Elyssa Live Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Elyssa Live Boot

Postby beaudog on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi,
I have been playing around with Linux for a short time now, and decided that I wanted a nice "Linux dual boot Computer" so I bought a Shuttle SG33G5 Intel G33 Socket 775 Barebone.
Specifications:
Form Factor: Small Form Factor
Processor Interface: Socket 775
Processors Supported: Intel Core 2 Duo Intel Core 2 Extreme Intel Core 2 Quad
Additional Technologies: Hyper-Threading Technology, eSATA
Front Side Bus: 800MHz FSB 1066MHz FSB 1333MHz FSB
Northbridge: Intel G33 Southbridge: Intel ICH9DH
Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC888DD
Video Chipset: Integrated Graphics Chipset
Video Memory: 384MB Share Memory
Supported Devices: 2
Hard Drive Types: ATA/100
LAN Type: 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit
FireWire Ports: 1 - 1394a
IDE Headers: 1
FDD Headers: 1
Serial ATA Headers: 3, 2 - eSATA
PCI Slots: 1 - PCI 1 - PCIe (x16)
I have one SATA 250GB hard drive that has a Windows XP partition. I have been distro hopping for a while now and I keep coming back to Mint, but unfortunately it will not boot on this machine. In fact I have tried nearly everything and most distros will not boot live or load to this computer. A short list: Ubuntu 7.10, Mint 3.1, 4.0, 5, fedora 8 & 9, knoppix 5.2, etc .

I can get Mepis 7.0, and Open SUSE 11.0 to load and run just fine but I prefer Mint if I could only find my problem.

When I boot Mint, it ends in BusyBox V1.1.3 (Intramfs) even in compatability mode. I am really new to linux, but from all the error messages from all the distros I believe that it has something to do with not finding the SATA drive. The error Mint 5 reads immediately after Intramfs is ata1.00 : Failed to read native max address (err_mask = 0x4). Most of the other distros have similar messages, but Mepis and Suse don't bat an eye and load just fine.

I have read and tried the edits that Husse added on the Wiki page, and I don't know if I am doing it correctly but that didn't seem to work.

I am at the end of my expertise, so if someone could give me a push in the right direction I would be forever thankful to have Mint running again.

I am a complete n00b to linux, so you might have to speak really slow for me to understand.

Thanks,

beaudog
beaudog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Elyssa Live Boot

Postby beaudog on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 am

One thing that just dawned on me, the DVD drive is SATA. I am now wondering if during boot it can't mount the CD to continue loading.

Just a thought in the middle of the night.

Thanks,

beaudog
beaudog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Elyssa Live Boot

Postby beaudog on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:24 pm

Here is an update, I have downloaded and sucessfully run Mandriva 2008.

What is the difference on how Mandriva and Mint handle SATA drives?
beaudog
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot