Hangs on 'Starting Bluetooth...'

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Hangs on 'Starting Bluetooth...'

Postby Bookworm on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I cannot start my computer into Linux Mint at all, now. After having this obnoxious Bluetooth problem (connecting & pairing a Bluetooth device caused the computer to crash several minutes later, each & every time without fail), I have finally switched to a wireless keyboard - as nobody saw fit to actually try and help me (or nobody was able to, I guess). I thought my problems were over, but I was wrong - today, when I went to boot Linux Mint, it started up fine, hanged for a while, kept going, then got to a black command prompt/terminal-esque screen where it said "Starting Bluetooth..." (with "starting [stuff][hardware]... [OK] above it as well), and proceed to stay there for about 15-20 minutes. It now does this every time I boot. Help is desparately needed, PLEASE. I need to know how I can disable my bluetooth adapter so Linux doesn't have to wrestle with it.

Thanks in advance,

Bookworm
Bookworm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hangs on 'Starting Bluetooth...'

Postby lakehousetech on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:26 pm

You can disable bluetooth by going to -system-administration-services (under the menu) and unlock it if necessary by entering in your password. Uncheck the bluetooth service and reboot. See if that works.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Bookworm on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:55 pm

What menu? I am unable to boot, so is this from the GRUB startup menu... area... thingy (excuse my noobishness XD :o :shock: )
Bookworm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Oh sorry I thought you could boot into Mint. Hmmm....how far into the boot does it get? Try choosing the recovery option in the grub menu. When it loads it gives you some options....one of which I believe is repair, but I haven't done it in awhile so I'm not sure. Try it anyway, and post back. I'll restart and login to recovery as well so I can recall what to do.

Update: When you boot into recovery there is an option to repair the x server. You should attempt this first. If it doesn't work you may have to login to the root account (as long as you created a root password during installation or via mint assistant) and default the xorg.conf file manually. Worst case you may need to re-install.

Also, if you do re-install you can pull off your old documents...etc. while using the live cd. Just put them on a usb thumb drive if you have one, then perform a new installation. Just a thought.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Bookworm on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:56 pm

Hey,

Thanks for your help so far. It gets about to the 'loading mint' screen, the progress bar goes alllllmooosst all the way up (in fact, it's almost impereptibly not finished), then it cuts to a black command-prompt/terminal screen where lines of "Setting up [hardware]" or "Starting [system" scroll down to the bottom, where it says "starting bluetooth..." and then hangs forever and ever. I tried recovery, but nither of my keyboards worked at the recovery console, oddly enough.

Also, I have no files currently on the Linux partition except my software - I save everything to an external harddrive or another partition. Thanks, though :)

Bookworm

Edit: Just so you know, aside from this the only other problem I'm having is that my Linux Mint boot is also hanging on another part, about a fourth of the way through the boot progress bar - it takes about 2-3 minutes to get past it, but it always does. I checked by booting into recovery, and it was trying to use "USB Device 5-3.8" or "5-1.1" or just "5-1" over and over and over again...
Bookworm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Do you remember what you may have done or installed before everything went haywire?
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Bookworm on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Nyet - all I did was switch over to my non-wireless, standard 'ol usb Mac keyboard... :(

This problem's been around for a while, I posted about how my Bluetooth was causing an crash back in the Noobie forum, but I'm afraid it never got answered...
Bookworm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Bummer. I haven't attempted to used BT on Linux ever, so I am no help either. I hope you figure it out. Good luck.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Bookworm on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:32 pm

I actually just got in to Linux, so I am going to try your advice right now! Good luck to me...
Bookworm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Trust me when I say that over the past four years I've screwed up my fair share of Linux boxes. Sometimes that's how you learn. Welcome to the Mint community.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Bookworm on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Lol, thanks. Unfortuneately, this Linux "box" is my beautiful, beloved Macbook - so it's a little more important to me. XD...
Bookworm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot