Abnormalities after install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Abnormalities after install

Postby 2mac on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:52 pm

READ THIS FIRST

This (as I'm creating it) is not a help thread, but it does contain questions about Mint's installation process that I'd like answers to. Thank you.

Okay, the real thing now

I have a friend who's a bit of a newbie when it comes to Linux. He saw what I was doing with Arch, and he got really excited. We installed Arch since that's what he wanted, but it didn't take long to realize that he wasn't ready for it. Having been a Mint user in the past, I burned a DVD with the very ISO image I used when I used Mint (and it worked wonderfully for me). We installed it successfully, but we found some issues after installation that I'd like to be explained.

PROBLEM 1: The screen resolution. The resolution ratio was set to 4:3, and I could not for the life of me find a way to set it to 16:9.

PROBLEM 2: Slow. Mint was performing at a much lower speed than I remembered. I later compared it to another installation that I did on my girlfriend's laptop (same ISO) that worked just fine.

PROBLEM 3: Software center was impossible to use. It seemed like it was broken. Slow to load, and I don't think we ever successfully installed anything. We later tried using apt, and I don't remember any success there, either.

SETUP ABNORMALITIES: The only weird thing we did during setup was mirror his video to his TV using HDMI, which I didn't think would be a problem.

My friend has already decided to go back to Arch full time, so there's no saving this, I guess, but some answers would be nice for future reference when I try to get my other friends into Linux, because I believe Mint is the BEST starting point for new Linux users coming from Windows.

Also, how does Mint install GRUB? When I installed Arch on his external hard drive, the GRUB installation there only showed Arch. When we installed Mint on some free space we made, GRUB then not only showed Arch and Mint, but also the Windows installation he had on his main hard drive.

Before anyone brings this up, his hardware is more than capable of handling Mint to its fullest potential. Even Windows is pretty quick on his computer, and Arch is a breeze.
2mac
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Abnormalities after install

Postby usbtux on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:19 am

Also, how does Mint install GRUB? When I installed Arch on his external hard drive, the GRUB installation there only showed Arch. When we installed Mint on some free space we made, GRUB then not only showed Arch and Mint, but also the Windows installation he had on his main hard drive.

This is expected, mint sees all operating system installed on the computer regardless of location.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM useful tutorials for installing mint on USB drives.
http://www.usbtux.hostzi.com/
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lazy and Stupid on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Caveat: I am no expert!

I also had problems with Mint installation. My issue was related to GPT versus MBR partitioning. But I have had video resolution problems in the past. Your video issue is similar to one I had in the past. Mint used to allow you to load the proprietary drivers for your brand of card. If you do that then a program from the manufacturer will show up under administrastion allowing you to change the screen resolution. You have to do it with root permissions or it won't "stick." I am now using Mint 16 and they have FINALLY provided an easy way to do this just like in Windows. This has been a problem for me because I have several computers using one keyboard and monitor and If I started the Mint computer without switching over to it, it used to come up in the lowest resolution and then I used to have to struggle to change the resolution using the manufactuers driver front end. Very easy to do now in Mint 16 and I am not needing the proprietary driver.
Lazy and Stupid
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lazy and Stupid on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Just by accident while looking for something else I found something that may be a solution for you:

viewtopic.php?t=139082
Lazy and Stupid
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot