[solved] Mint 16 boot time

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Mint 16 boot time

Postby inflatablemouse on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:43 pm

mintybits wrote:What is sdc on PC2? It seems to have totally confused bootinfoscript. It might be confusing Grub.
Perhaps disconnect sdc temporarily?
Also, check the smart data on sdb where Grub's MBR code is installed.
Try installing Grub to sda instead and tell the BIOS to boot sda.

EDIT: Sorry, sdb is your 128GB SSD. Scratch putting Grub on sda. I'm so used to the SSD being sda!

Yeh, confuses me all the time! It used to be sda but when I installed a LSI MegaRAID controller that insists on being the first device through its firmware, the SSD became sdb.

So, sda is a RAID-5 on the LSI controller.
sdb is the SSD (Samsung 128GB 830)
sdc/sdd/sde is /dev/md1, Linux RAID over 3 disks.

Mind you, my own PC (pc1) didn't have all that and in one of the posts I explained how I unplugged everything while troublehooting this weird issue.
inflatablemouse
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby mintybits on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Did you unplug all the disks except the SSD?
Simplifying the system until there is nothing left to go wrong is my usual approach. Including anything that might be distracting the BIOS code like USB devices and DVD drives.
Try a different graphics card. Try booting in recovery mode.
Eliminate the SSD - try with a normal hard disk and see if that also takes 22 seconds to start the kernel.
Check all the BIOS disk settings.
mintybits
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Derek_S on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:20 pm

@inflateablemouse - I think mintybits hit on something - this LSI controller, is it a seperate device, or is it integrated into the motherboard? Also, does it rely on system software (aka Mint) for RAID or is RAID run from your machine's BIOS or through device firmware? I ask because after going back to the beginning of this thread, it appears that boot takes 45 seconds overall, and Mint only uses 19 seconds of that. So what is BIOS doing for 26 seconds? Trying to configure device sdc? Could it be an issue somewhere within your BIOS settings? Or maybe flashing BIOS to a newer version, or flashing the controller's firmware? Just thought I would throw that idea out there to see what you think. Also, google "device mapper linux" and "dmraid", there's a lot of info on the topic of what is called "fake raid". https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto
Derek_S
Level 3
Level 3

Postby inflatablemouse on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

I'm going to give it some thought and see where I want to go with this. To be honest I'm not sure I want to go through so much trouble.
inflatablemouse
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Aristotelian on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:41 pm

I run LM 16 Cinnamon on Celeron G540 CPU & SSD, and my boot time is also exactly 7 seconds. I have LUbuntu on my HTPC running the exact same setup and for some reason it is about double that.
Aristotelian
Level 2
Level 2

Postby inflatablemouse on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:58 am

I don't understand how people can have a boot time of 7 seconds.

But at least I fixed my 20 seconds delay. Turned out to be some compatibility issue with legacy boot mode on an UEFI system. Boot time is still ~20 seconds from grub to the actual GUI login screen which I think is acceptable. I have a hard time believing this could be 7 seconds though ... :?

I booted from the DVD in EUFI mode and reinstalled. I now have this EFI partition and the system boots the OS in EUFI mode.
inflatablemouse
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Aristotelian on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 am

inflatablemouse wrote:I don't understand how people can have a boot time of 7 seconds.

But at least I fixed my 20 seconds delay. Turned out to be some compatibility issue with legacy boot mode on an UEFI system. Boot time is still ~20 seconds from grub to the actual GUI login screen which I think is acceptable. I have a hard time believing this could be 7 seconds though ... :?

I booted from the DVD in EUFI mode and reinstalled. I now have this EFI partition and the system boots the OS in EUFI mode.

SSD makes a huge difference. Unfortunately, my SSD just died so I got to experience the difference first hand. Booting from HDD in the same system my boot time is 20 seconds. Can't wait to get that SSD replaced!
Aristotelian
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [solved] Mint 16 boot time

Postby inflatablemouse on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:16 pm

I have an SSD on SATA6.
inflatablemouse
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Installation & Boot