Elyssa Laptop Installation Freeze on Hardware Configuration

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Elyssa Laptop Installation Freeze on Hardware Configuration

Postby wibowosulistio on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi folks,

Bowo here, a newcomer and new user of Linux Mint. Just downloaded Elyssa yesterday and attempt an installation with unetbootin ([url]unetbootin.sourceforge.net[/url]) using Elyssa ISO file in Windows XP. So, it's an installation from the hard disk drive without using a CD rom.

Upon restart of XP, unetbootin successfully load Elyssa from the ISO file, and I proceeded with the installation up to 94%, the part where it says "configuring hardware..." and the process stopped there, i.e. not progressing. So, it's not actually a "freeze", but the process just didn't proceed.

Here's the details:
Laptop is Toshiba Dynabook SS 2000 DS80P/2. Pentium III-m, 256MB, 20GB with C drive being XP, D drive being data, the third partition being a linux ext3 (3GB), and a fourth extended partition containing a 480 MB linux swap and a 100MB Acronis recovery partition.

Complete laptop spec here (google-translated from japanese): http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dynabook.com%2Fpc%2Fcatalog%2Fss%2F02061820%2Fspec.htm&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=ja&tl=en

I've had similar problem when installing Puppy linux 4 a while ago, but Ubuntu feisty fawn was installed OK.

Anyone can help? Million thanks in advance!

Bowo
Jakarta, Indonesia
wibowosulistio
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Elyssa Laptop Installation Freeze on Hardware Configuration

Postby wibowosulistio on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:56 am

Hi again,

Turned out, after trying to install again and be more patient, the 94% indicator turns 100% after an extra hour. So, it's installed now, but screen resolution is 800x600 not 1024x768. Still finding a way to fix this. If I can't find a fix, will create a new thread. In the mean time, if anyone knows how to fix it, would very much appreciate your help. Million thanks!

Bowo
Jakarta, Indonesia
wibowosulistio
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Elyssa Laptop Installation Freeze on Hardware Configuration

Postby saltyp on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:11 am

Moved my post from bugs to here where it belongs.
Install problem.

My bug is hardware specific.
ASUS L5800C laptop. Currently dual boots XP Pro and Mint 4. Great piece of kit for onsite work, if a little old.
Been trying to upgrade to Mint 5. Live CD hangs installing hardware. In compat mode the last entry is
92.232003 b43legacy-phy0: Braodcom 4301 WLAN found

and thats the end of the show. Have downloaded the ISO twice from different mirrors and have booted from one of them on my home pc to post this. Is it worth trying the Light version? has the 92.232003 installed successfully and the problem is the next/pending resource?

during 4.0 install, the WLAN was recognized after install and the relevant NON OSS drivers were prompted and installed without drama. The Mint WLAN/Network manger is much more user friendly than the inbuilt ASUS and XP WLAN Connection managers. In fact its better than the OpenSuSE equivelent (my preferred distro) Would love to get this sorted. But I have Mint 4 setup nicely and love it. So no bleeding heart, poor me, pressure on this one. Just a heads up.

I to will try the patience thing and post back with results...
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot