Trouble Dual Booting Windows 8 and Mint 16

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Trouble Dual Booting Windows 8 and Mint 16

Postby Cpt_Electric on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:46 pm

I installed Windows 8 and left half of my hard drive unallocated so I can dual boot with Mint 16. Windows 8 works fine.

I could not boot Mint 16 from a USB drive, the screen would just turn black and nothing would happen. But I could boot compatibility mode so I did that and installed Mint using the "Install along-side Windows 8" option. Now when I turn on my computer, GRUB comes up and I can boot Windows 8 normally. But when I select Mint, the screen just stays black, like when I tried to boot from the USB drive. I can boot in recovery mode though. I don't know how to approach this problem at all; a black screen doesn't really tell me much. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?

Some background information:
My computer is a Sager NP7352.
I don't think there's any problem with the USB drive image because I can boot from it on my other computer just fine.

Thank you!
Cpt_Electric
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trouble Dual Booting Windows 8 and Mint 16

Postby computerbob on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:10 pm

You may have to disable secure boot in bios. This is a subject with which I am not familiar.
re http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Derek_S on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:23 pm

@Cpt_Electric - Do not abandon ship Captain! If you can boot compatibility mode from the USB, and recovery mode from the drive, I think it may be an issue of a missing/wrong video driver. I'll give you the link to the topic at the top of this page: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
Derek_S
Level 3
Level 3

Postby srs5694 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:03 pm

The "black screen" problem is common today but has multiple causes. See, for instance, this askubuntu.com question and answer for some pointers. I recommend you read those, experiment a bit, and then post back with more details if you still have problems.
srs5694
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Cpt_Electric on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks for the links, guys. I'll see what I can figure out.
Cpt_Electric
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Cpt_Electric on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm

@Derek_S - The fix you linked worked! I haven't tried booting from a USB yet (I'm assuming it won't work since I only changed GRUB settings on my hard drive), but I can now boot normally into my linux install. Thanks for the link, man!
Cpt_Electric
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Derek_S on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:48 pm

You're welcome Captain. If you read the link, you realize this is a workaround, used only to get the desktop up and running. You never mentioned the video device your system has, maybe at this point another forum member can advise you how to find and install the correct driver for your system. Good luck to you - Derek.
Derek_S
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot