boot into your USB again and open GParted. Click on that orange box and see if it displays any info. (If regular left-click doesn't work, try right-clicking on it also.) I'm hoping it gives us some kind of clue as to what may have gone wrong.

It's starting look more and more like hard drive is bad; or those "bad blocks" you found a few posts back may be preventing the installation. Poster austin.texas seemed to be fairly confident that they could repaired, but I'm not familiar with that process. If I have time, I'll try to read up on that myself and maybe we'll try to repair the drive. If not, I've got one final idea to try which I'll write up in a separate post tomorrow.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Oldmaxster on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:03 pm

I will try to attach the results of the orange box from Gpart.
Attachments
Screenshot of orange box.png
Oldmaxster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:33 am

@Oldmaxster,

Thanks for the info and pics you posted from GParted in your last few posts. (Error message from last pic didn't shed light on anything -- at least not for me.)

Before we get started, if you have an extra USB (not the one with Mint 15 on it) and you feel confident that making another live USB with the newer Mint 16 on it would be relatively easy for you to do, then I'd recommend doing that so you don't have to worry about lack of support after the end of this month on Mint 15. If you choose to do that, I think you would be best off with the Xfce version on your machine -- Cinnamon may be a bit too much for it to handle comfortably. Here is the link for downloading Xfce 16: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=155. (Want you to keep your Mint 15 USB just in case you have a problem getting Mint 16 onto USB. So, if you don't have an extra USB, forget about 16 and continue using the Mint 15 you have now for this install attempt.)

I haven't had time to read up on fixing bad blocks, so going to make an install attempt by creating the partitions manually ahead of time to see if GParted can do it without getting any error messages.

Cross your fingers -- here we go!

Bootup with your live Mint USB. Open GParted and give it a few seconds to load your hard drive info.

*** Right-click on /dev/sda5 and choose "Swapoff" (if that option is greyed-out, skip to next step.
*** Right-click on /dev/sda5 again and choose "Delete"
*** Right-click on /dev/sda2 and choose "Delete"
*** Right-click on /dev/sda1 and choose "Delete"
*** The arrow key under the word "Help" at top of GParted window is the "Apply" button. Hit that to execute the deletion of partitions.
*** You should now see nothing but empty, unallocated space.
*** Click "Device", then choose "Create Partition Table"; leave default of "msdos" and hit "Apply".

Now we're going to try creating partitions ahead of time and see if they can be created without having that orange error box show up.

This will be your "/" root partition.
*** Click on the unallocated space, then click the "+" button (under the word "GParted" along top) to create a new partition.
*** Leave "Free space preceeding" at whatever is already filled in (either 0, or 1)
*** Make "New Size" = 35840 (Leave "Free space following" alone and leave "Align to" at "MiB".)
*** Leave "Create as" = "Primary Partition"
*** Make "File system" = "Ext4"
*** Make "Label" = MintSystem
*** Click "Add"

Now we'll make your "Swap" partition.
*** Click on the remaining unallocated space, then click "+" button for new partition.
*** Leave "Free space preceeding" at whatever is already filled in.
*** Leave "New Size" at whatever is already filled in.
*** Make "Create as" = "Extended Partition"
*** "File system" will be greyed out -- nothing to do here.
*** Don't bother with "Label"
*** Click "Add"

*** Click on unallocated space again, then click "+" button for new partition.
*** Leave "Free space preceeding" at whatever is already filled in.
*** Leave "New Size" at whatever is already filled in.
*** Make "Create as" = "Logical Partition"
*** Make "File system" = "linux-swap".
*** Don't bother with "Label"
*** Click "Add"

*** Now hit the "Apply" arrow button under "Help" along top of window to execute the creation of your new partitions.

You're done!

Take a look at the GParted screen to see if there are any orange error boxes next to the partitions like you had before. If there are, don't bother with install -- just post back with a screenshot of that window. We'll try my final idea after I see that screenshot.

If all looks good (no error messages), then let's go ahead with install attempt. Close out GParted before installing.

(NOTE: If you can, print out these instructions and close Firefox before installing. I've never tried installing while running a web browser, so I'm not sure if you can do that. If you can't print the instructions, then keep your browser open and try installing while it's still on this page. Can't hurt to try. You'll just need to toggle back and forth between install screen and browser for instructions.)

Now double-click on the "Install" icon on your Desktop.

When you get to when it ask where/how you want to install, pick "Something else" instead of having it do the install automatically. It will move on to a partitioning page that displays the current partitions (that you just made) on the drive. The only one you need to do anything with is the big one you made for the root partition (35GB).

*** Click on the /dev/sda1 partition to highlight it.
*** Click the "Change" button
*** Leave the size alone -- do not change it.
*** Click the appropriate drop down menu boxes and make them read: "Ext4 file system" and one will allow you to set the mount point to "/".
*** No need to check the box to format the partition -- you already did that in GParted.

IMPORTANT: Along the bottom of the window, "Device for bootloader installation" should be set to /dev/sda -- not sda1, just sda.

Double-check that your entries are correct. Then continue with finishing the install.

When it finishes, tell it you want to "Continue testing" the live cd -- don't tell it to reboot.

When the installation screen disappears, count to 30; then do a normal shutdown.

After shutdown, pull out USB stick, cross your fingers and boot computer up again.

I sure hope it works for you this time!

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Oldmaxster on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:14 pm

In that there was still a chance that my HD was faulty and I already had a working LM15 USB, I chose to not create a Xfce 16 version.
I booted up LM15, opened Gpart and deleted partitions until I had only the single unallocated partition and then hit Apply All.
I then tried to hit Device to follow your next steps but the screen was greyed out and the 3 former partitions had returned. After further attempts I got a message "Lib parted Bug found". I then quit.
At this point, I do not wish to devote more time to this project unless you have a relatively simple suggestion. However, I have enjoyed the exercise, have learned a lot and am deeply indebted to the expert direction of Gold Finger and colleagues.
Thank you all
Oldmaxster
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Installation & Boot