Can't Install Mint 15 in Windows 8.1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't Install Mint 15 in Windows 8.1

Postby rxd on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:28 am

I have an old Gateway NV52 laptop that I have Windows 8.1 32 bit on. I installed Linux Mint 32 bit in Windows and liked it so much I bought a newer model Gateway NV52L32u to set up the same way. I have tried everything I could think of and find on the Internet for 4 days. I'm going crazy. Linux Mint simply wont install properly. I keep getting "No Root File System is Defined". everything I see on the internet says it's because of the way my disk partitions are set up. I tried creating other partitions but the mint4win installer doesn't see them. But more confusing to me is this, I didn't set up any additional partitions on my old laptop that works properly. It only has 1 Windows partition that Linux Mint is also installed on. So what the heck is going on here? I'm going crazy here. I can't totally delete Windows 8.1 because I need some custom software that only works on Windows every now and then. I did wipe the disk and only install Linux Mint and it worked fine but that is not an option. I do need Windows every now and then, but I really prefer Linux Mint and that's why I bought this new laptop. :x
rxd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't Install Mint 15 in Windows 8.1

Postby computerbob on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:45 am

I would shrink the Win8 volume down to make room for a linux installation. Do a backup. Make a dual boot.
Use the Mint16 32bit live cd
Install using the something else option
On the install screen
right under - + change
Device for bootloader installation
Hit the arrow on the right
pick your target sda not sda1(Edit I'm told I am in error on this)
You want the grub to be in the boot sector of the drive.

You may have to disable secure boot in bios. This is a subject with which I am not familiar.
re http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/
Last edited by computerbob on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby gold_finger on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:50 pm

@rxd,
From what you said, sounds like you used the Mint4Win option on your last laptop vs. a real installation of Mint. If you are planning to use Mint as the primary OS and only use Windows 8 for certain special programs on your new laptop, then you're better off doing a regular install of Mint -- not a Mint4Win install within Windows.

As computerbob pointed out, you will need to shrink the Windows partition to make room for Mint. Also, as he stated, use Mint 16 (or 13, 14 -- but not 15; support for 15 ends this month). Assuming you have Windows already installed back on the drive, you need to first determine which version is installed (the 32bit or 64bit version) and whether or not it was installed under UEFI or Legacy/CSM/BIOS boot mode. Use this resource to make that determination for certain (don't guess or assume you know): http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/bootmode.html. Scroll down to the section "Identifying Your Windows Boot Mode" and follow the instructions.

If the results from that determine that Windows was installed in UEFI mode, then absolutely recommend reading the link computerbob referred you to above before you proceed. Read more than once if necessary. That will give you a much better idea on how to proceed with install.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rxd on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:10 pm

I used Mint4Win on both laptops.

I don't know why the first laptop went so easy and this new laptop has been a nightmare....
rxd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:33 pm

rxd wrote:I used Mint4Win on both laptops.

I don't know why the first laptop went so easy and this new laptop has been a nightmare....

Neither do I since I've never used Mint4Win before.

Like has been said, if plan is to primarily use Mint (with Windows being only used occationally), you'd be better off with a regular installation of Mint. If you prefer to use Mint4Win, then you may want to consider using Mint 13 instead. It is a long-term support release and will continue receiving updates until April 2017. Support for Mint 15, on the other hand, ends at the end of this month. (I believe that they dropped Mint4Win in the 16 release -- so won't be available as an option there.)
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Derek_S on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:54 pm

FWIW - To me, "No Root File System is Defined", would mean one of two things, or both: 1.) The root partition is not flagged "/" as root. 2.)The root partition is not formatted to use a filesystem compatible with LInux(ext2/ext3/ext4). If you are comfortable doing it, I suggest shrinking the Windows partition first, using the Windows Partition Manager, then booting the Mint installation USB and manually partitioning the rest of the drive using GParted. This will allow you to make sure the correct format is used (ext4) for root and the partition flagged as "/" root. Be sure to create a Linux swap partition equal to the size of your installed memory, formatted linux swap. Then create a Home partition, again formatted as ext4, and flag it as /Home. Exit GParted. Then run the installer, and select the "Something Else" option. Check the table to make sure that root and home are still flagged properly, if not, you will have to reset the flags again. Do not reformat the existing partitions. Make sure the bootloader is installed to sda if you are using MBR partitioning, or the same partition as Windows EFI if you are using GPT partitioning. You can tell if this is the case by checking to see if a Windows EFI partition exists when you run GParted.
Derek_S
Level 3
Level 3

Postby gold_finger on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:25 pm

Derek_S wrote:FWIW - To me, "No Root File System is Defined", would mean one of two things, or both: 1.) The root partition is not flagged "/" as root. 2.)The root partition is not formatted to use a filesystem compatible with LInux(ext2/ext3/ext4).

I agree and glad you pointed that out. Maybe I should have paid more attention to that then this statement by O.P.:
rxd wrote:I used Mint4Win on both laptops.

It's possible that rxd is attempting a normal install while mistakenly naming it as a Mint4Win install. One way to find out.

@rxd,

Did you boot into Windows, then load the DVD and try to install from there; or did you just boot from the DVD and try to install Mint?

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Mark Phelps on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:37 am

I'm surprised that Mint4Win still is available -- as it is supposedly based off WUBI and that has been discontinued primarily due to its incompatibility with UEFI.

Personally, I would avoid using Mint4Win as it suffers from the same problems as Wubi -- being intended for short-term usage primarily to test out the OS.
Mark Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Postby gold_finger on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:54 am

Mark Phelps wrote:I'm surprised that Mint4Win still is available -- as it is supposedly based off WUBI and that has been discontinued primarily due to its incompatibility with UEFI.

Yes, pretty sure I read somewhere that they stopped including it in Mint with version 16 and onward. But probably didn't go back and remove from earlier iso's that can be downloaded.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot