Booting problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Booting problems

Postby Eik on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Hello,

I installed Mint 13 from usb on my HD. The systems contains 2 HD : /dev/sda 200 GB /dev/sda1 bootable with XP and /dev/sdb 80 GB /sdb1 bootable with XP, /dev/sdb2 extended, /dev/sdb5 NTFS, /dev/sdb6 Linux and /dev/sdb7 Linux swap.
When I boot I get the following message : GNU GRUB version 1.99-21 Ubuntu 3
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command comlplitions.

Now, I am not familiar with the command line and got my system booted by pressing F9, which loaded the HP-bootloader. Here I could chose between HD1 200 GB and HD2 80GB. Chosing HD1 resulted in the same message, chosing HD loaded Grub with Linux Mint; Linux Mint recovery, Mem Test, /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. Booting from here is no problem, but to get there I have to press F9, waiting loading HP bootloader, the chosing the right disk, waiting untill Grub is loaded, and finally make the choise, in this case Linux Mint, which takes almost 60 sec to boot.

Now, is it possible to get Grub back on disk 1, sda, to avoid loading HP-bootloader. That is how it always worked before, since I had once installed Ubuntu 9 about 3 years ago, but never got used to it and before installing LinuxMint deleted the Linux partitions.

Would appreciate your comments. Thanks, Eik
Eik
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Booting problems

Postby computerbob on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 pm

I'd say linux boots slow because it's on the slow 80GB hdd. I'd pull the 80GB out of the system and load a newer Mint to the 200GB hdd for a dual boot config.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby gold_finger on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:01 am

@Eik,

Since it's not clear yet what might be causing your problem, don't start tearing drives out of your computer and replacing your Mint 13 (which you probably chose for your own good reasons) with a "newer" Mint (that, even if it were to boot quicker, would likely not reduce the boot time significantly in and of itself). Just because one drive is bigger than the other doesn't automatically mean that it is any faster, or the cause of your problem.

Eik wrote:The systems contains 2 HD : /dev/sda 200 GB /dev/sda1 bootable with XP and /dev/sdb 80 GB /sdb1 bootable with XP

Are you saying you have two separate Windows XP installations -- one on each drive?

From what you are saying, sounds like you have only XP-related partition(s) on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb is a mix of XP and Mint partitions. What is the /dev/sdb5 (NTFS) partition being used for? Did you designate that as your "/home" partition for Mint? Can you boot-up into your installed Mint 13 (not with live USB) and post back here with a screenshot of each hard drive from GParted please? Would like to see what is mounted when you're running your Mint install.
*** Menu -> Adminstration (or System) -> GParted
*** Wait 15 seconds or so for it to finish reading the drives
*** Take screenshot of GParted window showing /dev/sda; then using drop-down menu in upper-right of interface, select /dev/sdb and take another screenshot.
*** Post back here using the "Upload attachment" tab under the reply box in the forum interface.

I'm not entirely clear on what happens when you boot-up. If you have the computer set to boot from the first drive normally (/dev/sda), do you get any grub screen at all, or do you boot straight to Win XP? Do you only see a grub screen when forcing computer (with HP "bootloader") to boot instead from /dev/sdb?

Eik wrote:When I boot I get the following message : GNU GRUB version 1.99-21 Ubuntu 3
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command comlplitions.

Are you saying it gets stuck with this message showing, or is that just something that displays for a few seconds before the grub menu listing boot choices shows up?
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Eik on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:33 pm

First thanks for the replies.
@g_f
I have 2 separate Windows XP installations, one on each drive.

When I boot up I get a blue screen where I can press some F-buttons. When I don't touch any F-button I get stuck in a black screen with the above message. My guess is that when you 're good with the command-line, you should get /dev/sdb6 mounted, which would load Grub. As I am not familiar with tese commands, I press F9, loading HP-bootloader, select the second drive and now Grub is loaded, with first LinuxMint, second LinuxMint recovery, third line is MemTest, fourth is /dev/sda and last one is /dev/sdb.

I made these screenshots.

Now, is it possible to get Grub loading without first going into HP-loader?

Thank you for the effort, also learned how to make screenshots. :)
Attachments
Screenshot--dev-sdb - GParted.png
Screenshot--dev-sda - GParted.png
Eik
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Okay, sounds like grub bootloader just didn't install properly. Boot the computer using your live install DVD/USB, then follow the directions under "2nd option : install Boot-Repair in Ubuntu" on the following link:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

The Boot-Repair program will spit out a url link with info on what it found and did to repair the bootloader. Write that down before closing out the program just in case we need to look at that later if the problem wasn't solved. Then exit the program and live DVD session and boot the computer again.

Eik wrote:Now, is it possible to get Grub loading without first going into HP-loader?

Yes -- that is what should normally happen and hopefully Boot-Repair has fixed the issue. If after running boot repair computer boots straight into Mint with no options shown to boot Windows, open a terminal and enter the following command:
Code: Select all
sudo update-grub

That should update the menu and add the two Windows installations to the menu choices.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Eik on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Followed your instructions and BootRepair fixed the problem.

Grub is loaded as it should and the Window-partitions are also visible ! :D

Thank you g_f .

gr Eik
Eik
Level 1
Level 1

Postby computerbob on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Thank you Gold-Finger
I've been fixing boot problems by fixing the windows boot section 1st and then repairing the grub with a live cd. I just downloaded and burned the 533MB Boot Repair Disk from SourceForge.net.
It looks like I can do it all with this disc. I can't wait to use it. :D :D
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby gold_finger on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Eik wrote:Followed your instructions and BootRepair fixed the problem.

Glad it worked out.

computerbob wrote:Thank you Gold-Finger
I've been fixing boot problems by fixing the windows boot section 1st and then repairing the grub with a live cd. I just downloaded and burned the 533MB Boot Repair Disk from SourceForge.net.
It looks like I can do it all with this disc. I can't wait to use it. :D :D

Your welcome computerbob. Don't know why, but on some occasions grub just doesn't install right on initial installations. There were a couple of times I ran into that myself and what those times had in common was me selecting "reboot computer now" from the last screen of the installer when it completed. Any time I have not selected that, but instead told it that I wanted to "continue using" the live Mint and then did a normal shutdown from there, it would work out fine with no problems. Could have just been a coincidence, who knows?

Anyway, most of the time a repair from Windows is not needed -- it's just a grub mess-up.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot