Petra 16 64bit installer crash [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Petra 16 64bit installer crash [SOLVED]

Postby rtX on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm trying to install LM16 Cinnamon (from a USB stick). The live version loads okay, but I get a neat 'installer has crashed' message some way into the install. The message says that the developers have been advised of the issue. I can return to the live system. I've tried different USB sticks and it always crashes in the same place. If I try to install Ubuntu 13.10 the install goes fine (just an fyi). I'm doing an install on a new 500Gb HDD on a Zoostorm laptop (with no other OS installed). I notice that the Ubuntu installer downloads updates as it installs, whereas the LM16 does not seem to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get LM installed?
Last edited by rtX on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtX
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Petra 16 64bit installer crash

Postby karlchen on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Hello, rtX.

Have you verified the MD5 checksum of the Mint 16 ISO file matches the checksum printed of the corresponding download page? => downloads
Also, how far exactly does the installer get before it crashes? "Some way" is a bit too vague.

Kind regards,
Karl
Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya, impressed by Petra.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby rtX on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:32 pm

The MD5 check is correct on the iso I put on all three USB sticks. The installer crashes after formatting and copying files to the hdd well into the 'installing' part of the process. Is there anyway I can get you more information on this? As I mentioned, it seemed to exit elegantly and told me that the developers had been informed.

Is there another way of installing, maybe?
rtX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Hello, rtX.

MD5 checkum verified: Great that you verified it. Sometimes a bad download file causes all kinds of weird errors.
Message to the devs: Even if the message gets really sent, I doubt that this will bring a quick solution. Maybe a fix for a frequently reported problem in the installer of Mint 17. Won't help you right now.
Which programme did you use to create the bootable USB pendrive(s)? - There have been recent reports which might suggest that not all well-known programmes create usable live media.
Any chance of catching the message to the devs before or after it gets sent out? - Maybe it holds something which will put us on the right track even though we are no Mint developers?
Honestly, this is all I can think of at the moment.
Maybe someone else has experienced the same problem and found a workaround/solution?

Hm, could your problem be similar to the one reported in this blog post perhaps?
Even if the answer is "no", then Clem's request would be valid, please, supply the /var/log/syslog and /var/log/installer/debug (on the live system I guess, might, however be the ones on the target machine, too.)

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby rtX on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:00 am

Sorry for the delay in replying - holidays etc... Answers to your questions:

I don't think anything gets sent to the devs when the installer crashes - I was not given any option to send anything (despite being told I would be given such an option). I just noticed that when I tried installing on a different machine (see below).

I used YUMI-1.9.9.5B from pendrivelinux.com to create the bootable live disk - it boots fine and works well as a live version - it is just the installer keeps crashing... I'm going to try version 1.9.9.9 to see if it works better using the later version - I'll report back on that.

I've encountered a very similar/same crash when installing on a completely different machine (a desktop), and so I am wondering if there is an issue either with my localisation settings (English UK), or YUMI. I don't think it's an issue with the USB stick - I've tried using different sticks with the same upshot. As said, the MD5 matches so it cannot be that either. As an aside I have successfully installed Ubuntu 13.10 and PearOS 8 using the same combination of memory stick and YUMI.

Thanks again.
rtX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobafetthotmail on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:49 am

Try to install without internet access.

I'm getting weird installer crashes too, and when I do it offline it usually runs until the end (sometimes it crashes at the end but the stuff is installed and runs fine on reboot).
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rtX on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:19 pm

I have copies of the var/log/installer/debug , and version logs. Plus the var/log/syslog log. Would anyone know where to send them?

I tried without internet access, too. I still had the same issues. I also tried using YUMI 1.9.9.9 with no effect. The logs are interesting. The installer debug log is as follows:
Code: Select all
Ubiquity 2.15.26-1linuxmint9

(ubiquity:3274): Pango-WARNING **: error opening config file '/root/.config/pango/pangorc': Permission denied

update_release_notes_label()

(ubiquity:3274): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_allocation: assertion 'gtk_widget_get_visible (widget) || gtk_widget_is_toplevel (widget)' failed

(ubiquity:3274): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_allocation: assertion 'gtk_widget_get_visible (widget) || gtk_widget_is_toplevel (widget)' failed

No such schema 'com.canonical.indicator.session'

(ubiquity:3274): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/root/.cache/dconf': Not a directory.  dconf will not work properly.

(ubiquity:3274): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/root/.cache/dconf': Not a directory.  dconf will not work properly.

Ubiquity 2.15.26-1linuxmint9

(ubiquity:26573): Pango-WARNING **: error opening config file '/root/.config/pango/pangorc': Permission denied

(ubiquity:26573): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_allocation: assertion 'gtk_widget_get_visible (widget) || gtk_widget_is_toplevel (widget)' failed

(ubiquity:26573): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_allocation: assertion 'gtk_widget_get_visible (widget) || gtk_widget_is_toplevel (widget)' failed

(ubiquity:26573): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/root/.cache/dconf': Not a directory.  dconf will not work properly.

(ubiquity:26573): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/root/.cache/dconf': Not a directory.  dconf will not work properly.

Is any of this significant?

Many thanks.
rtX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rtX on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:02 pm

The Syslog is nearly 3,000 lines. I'm assuming it is bad form to post that?
Thanks.
rtX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Hello, rtX.

You might use http://pastebin.com to upload the syslog file and post the link here. You can even define a expiration date for the uploaded file so that pastebin will remove it when that date has bee reached.

Cheers,
Karl
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby rtX on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:03 am

I've uploaded the syslog and it can be accessed here: http://pastebin.com/gNXHgrgt

Any advice gratefully welcomed.
rtX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby montyny on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:10 pm

I am basically in the same position. I have tried to install using different partitions. It seems to consistently fail in the same place. I have confirmed that the md5 is correct on the iso I downloaded.
It seems that it gets most of the way through - it's copied 3.8GB to the target drive - it might even be bootable if it got as far as installing a boot manager!

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xf30d7b86

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63  1886416559   943208248+   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda4      1886416621  1953523711    33553545+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5      1886416623  1907397449    10490413+  83  Linux
/dev/sda6      1907397513  1928362274    10482381   83  Linux
/dev/sda7      1928364032  1953523711    12579840   83  Linux

mint@mint ~ $ ls /target
bin    dev   initrd.img      lib64       mnt   root  srv  usr
boot   etc   initrd.img.old  lost+found  opt   run   sys  var
cdrom  home  lib             media       proc  sbin  tmp  vmlinuz
mint@mint ~ $ mount /target
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda7 is already mounted on /target
mount failed

(From syslog)
Jan  1 17:32:04 mint in-target: Fetched 1,258 kB in 7s (165 kB/s)
Jan  1 17:32:04 mint in-target: Reading package lists...
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint in-target:
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint ubiquity: cat: /cdrom/.disk/cd_type
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint ubiquity: : No such file or directory
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint apt-setup: warning: /usr/lib/ubiquity/apt-setup/generators/40cdrom returned error code 1; discarding output
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint ubiquity: mv: cannot stat ‘/target/etc/apt/sources.list.new’
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint ubiquity: : No such file or directory
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py: log-output -t ubiquity umount /target/cdrom
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint finish-install: Disabling CD in sources.list
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint ubiquity: sed: can't read /target/etc/apt/sources.list: No such file or directory
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py: Exception during installation:
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py: Traceback (most recent call last):
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 1781, in <module>
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py:     install.run()
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 78, in wrapper
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py:     func(self)
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 241, in run
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py:     self.configure_apt()
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 665, in configure_apt
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py:     "AptSetup failed with code %d" % ret)
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py: ubiquity.install_misc.InstallStepError: AptSetup failed with code 1
Jan  1 17:32:09 mint /plugininstall.py:
Jan  1 17:32:30 mint ubiquity[24084]: log-output -t ubiquity apport-bug ubiquity

mint@mint ~ $ cd /target/etc
mint@mint /target/etc $ cd apt
mint@mint /target/etc/apt $ ls
apt.conf.d    preferences.d   trustdb.gpg  trusted.gpg~
apt.conf.new  sources.list.d  trusted.gpg  trusted.gpg.d
mint@mint /target/etc/apt $ ls sources.list.d/
getdeb.list  official-package-repositories.list

mint@mint /media/mint/COMPAQ/Users/root/Downloads $ df -hv /dev/sda7
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda7        12G  3.8G  7.3G  35% /target

montyny
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Happy New Year, rtX.

I admit that when I go through your syslog created during the (failed) installation I seem to miss the point where the installation fails. This does not mean somebody else won't spot it. It only means I have not succeeded in doing so.
To be precise I do find the 2 locations where it reads
ubiquity.install_misc.InstallStepError: AptSetup failed with code 1
just like in montyny's report. Yet, I fail to understand the reason why. :oops:

I wonder whether you would be prepared to make the experiment of installing Mint 16 32-bit just to find out whether the installation succeeds.
I have installed Mint 16 32-bit Cinnamon on my Zotac "mini pizza box", and the installation has succeeded without any problems.
Therefore I think that if you succeed in installing the same Mint 16 32-bit on your machine, but reproducibly fail to install Mint 16 64-bit, this strongly suggests that there must be a flaw in the 64-bit installer.

I might make the counter experiment, i.e. trying to install Mint 16 64-bit on one of my machines, which "happens" to have a free spare partition. Yet, I will very likely not have the time to do so before the weekend.

Cheers,
Karl
--
P.S.: (just for informational purposes: my Zotac "mini pizza box")
$ inxi -Fx
System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 3.11.0-14-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine:   Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: American Megatrends version: 080015 date: 10/09/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Atom CPU 330 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 6399.96
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1599.991 MHz 2: 1599.991 MHz 3: 1599.991 MHz 4: 1599.991 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA ION VGA bus-ID: 03:00.0
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: ION/integrated/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: NVIDIA MCP79 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:08.0 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.11.0-14-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: (removed)
           Card-2: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: d080 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: (removed)
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 167.8GB (5.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HM160HI size: 160.0GB
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: Premium size: 7.8GB
Partition: ID: / size: 48G used: 5.5G (13%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 5.42GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 81.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:58C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 171 Uptime: 17 min Memory: 421.6/1760.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby montyny on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks Karl. I did just download the 32 bit Cinnamon version and install that to USB using YUMI. I booted in to the live version Ok. Running the install though it seems to have died just the same way as the 64 bit version.
montyny
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bcd on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm having similar problems. I'm trying to install Mint 16 64-bit over top of a failed OpenSUSE 13.1 install (problems with hanging when setting up wireless networking), so I'm doing manual partitioning. I first tried the KDE version, which booted fine and worked with both wired and wireless networking (kudos on that), but the installer crashed when setting up encrypted containers. I believe it sometimes complained about not being able to store the key, and other times crashed silently.

I tried installing the Cinnamon version instead (confirmed MD5 checksum). Again, it booted fine and networking worked. The installer, which seems to actually be different from the KDE version (e.g. gives a partitioning option to use free space without nuking existing OS, which the KDE version lacked - seems weird to me that there would be any difference in something like that), allowed me to create my two encrypted containers with EXT4 partitions inside, but then crashed a little later (I think I clicked on a non-encrypted partition intending to change the settings to format it). It said it was reporting the problem to developers. I tried re-running the installer. Both encrypted containers were there, but one lacked the EXT4 partition inside. I set up the mount points etc. again and clicked continue. I then got a weird error dialog that could not be dismissed by clicking "OK" or the close button. Here are the logs and a screenshot:
/var/log/installer/debug
/var/log/syslog
screenshot of weird error dialog
bcd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:29 am

Hello, rtX, hello, montyny.

I'll risk posting a wild guess - hm, not too wild - but judge yourself:
Could it be that you are hit by a really ancient bug in the Ubuntu / Linux Mint installer and thas this piece of advice would workaround the issue? => Cory Dolphin <=
You must 'try ubuntu' and then as root, remove it: sudo rm /usr/lib/ubiquity/apt-setup/generators/40cdrom
Then (without shutting down) run the installer.

Cheers,
Karl
--
Cf. 13.10 ubuntu gnome install failed
References: Install from USB fails: "An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed"
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby JimboSTL on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:30 pm

rtX wrote:I'm trying to install LM16 Cinnamon (from a USB stick). The live version loads okay, but I get a neat 'installer has crashed' message some way into the install. The message says that the developers have been advised of the issue. I can return to the live system. I've tried different USB sticks and it always crashes in the same place. If I try to install Ubuntu 13.10 the install goes fine (just an fyi). I'm doing an install on a new 500Gb HDD on a Zoostorm laptop (with no other OS installed). I notice that the Ubuntu installer downloads updates as it installs, whereas the LM16 does not seem to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get LM installed?

I am an Linux noob so take this for what it is worth. Been checking the distro's out just this week in fact. I am a Windows admin of 20 years and was insterested in giving Linux a go and trying to ditch my Windows 8 PC.

I just got through having the same issue on my 64bit system. I successfully installed Ubuntu, Zorin OS and Puppy using my SARDU builder and had no issues this week. I tried LinuxMint 4 times and using 4 different USB thumbdrives with all failing at the end and getting the error about sumbitting a bug report. Ended up checking some other posts and saw a recommendation to use Universal USB Installer instead to build my USB thumbdrive and it worked just fine. I had also chased down trying different drives, validating MD5 hash, wiping hard drive etc... before. Hope this helps. I am happy to say I am sending this from my new LinuxMint build right now.

Regards,

Jimbo
JimboSTL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rtX on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes, I saw the same post. I have just successfully installed LM16 using Imagewriter and an ISO of LM16 to create a USB boot stick from an LM13 installation I had installed elsewhere with no issues. Imagewriter may be able to be accessed from the live boot of a USB stick, too (?). As JimboSTL says I understand that Universal USB Installer will work (and can be used to create a boot stick from Windows). Go to http://www.pendrivelinux.com. YUMI, to be clear, does seem to cause an installer issue, although it is good for running the Live version of the OS - just don't use it to install.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed thoughts on this matter.
rtX
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Petra 16 64bit installer crash [SOLVED]

Postby Vrai on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Found this post as I was having the same problem. A poster mentioned disconnecting the net access during installation so I gave it a try. Worked like a charm! I was getting the same crash report as others have mentioned. Trying to install Linux Mint 16 64bit. Several attempts and reboots later yielded negative results. Unplugging the ethernet cable and trying one more time was the solution.

For some reason the install was very fast. Much faster than I would have expected. But so far it works!

Installing from a DVD img.
Miseris Succurrere Disco
Linux User # 440357 - Ubuntu User # 11205
Vrai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Techunter on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:27 am

hi all im a newbie to the site and to linux itself, i tried like others to install the 64bit and tried yumi and universal and tried with and without internet connection but had no luck. I finally got this to install using Unetbootin and installed without internet connection. did not test with internet connection since it installed fine without it and plugged ethernet cable back in once restarted and works fine.

installed with usb using unetbootin
Techunter
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nissimnanach on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Installing 32-bit Petra in my case --

Thanks, bobafetthotmail, I disabled networking and that did away with the dconf-CRIITICAL error.

Got "Installer failed" message at the end for some other reason, but it installed enough to work!
nissimnanach
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot