formatting question

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

formatting question

Postby kraylus on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:09 pm

recently reinstalled vista after a few headaches and it appears that they're really just new features and not headaches. so i'm going back to the linux camp for a wee bit. mostly because i want a computer i can use, and partly because im really curious.

the downside is that the stuff i have on my hard drive isnt able to be backed up to anything. i was wondering if it was possible to install linux on a seperate partition, move the files from windows to the new linux install, delete windows, and resize the linux partitions using the free tools that came default with mint.

thanks,

ryan
kraylus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: formatting question

Postby msuggs on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Yes, the Partition editor that comes with Mint should do all that for you. It's dangerous though not to backup your data before beginning such an exercise. If there is any way to backup data to a CD, DVD or USB Drive (beg, borrow) then I'd recommend it before proceeding.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Re: formatting question

Postby Andreyevich on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:38 am

Why don't you try installing Mint as a virtual PC?

If your PC has enough RAM and CPU power, Linux will work pretty well through decent virtualisation software, such as VirtualBox.

At the moment, one of my Mint installations is a virtual one on a Vista laptop, which seems to run pretty well.
Andreyevich
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot