Reinstalling Mint, Getting rid of dual-boot Win8

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Reinstalling Mint, Getting rid of dual-boot Win8

Postby dollyp on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Getting Mint15 Mate and Win8 to exist together on my Lenovo notebook six months ago was not without its difficulties. I'm now planning to install Mint16 but I want to get rid of Win8 altogether and am seeking advice on how to do this. My current setup is as follows:

sda is a small msata drive:
sda1 - /root
sda2 - swap

sdb is a large hdd drive:
sdb1 - labelled WINRE_DRV formatted ntfs and marked boot
sdb2 - /boot/efi labelled SYSTEM_DRV formatted fat32
sdb6 - labelled LRS_ESP formatted fat32
sdb7 - flagged msftres with unknown format
sdb8 - labelled as Windows8_OS - Wndows C
sdb9 - /home ext4 partition
There are 3 other partitions sdb3 to 5 not relevant to this question.

So, to my questions:-

I am assuming I can get rid of partitions sdb6, sdb7 and sdb8 to remove Win8, but do I need to keep sdb1?
(By the way is there any way of resetting the drive's sdb numbers?)

Can I remove the Windows directory within /boot/efi?

There are references to other distros I tried that appear when I select Lenovo boot options. These must be stored within the bios as there is no reference within /boot/efi. I've heard of something called nvram and I wonder how I can edit this to remove Windows and other distros from this?

Hoping someone will answer these.

David
dollyp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Reinstalling Mint, Getting rid of dual-boot Win8

Postby srs5694 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:54 pm

dollyp wrote:sdb is a large hdd drive:
sdb1 - labelled WINRE_DRV formatted ntfs and marked boot
sdb2 - /boot/efi labelled SYSTEM_DRV formatted fat32
sdb6 - labelled LRS_ESP formatted fat32
sdb7 - flagged msftres with unknown format
sdb8 - labelled as Windows8_OS - Wndows C
sdb9 - /home ext4 partition
There are 3 other partitions sdb3 to 5 not relevant to this question.

So, to my questions:-

I am assuming I can get rid of partitions sdb6, sdb7 and sdb8 to remove Win8,

Correct; they're Windows-only. Personally, though, I'd back them up, since they're necessary should you want to restore Windows to the computer in the future. (Even if you never want to run Windows again, this might be desirable if you want to sell or give the computer to somebody else.)

but do I need to keep sdb1?

No, you should be able to get rid of it. Be sure to keep /dev/sdb2, though -- it contains your boot loaders.

Yes. You can use the "s" option on gdisk's main menu.

Can I remove the Windows directory within /boot/efi?

Yes -- but again, I recommend that you keep a backup in case you ever want to restore Windows.

There are references to other distros I tried that appear when I select Lenovo boot options. These must be stored within the bios as there is no reference within /boot/efi. I've heard of something called nvram and I wonder how I can edit this to remove Windows and other distros from this?

You can manage these entries with the efibootmgr command. Type "man efibootmgr" for details. You'll probably want to list the entries with "efibootmgr -v" and then delete them with "efibootmgr -b {num} -B", where "{num}" is the number associated with the entry you want to delete.
srs5694
Level 5
Level 5

Postby computerbob on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:53 pm

When you load Mint16, you'll want to make a new partition table. I've never none the auto install. Using the "something else" option, I would click on Make a new partition table. Now you've got an unallocated drive with no windows. I'd give Mint16 12GB ext4. Swap could be = amount of ram. The rest would be /home ext4.
You might have to disable secure boot in bios. This is a complex topic of which I am not familiar.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dollyp on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 pm

srs5694 wrote:

Yes. You can use the "s" option on gdisk's main menu.

Thanks for your replies. I tried to use gdisk from a copy of Partition Magic. When I entered the s command the only thing that happened was a message suggesting that I edit etc/fstab. What should have I seen?

Otherwise deleting the partitions (after backups!) worked fine and I attempted to install Mint 16 KDE. First attempt failed with a "kernel panic" on reboot. I worked out that it was because I selected to install boot files into sdb2, which had been correctly identified by the installer as /boot/efi. Reinstalling but selecting to install boot files to sdb instead of sdb2 worked fine. I don't understand the difference.

Regards
David
dollyp
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot