Mint gives user heartattack...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tgoeke

Mint gives user heartattack...

Post by tgoeke »

Today I rebooted my Mint this morning and it did not come up. Images of terrible disaster and a late night filled my brain, along with a certain sense of doom.

Here's what happened:

I am pretty new to Mint but not new to Linux or Ubuntu. I found the latest Mint to be really nice so far.

I am a developer. This morning was a good time to reboot my machine, so I did! Imagine my shock when the machine fell into the BusyBox prompt and I was stuck. Unable to read hard drive! Sick feeling in my gut. I booted the Live CD and everything worked. But what's wrong with my Mint?

I reboot in recovery mode and this time I get a little menu offering to repair some things. I say go ahead and fix my packages. I get 189 MB of new stuff. Wow! That's really scary. I reboot and now I have another kernel so I let that one boot up. Again, hello failure.

But this time there were several messages about USB. This was enough to find the issue, for the previous day I was using my USB stick with all my pragmatic books as PDF on it. That hummer was still plugged in. I quickly removed it, and all is now well.

The question is: why won't Mint boot with my USB stick plugged in? This is a serious flaw, and it's not a BIOS setting. The second question is: why did Mint find 189 MB of updates when the GUI update tool is telling me there are no updates? Any conceivable reason seems like a bug to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint gives user heartattack...

Post by grimdestripador »

I often get dropped into busy box as well, I have removable hardrives, unless you pick the right one, the disk ordering seems to happen at boot (see BIOS POST). I often have to edit my grub entry from

Code: Select all

root(0,0)

Code: Select all

root(1,0)
while i keep the kernel at what ever it was. (ie /dev/sda1)

Simple solution (with my mobo) is to install the boot loader on SATA not IDE. since IDE has a tendency to get reordered. But if I reboot with a USB drive or random stuff, i'm often dropeed to busy box. Because of this retardedness I end up installing many times, as I reorder my hot-swappable drives.

Return to “Installation & Boot”