Elyssa Live Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Elyssa Live Boot

Postby beaudog on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi,
I have been playing around with Linux for a short time now, and decided that I wanted a nice "Linux dual boot Computer" so I bought a Shuttle SG33G5 Intel G33 Socket 775 Barebone.
Specifications:
Form Factor: Small Form Factor
Processor Interface: Socket 775
Processors Supported: Intel Core 2 Duo Intel Core 2 Extreme Intel Core 2 Quad
Additional Technologies: Hyper-Threading Technology, eSATA
Front Side Bus: 800MHz FSB 1066MHz FSB 1333MHz FSB
Northbridge: Intel G33 Southbridge: Intel ICH9DH
Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC888DD
Video Chipset: Integrated Graphics Chipset
Video Memory: 384MB Share Memory
Supported Devices: 2
Hard Drive Types: ATA/100
LAN Type: 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit
FireWire Ports: 1 - 1394a
IDE Headers: 1
FDD Headers: 1
Serial ATA Headers: 3, 2 - eSATA
PCI Slots: 1 - PCI 1 - PCIe (x16)
I have one SATA 250GB hard drive that has a Windows XP partition. I have been distro hopping for a while now and I keep coming back to Mint, but unfortunately it will not boot on this machine. In fact I have tried nearly everything and most distros will not boot live or load to this computer. A short list: Ubuntu 7.10, Mint 3.1, 4.0, 5, fedora 8 & 9, knoppix 5.2, etc .

I can get Mepis 7.0, and Open SUSE 11.0 to load and run just fine but I prefer Mint if I could only find my problem.

When I boot Mint, it ends in BusyBox V1.1.3 (Intramfs) even in compatability mode. I am really new to linux, but from all the error messages from all the distros I believe that it has something to do with not finding the SATA drive. The error Mint 5 reads immediately after Intramfs is ata1.00 : Failed to read native max address (err_mask = 0x4). Most of the other distros have similar messages, but Mepis and Suse don't bat an eye and load just fine.

I have read and tried the edits that Husse added on the Wiki page, and I don't know if I am doing it correctly but that didn't seem to work.

I am at the end of my expertise, so if someone could give me a push in the right direction I would be forever thankful to have Mint running again.

I am a complete n00b to linux, so you might have to speak really slow for me to understand.

Thanks,

beaudog
beaudog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Elyssa Live Boot

Postby beaudog on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 am

One thing that just dawned on me, the DVD drive is SATA. I am now wondering if during boot it can't mount the CD to continue loading.

Just a thought in the middle of the night.

Thanks,

beaudog
beaudog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Elyssa Live Boot

Postby beaudog on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:24 pm

Here is an update, I have downloaded and sucessfully run Mandriva 2008.

What is the difference on how Mandriva and Mint handle SATA drives?
beaudog
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot