LM16 MATE & XFCE 64 bit installer crashes??[answers]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LM16 MATE & XFCE 64 bit installer crashes??[answers]

Postby este.el.paz on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Folks:

Trying to get LM16 installed after testing the MATE LiveDVD out, everything seemed OK, so I erased the LM13 system and went to install the new system, got up to copying files, which was about 1/3 of the way on the progress bar, and then error window "Errno5" . . . "Installer has crashed" and saying it could be HD or CD/DVD drive problems, etc. Had to shut the unit down to get out of the error; rebooted, tried again . . . same error.

Rebooted in an XFCE DVD and had to retry several times to get it to boot, had problems getting the "Install Linux Mint" applet to launch; finally got it up and running, and same thing . . . . Thought then that I'd go back to an LM 15 XFCE dvd that I had running on this computer, and that installer had problems with the OSX recovery HD that was "mounted" . . . even though it wasn't . . . .

Something odd is going on, as I just several weeks ago installed LM13 and it went fine . . . now, with LM16 OSX couldn't recognize the .iso to burn it as I've done many times; did the LM13 install and burned the two DVDs in Brasero . . . both of them booted up just fine and I was able to more or less test them in the LiveDVD . . . but, the installer now seems to be having problems?

After I went back to the LM16 XFCE dvd . . . got through to crash the installer, the livedvd also seemed to crash, I was clicking on the whisper menu to launch FF . . . took a couple minutes to get control back . . . and I'm typing this while booted up in the XFCE livedvd.

Any help would be appreciated . . . .

e.e.p.
[Edits: Fix typos from the dreaded jumping cursor problem that erases text while jumping to a new spot . . . thought LM16 had fixed it, but I guess not yet.]
Last edited by este.el.paz on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM16 MATE 64-bit w/ non-humorous Floating Targets!!!
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LM16 MATE & XFCE 64 bit installer crashes??

Postby bobafetthotmail on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Did you check the Md5 hash with the Md5 in the download page to make sure that the file has been downloaded correctly? File corruption can happen.

Did you check the hard drive health with the Disks utility in the XFCE live-cd? (it has a button with a gear in the top right corner, from there select SMART stats or somesuch and look at the table if there is something warning you).
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby este.el.paz on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:05 pm

@bob:

Thanks for the reply, I'm away from that computer for a couple days, I'll check out your ideas this weekend. Or so.

E.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM16 MATE 64-bit w/ non-humorous Floating Targets!!!
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby este.el.paz on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:10 pm

bobafetthotmail wrote:Did you check the Md5 hash with the Md5 in the download page to make sure that the file has been downloaded correctly? File corruption can happen.

Did you check the hard drive health with the Disks utility in the XFCE live-cd? (it has a button with a gear in the top right corner, from there select SMART stats or somesuch and look at the table if there is something warning you).

@bob:

Well, spent a few minutes trying to check out your suggestions . . . computer is running fine in OSX, rebooted into the MATE 64 LiveDVD this morning, and tried to run the "Integrity check" from the boot menu . . . and it spun the drive for a bit and then just stopped, no results, the screen froze with the green letters LM symbol and white line across the top. I shut it down and rebooted and it gets to the GUI desktop . . . was able to re-set the time . . . then I tried to find the checksum file . . . in the folder/direcotry "cdrom" is a file "MD5SUMS" . . . I opened it and it suggested that I could "manually" run "md5sum -c MD5SUMS" . . . which I assume would be in the Terminal?? Terminal showed "md5sum: MD5SUMS no such file or directory" . . . although clearly I had opened such a file.

I then read through the long list of checksum numbers in the file . . . and none of them matched the listed number on the LM download page for the MATE 64 items . . . I can't remember if I used Torrents for the MATE .iso, I don't think I did, but I did use it for the XFCE LiveDVD. I haven't checked the XFCE DVD yet . . . as I was aiming for the MATE install.

So, I was thinking that there might be an issue with the CD/DVD drive, but it manages to get the DVD booted up and I'm typing this post while booted in the LiveDVD . . . launched the Terminal, looked through that MD5SUMS file . . . so, parts of it are working, but the installer seems to have failed a number of times . . . . Would that possibly mean that that part of the download is corrupted? But, that seems to have happened on both the MATE & XFCE DVDs . . . ??? Or CD/DVD drive is intermittently failing and reviving? Weird is all I can say; haven't had these particular kinds of problems in my several installs of LM, once it got to the burned DVD and booted up, it ran fine . . . now, problems burning the .iso in OSX, and problems completing an install . . . LiveDVD boots up and runs OK, but can't install it . . . .

e.e.p.
PS: Would it make any difference if I tried, or what would be the Terminal command to start the installer while booted in the LiveDVD? Would that open the graphical installer or would that just give me a CLI installation? It's a little critical as I have 3 partitions and I'd have to erase the failed installation from the last time to select "Install next to" and let the installer set up the partitions and Grub stuff . . . .

PPS: Later that same day . . . as posted above, neither of the LM16 md5sum numbers checked out as being the same as listed on the downloads page. I've had problems over the years with getting the downloads to work, meaning breaking while being downloaded, but this was two different LM16 files, downloaded several weeks apart, using different methods of downloading, but, seemingly if the numbers don't match it means they are corrupt. Since I also tried to revert back to LM13, which only a month ago or less was freshly installed, I couldn't figure out what they trouble was, possibly that md5sum number was wrong as well, but the installer worked? So, at this point I checked the original .iso md5sum number on the LM15 MATE system that I had installed back in June when I only had two partitions, and that number was correct--I then ran the installer and it went fine, just finished the updating on it. So, now I'll try to either do another download of 16 and this time check the md5sum number ****before**** burning it . . . and I'll try to see if the number is matching, will that show up in OSX DU, or, only in LM Brasero??? At least for now, it appears that the CD/DVD drive is OK, and LM is back to 15 . . . with I'm sure the old jumping cursor issue, etc.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bobafetthotmail on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:55 am

If md5 numbers don't match, the file is corrupt, and stuff is missing in random places, causing random erratic behaviour. Delete the file and download again.

If you have issues downloading stuff, I recommend to use Torrent, because it downloads the file in small pieces and usually auto-checks their integrity.
When it has finished, ask it to check the file ("force a re-check" in uTorrent), it will scan it and if it finds corrupted pieces it will download again only the small piece, not the whole file. Quite a few times this final re-check was useful (found corrupted pieces)

Last time I had serious issues with corrupted downloads it was because the wifi dongle was dying. But can happen for a lot of reasons, maybe the internet infrastructure in your area is just crappy.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby este.el.paz on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:08 pm

@bobxxx:

Thanks for the follow-up, yes, that the file's are corrupt became obvious . . . just very odd in the manner that corruption manifested, causing strange noises to come out of the CD drive, etc.

But,also appreciate the "force re-check" info in the Torrents download . . . I'll check to see if Transmission provides that command. Because of the jumping cursor problems due to something with synaptics and too complicated touchpad in the Mac, I don't spend a whole lot of time in LM; I usually download the LM upgrades in OSX and burn the file in DU. Perhaps the fact that DU couldn't "recognize" the file was the sign that there was corruption?

I appreciate the fact that my local network might be "crappy" . . . but I've downloaded a lot of stuff over the years . . . and there seems to be a higher incidence of problems with LM files than with any other source . . . including the recent 4.5GB download of Mtn Lion, which seemed to go off w/o a hitch. Here, two different files downloaded two different ways, both were boot-able, both installed a third of the way through the install . . . my microscope is looking the other way, based upon some rather substantial issues that make into the general release of LM. My problem was not checking the md5sum number immediately after the download, I've gotten used to finding the .iso file not downloading completely, and therefore not working . . . but if it was recognizable, it burned and installed--this time I learned that life with LM is way more complicated than that . . . .

But, I appreciate you telling me what I should have known to do . . . it would have been easier to understand there was corruption if the DVD failed to boot, or something obvious like that . . . even though "failing to install" might seem obvious, getting to that point made it seem that "it's the installer" . . . . Anyway, I've got 15 installed, and if I get the time to mess with the 1.5 hour download . . . I'll just install over the 15 installation, rather than erasing it before I try the install . . . .

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bobafetthotmail on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Perhaps the fact that DU couldn't "recognize" the file was the sign that there was corruption?
That's a definite alarm bell.
But in general, whatever software you download must be checked with MD5 or SHA or whatever other hashing system they provide, unless it is downloaded from their own utility (that usually checks integrity before running it).

For movies or media it's just a skipped frame, some corrupted pixels or a split-second of weird stuff on screen, but software has to do a job and thus MUST be pristine.

there seems to be a higher incidence of problems with LM files than with any other source
Try to change the download mirror. Internet quality (and speed) is point-to-point. Different download server locations might move the data to you using different infrastructure, thus managing to do their job without corrupting the file. Checking the md5 remains recommended.

And I apologize for saying you have a "crappy" connection. Mine is, yours clearly isn't. I'm capped at 75 kb/s while you can pull down a gigabyte in a hour and a half. :P

I'll just install over the 15 installation, rather than erasing it before I try the install
Umm, you can't do that from the installer (it will just erase the partition and install itself over it OR install itself alongside it). If you want to upgrade Mint 15 to Mint 16, you need to do a distro upgrade from within Mint 15.
this http://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-linux-mi ... -16-petra/
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby este.el.paz on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:09 pm

bobafetthotmail wrote:For movies or media it's just a skipped frame, some corrupted pixels or a split-second of weird stuff on screen, but software has to do a job and thus MUST be pristine.
Try to change the download mirror. Checking the md5 remains recommended.
And I apologize for saying you have a "crappy" connection. Mine is, yours clearly isn't. I'm capped at 75 kb/s while you can pull down a gigabyte in a hour and a half. :P
I'll just install over the 15 installation, rather than erasing it before I try the install
Umm, you can't do that from the installer (it will just erase the partition and install itself over it OR install itself alongside it). If you want to upgrade Mint 15 to Mint 16, you need to do a distro upgrade from within Mint 15.
this http://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-linux-mi ... -16-petra/

@bobxx:

No worries, I appreciate the conversation; you were obviously trying to address the issue in a disciplined manner. After "pilot error" . . . the usual problem, there would be hardware, software, or internet issues that might be involved--one of, or all of . . . . I don't mind having my (dsl) internet connection being trash-talked, and from the fact that I still have a couple PPC units running, and even this laptop at 3.5 years old is considered "old" . . . I'm used to hearing, "well, what do you expect from old stuff?" on the forums. I'm just thankful that I didn't have to weather the usual linux poster trash-talking me personally for "screwing up the beautiful LM software with my lack of skilz, etc" . . . that's a little rougher to handle . . . .

But, indeed, the various US mirrors seem to vary widely in quality . . . and just finding one that will download the complete .iso seems to be a moment to moment problem . . . even using one that worked 6 months ago doesn't seem to be a guarantee that it will work today . . . .

However, main reason for posting back here is to say thanks for the link to the CLI commands so that upgrading shouldn't be so time consuming. That method looks a little bit more like the "regular" linux upgrade, i.e., changing the sources.list and then running "upgrade" . . . should be much "easier" and smoother. But, it seems like the Clem advice is not for doing it that way, but, doing a clean install, I don't think I recall seeing this links data posted on the LM site?? And, it might be "safer" in terms of how people have their files set up, but, for me LM is just for "sheits and giggles" . . . it's a hobby or a release from the high function perfectionism of OSX, I don't keep much personal file wise on LM. If the LM system was changing radically in terms of the whole base system, then maybe the clean install would make sense; but in the changes from 13 to 15 to 16, which are happening every 6 months, it doesn't seem radical, but slight evolutionary changes . . . it should be very much easier to do the Terminal thing. Perhaps when 17 comes out the LTS nature of it might make the clean install worth doing? But, it just makes the whole thing into a "process" that takes time . . . which then is repeated in several months . . . ??? I appreciate the link and your help, thanks kindly.

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bobafetthotmail on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:12 pm

But, it seems like the Clem advice is not for doing it that way, but, doing a clean install, I don't think I recall seeing this links data posted on the LM site??
this? http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
It's a bit outdated but most of the points are valid. Never followed it (I reinstall) so I cannot say if it is still good now.

In general, as long as you did not tinker a lot and used only open-source drivers, it's safe enough.

If you keep your files in a separate partition and have a LM system partition image (the Disks utility of the XFCE and Cinnamon live-cd can make/restore them, for MATE I don't know, but its package is called gnome-disk-utility, there are plenty of other good partition imaging softwares around), you should be fine even if it goes wrong.

Perhaps when 17 comes out the LTS nature of it might make the clean install worth doing?
The point of LTS versions is allowing people to set up a system and not worrying about doing upgrades this way for 5 years. Per-se they aren't different from other versions. They should theoretically receive non-critical updates more slowly, which again in theory would cause less chances of screwing up stuff with an update (which is relatively common even in Windows).

The other versions are for tinkerers and for people that like to live on the edge, so reinstalling is less of an issue (personal experience, doing a reinstall every now and then helps clearing the screwups I can't fix that eventually accumulate in my system :lol: ).

Besides, a reinstall and major setting/profiles move only takes a couple hours (download time notwithstanding). It's not anywhere near the aggravation that it is in Windows world.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby este.el.paz on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:56 pm

bobafetthotmail wrote: this? http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
It's a bit outdated but most of the points are valid. Never followed it (I reinstall) so I cannot say if it is still good now.
In general, as long as you did not tinker a lot and used only open-source drivers, it's safe enough.
The other versions are for tinkerers and for people that like to live on the edge, so reinstalling is less of an issue (personal experience, doing a reinstall every now and then helps clearing the screwups I can't fix that eventually accumulate in my system :lol: ).
Besides, a reinstall and major setting/profiles move only takes a couple hours (download time notwithstanding). It's not anywhere near the aggravation that it is in Windows world.

@bob:

Thanks again for your replies. I checked that link, and that is the method that Clem is recommending, the fresh install method. There is a link there at E3?? that gives some brief hints on doing it the APT way http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/62 I didn't check out the "pastebinit" link to see what they are showing of the sources.list and/or any modifications to it. But, reading through the comments on the APT method page does show that some people are "having some issues" doing it that way . . . I guess the comparison would be to look at the forum for issues that people have doing the fresh install, either way seems like there can be issues in infinite variation based upon the platform being installed into, etc.

Being an OSX trained GUI guy, I don't mind brief CLI commands to do stuff, but, it seems like I'd be more comfortable directly editing the sources.list itself, using nano or pluma, rather than using the "sed" this and that in the Terminal . . . without "seeing" what that is doing . . . . I like easy, and I'd probably still be using LTS 13, except that there was this irritating problem with erratic movement of the cursor that erases data while typing; doesn't seem to happen when I use a plug in keyboard to the laptop, but for general use away from home it isn't practical to plug in a keyboard. So, that has put me on the "cutting edge" of testing out the newest upgrades to see if it has been fixed . . . so far it looks like even 16 has not fixed that problem.

Anyway, indeed, it doesn't take very long to do the actual physical fresh install itself, when all goes well it's pretty quick; but it just seems like there are ****always**** some glitch(es) in the process that turns it into a time suck . . . this "corrupted file" thing is just the latest of them . . . . I may mess around to get 15 to 16 just for the experience of it for when the 17 version comes out . . . no matter how it goes, indeed a nuke and pave is always a few minutes away . . . . : - )

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bobafetthotmail on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:29 pm

este.el.paz wrote:there was this irritating problem with erratic movement of the cursor that erases data while typing; doesn't seem to happen when I use a plug in keyboard to the laptop, but for general use away from home it isn't practical to plug in a keyboard.
You tried decreasing the sensitivity bar from the touchpad options? If i keep it too high my mouse arrow gets pretty jumpy when I'm doing other things on the netbook (that has a touchpad).
I also had mixed fortune with the "disable touchpad when typing" option.

So, that has put me on the "cutting edge" of testing out the newest upgrades to see if it has been fixed
Hardware support is handled by the kernel.
You can install the latest kernel alone with much more ease, (uninstall all proprietary drivers first, and remove the three virtualbox guest additions packages using Synaptics first)
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/
You will keep the older kernel, so if it does not work fine, you can boot again with the older kernel and delete the new one.

Sometimes I had to do that to fix hardware issues like unstable Ethernet and whatever. (someone said they fixed the issue in the newer kernel, in a bug report)

If you like to do it the GUI way, you can just take the links from the terminal to download the .deb files from your browser, then double-click on the linux-headers-something debs to install them, then on the linux-image deb.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby este.el.paz on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:50 pm

bobafetthotmail wrote: You tried decreasing the sensitivity bar from the touchpad options? If i keep it too high my mouse arrow gets pretty jumpy when I'm doing other things on the netbook (that has a touchpad).
I also had mixed fortune with the "disable touchpad when typing" option.
Hardware support is handled by the kernel.
You can install the latest kernel alone with much more ease, (uninstall all proprietary drivers first, and remove the three virtualbox guest additions packages using Synaptics first)
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/
You will keep the older kernel, so if it does not work fine, you can boot again with the older kernel and delete the new one.

@bob:

Thanks again for your posts, I've tried a few things to work on the jumping cursor problem, I think somebody posted ways to use the CLI to disable synaptics, essentially disabling the touchpad . . . which I didn't really see as a viable solution. When I get back over to the Linux partition I'll check to see where I have the sensitivity set for the touchpad . . . for the mouse I usually turn it up to around 3/4 . . . it could be that turning that down on the touchpad to minimum might help out . . . I'll check it.

And, thanks for the kernel update info . . . I usually do that with the "apt-get dist-upgrade" command in Terminal, for the most part I have to say that in the 'Buntu flavors the kernel upgrades seem to go well . . . and doing it that way I haven't had to erase or restore any proprietary drivers . . . this computer has an Nvidia video card . . . so I have to add, or whether I have to or not, I do add the drivers for it . . . and the Broadcom wifi card. I'll have to see how the schedule is in the coming weeks to see if I want to spend any time on a fresh install of 16, the downloading, the burning, or the flashdrive prep . . . and the installer . . . or, try the APT method . . . or, wait until 17 comes out and deal with it then . . . . Thanks for the conversation . . . very kind of you.

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby este.el.paz on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:46 pm

bobafetthotmail wrote:If md5 numbers don't match, the file is corrupt, and stuff is missing in random places, causing random erratic behaviour. Delete the file and download again.

If you have issues downloading stuff, I recommend to use Torrent, because it downloads the file in small pieces and usually auto-checks their integrity.
When it has finished, ask it to check the file ("force a re-check" in uTorrent), it will scan it and if it finds corrupted pieces it will download again only the small piece, not the whole file. Quite a few times this final re-check was useful (found corrupted pieces)

Last time I had serious issues with corrupted downloads it was because the wifi dongle was dying. But can happen for a lot of reasons, maybe the internet infrastructure in your area is just crappy.

@bobafetthotmail:

If you are still there . . . I've been working out of the LM15 MATE 64 bit edition . . . and between yesterday and today I've done two Torrents downloads of LM16 MATE, and two .iso mirror downloads . . . and none of them have matched the posted MD5 number. I recall that on the LM15 file that I used, when I right clicked on it, it showed the MD5SUM number, one of them . . . . In these latest downloads that isn't happening, the file has to be opened and then there is the listed file "md5sum" . . . with the long list of numbers, none of which are matching . . . . I noticed you mentioned uTorrents, but I've been using the stock Transmission, which doesn't seem to have a "Force re-check" option . . . perhaps I'll have to install uTorrents and try that way?

Based upon my recent experience with the installer crashing, even though the file appeared to have all 1.3 GB there . . . I guess there is no point to moving on to burning the disk . . . . Question is, "Why is this happening?" So far this has all been the MATE version, wanting to stay with the "Floating Feet" targets screen saver . . . not quite as amusing as the feet. Would this be a specific problem with the file itself, or the US mirrors are just not doing a good job? I may try to download the XFCE version in a day or so, prefer the MATE . . . and I'd like to get a viable install DVD set up, and then try the CLI update . . . with the new fresh install disk ready for when something goes wrong with mdm . . . . Doesn't it seem like 4 downloads should be enough to get a clean md5sum number? And, what happened to the right-click for the number check as well?

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM16 MATE & XFCE 64 bit installer crashes??[answers]

Postby Ramon3 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:41 pm

Download the iso with Firefox and the problems are gone
Ramon3
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM16 MATE & XFCE 64 bit installer crashes??[answers]

Postby este.el.paz on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Ramon3 wrote:Download the iso with Firefox and the problems are gone

@Ramon3:

Appreciate the reply and the good wishes . . . but, along with the torrents method, I have used Firefox for at least two the recent attempts, not even counting the fair number I tried to get the DVD that was crashing in the installer . . . all downloaded in FF . . . all the md5sum numbers did not match the listed one for the MATE 64 bit . . . .

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bobafetthotmail on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:55 am

este.el.paz wrote:I've been using the stock Transmission, which doesn't seem to have a "Force re-check" option . . . perhaps I'll have to install uTorrents and try that way?
sorry for delay. Did some tests and Transmission has a command called "verify local data" that does the same as uTorrent's force-recheck, so stop the file download (after it has finished), right-click on it, and select "verify local data".

As for why you are getting so much corrupted files, I think you should open a thread in networking section and ask there for assistence for that issue as I don't know how to troubleshoot it.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby este.el.paz on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:18 pm

bobafetthotmail wrote:
este.el.paz wrote:I've been using the stock Transmission, which doesn't seem to have a "Force re-check" option . . . perhaps I'll have to install uTorrents and try that way?
sorry for delay. Did some tests and Transmission has a command called "verify local data" that does the same as uTorrent's force-recheck, so stop the file download (after it has finished), right-click on it, and select "verify local data".

As for why you are getting so much corrupted files, I think you should open a thread in networking section and ask there for assistence for that issue as I don't know how to troubleshoot it.

@bob:

No worries, appreciate the reply . . . and thanks for "verify local data" . . . I don't recall seeing that . . . you must mean highlighting the file in the Transmission list window . . . and then right click? I'll be able to check that later today or tomorrow or so, and I'll post back about it if/when I find something . . . .

And, thanks also for the suggestion of opening a new thread about it . . . was planning on doing that if I didn't get a response by the weekend . . . but I was still seeing this as an "Installation and boot" issue . . . whereas you are seeing it as possible "Networking" issue??? It may be, but, like I mentioned before, only recently I downloaded and installed OSX ML over my internet connection . . . it's fine . . . .

e.e.p.

[Edit: So, I just tried the "verify local data" option in Transmission . . . and it ran through to 100% testing without comment . . . and then I looked at the log and it said something about "no errors" . . . but, I think this file that it checked in "Downloads" was actually the ???http ?? regular mirror download that I tried after the torrent download . . . has the same file name, and located in Downloads, so Transmission wouldn't find the file that I moved to the Trash . . . so I have 3 .iso's . . . none of which has a matching md5sum number, but apparently Transmission is "OK with it"?? I guess I could try to burn it and use my usual "see what happens" . . . but, already done that several times . . . with the resulting crash of installer with previous downloads . . . brings some hesitation to the process.]
[Edit2: Later that same day, I was at another network location and used torrent to download a fresh copy of both MATE & XFCE and I ran the "verify local data" and nothing seems to show up, it just runs through to 100% and then goes back to what it was doing, did it after file complete, and also when "paused" . . . but manually checking the md5sum numbers still, no match. Then found another thread where the OP complains "15 installs, but not 16" . . . and he lists the Terminal commands he ran to check the number . . . but, when I ran those commands it comes back as "File or directory not found" . . . so, seems like Transmission "verifies data" but checksum numbers are not matching . . . assuming that no point to burn the DVD . . . because the "file is corrupt" . . . .]
[Edit3: Later the next day, read the Ubuntu wiki on the proper way to check the md5sum number, so I did it properly . . . and the numbers check out for both the MATE & the XFCE files that I downloaded via torrents yesterday; so perhaps tomorrow I'll re-re-re-try to re-burn the DVDs and make another try at the 16 install . . . .]
[Edit4: Later the day after the last post: Did manage to finally burn the file to DVD . . . and had a successful installation of LM16, just finished the updates . . . seems nice; still can't restart from the desktop . . . have to log out first . . . sort of a continuation of the "mdm" issues from 15?? A tad interesting running the torrent away from home where Transmission was able to access 50+/60 peers for the .iso and completed the 1.3 GB download in like 15 mins; and once I found how to CLI the proper way to check the md5sum number . . . they checked out. Possibly the files would have been OKd earlier, but certainly the previous DVDs were "corrupted" . . . difficult to know when they became uncorrupted . . . . Thanks for the help.]
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot