Mint gives user heartattack...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint gives user heartattack...

Postby tgoeke on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:10 am

Today I rebooted my Mint this morning and it did not come up. Images of terrible disaster and a late night filled my brain, along with a certain sense of doom.

Here's what happened:

I am pretty new to Mint but not new to Linux or Ubuntu. I found the latest Mint to be really nice so far.

I am a developer. This morning was a good time to reboot my machine, so I did! Imagine my shock when the machine fell into the BusyBox prompt and I was stuck. Unable to read hard drive! Sick feeling in my gut. I booted the Live CD and everything worked. But what's wrong with my Mint?

I reboot in recovery mode and this time I get a little menu offering to repair some things. I say go ahead and fix my packages. I get 189 MB of new stuff. Wow! That's really scary. I reboot and now I have another kernel so I let that one boot up. Again, hello failure.

But this time there were several messages about USB. This was enough to find the issue, for the previous day I was using my USB stick with all my pragmatic books as PDF on it. That hummer was still plugged in. I quickly removed it, and all is now well.

The question is: why won't Mint boot with my USB stick plugged in? This is a serious flaw, and it's not a BIOS setting. The second question is: why did Mint find 189 MB of updates when the GUI update tool is telling me there are no updates? Any conceivable reason seems like a bug to me.
tgoeke

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint gives user heartattack...

Postby flowheat on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:44 am

tgoeke wrote: The second question is: why did Mint find 189 MB of updates when the GUI update tool is telling me there are no updates? Any conceivable reason seems like a bug to me.

The MintUpdate tool assigns safety levels to updates. If you haven't changed the preferences only updates with a safety level of three or lower is shown and updated. Considering you got a whole new kernel which I can almost guarantee is level 5 my guess would be that when in the recovery mode you are simply using apt and getting all available updates.
flowheat
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint gives user heartattack...

Postby grimdestripador on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:58 pm

I often get dropped into busy box as well, I have removable hardrives, unless you pick the right one, the disk ordering seems to happen at boot (see BIOS POST). I often have to edit my grub entry from
Code: Select all
root(0,0)

Code: Select all
root(1,0)

while i keep the kernel at what ever it was. (ie /dev/sda1)

Simple solution (with my mobo) is to install the boot loader on SATA not IDE. since IDE has a tendency to get reordered. But if I reboot with a USB drive or random stuff, i'm often dropeed to busy box. Because of this retardedness I end up installing many times, as I reorder my hot-swappable drives.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot