Install without ISO

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Install without ISO

Postby Peter Mason on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:08 pm

I have no windows just a version of linux limping along at /sda1 on a DELL dimension 8200 from the turn of the century. I needed to replace xp and in the process is was damaged beyond repair.
How do I install LinuxMint16 on /sda2 ( already exits) without the ISO? or do I have to reinstall xp?
Peter Mason
Improving a tiny piece of the visible universe to understand the meaning of better.
Peter Mason
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install without ISO

Postby computerbob on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:30 pm

If you don't want the XP anymore or don't need the thing you have on sda1, the Mint installer will write over the whole thing. Download the iso and burn it to a dvd. But which one?
Cinnamon is not going to run well on a turn of the century machine. You need a light weight OS, probably Mint16 Xfce 32 bit. If that doesn't work, try puppy or damn small.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xenopeek on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:49 am

What do you mean to you want to install without the ISO? You can't install Linux Mint without having the ISO. You can either put it on a DVD or with special steps put it on a USB stick. But you need to boot from the Linux Mint ISO to be able to install it.

As for your system, yes probably MATE or Xfce edition of Linux Mint is the better choice. Pick the 32-bit one.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Peter Mason on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:22 am

The problem is I cannot get the iso to load from the DELL 8200. It has two drives CD and DVD on the PCI bus. The DVD is RW but the CD is R. I think there are difficulties in picking the correct one.

What I know.
Too Little. (about Linux)
Too much :-), {I am a retired electronic engineer with a little unix knowledge and this is all new to me}

The ISO is good or at least it will boot nicley on another newer DELL running windows.

So using Solydk on sda1 I have managed by various routes, UNetbootin and Gdebi to get Cinnamon Mint 15 to run but only in fall back mode and that is where I am stuck. Atempts to load 2.0.14 result in (Error: Dependency is not satisfiable : cinnamon (=2.0.14+petra).

The sound card works which is not possible with Solydk. I have both dispalays working at capacity and I find the window switch is better than Solydk it reminds me of Big Desk, that I think I payed for, from windows. However I have seen a message sugesting a problem with the display driver and my suspicion is this is the cause of the fall back problem.

I Also think the Broadcom wifi is a problem because this is being sent over a USB stick but as I am in fall back mode and I cannot do much about that. Solydk does a nice job on the wifi.

I do not think I can pursuade the DELL to boot from USB but pehaps I can try.

Where to continue?
A nice clean install of cinnamon 2.0 would be good.
regards

Peter
Improving a tiny piece of the visible universe to understand the meaning of better.
Peter Mason
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobafetthotmail on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 am

Can you try using a Mint with a different desktop manager? That is, any Mint that does not have Cinnamon.
Mint MATE, Mint XFCE or Mint KDE. From the download page.
Or the Mint Cinnamon 13 which is the long term support version (and receives the backports of the newest Cinnamon version from update manager)

late Cinnamon versions seem to hate graphics with AGP interface (at least for me) until you install the proprietary drivers (that likely don't exist for linux for the card you have), and that rig has one.

Otherwise can you describe what error or issue you get when the dell 8200 fails to load the Mint 16 Cinnamon disk?
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Peter Mason on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:41 am

Sorry for the delay in reply I eventually installed cinnamon 16 the problem was poor quality disks. My apologies. However the system fails to start see post "fail whale is dead"
Peter
Peter Mason
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot