Computer boots directly into GRUB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Computer boots directly into GRUB

Postby wolvesandstuff on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi there,

I'm a new user who is clearly somewhat clueless.
I was dual booting ubuntu and Windows 8 on my laptop for a while, and decided to switch over to Mint for my linux partition. I erased the partition with Ubuntu from Disk Management in Windows, and when I went to restart to boot from my Mint Live USB, the computer just booted directly into GRUB2, and I have no idea how to get past it. Does anyone have an idea of how I can boot into my usb stick or back into Windows?
Thanks!
wolvesandstuff
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Computer boots directly into GRUB

Postby kurotsugi on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:56 pm

you should saw several option on grub. choose the most top of it then press enter.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby wolvesandstuff on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Hmm. I actually don't have any options, it just boots directly into the GRUB prompt. The text at the top just says "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions...(etc)." Is the issue that I messed up when I erased the Ubuntu partition? Any ideas on how to boot into my Mint Live USB so I can install the OS, or even just into Windows?
wolvesandstuff
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:15 pm

on bios you can select usb drive as the highest boot priority. depends on you system you need to press f1 or esc to enter bios setting
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby wolvesandstuff on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:21 pm

I feel like I'll be able to get that working once I'm in BIOS, but when I press esc, it has the same effect on the prompt as pressing enter, and f1 doesn't do anything. I tried holding the fn key first also. Am I missing something? Ugh, thank you for your help.

EDIT
Okay nevermind, I made it into BIOS. I'll post again if I have issues, but thank you.
wolvesandstuff
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:38 pm

every laptop have their own shortcut to enter bios. it usually showed up on boot. if esc/ f1 didn't work you can try f2 or f12. it can be also f5 or f8.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby wolvesandstuff on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Okay, installation is going. Thank you for helping with my newbie problem :) .
One more question-- if I erased the partition Ubuntu was installed on, why did the computer reboot into GRUB? Does that mean that there are Ubuntu remnants that I should take action to get rid of?
wolvesandstuff
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:57 pm

unless if you rewrite the motherboot record on you HD with windows recovery cd, you should not delete ubuntu partition. after install ubuntu your MBR is rewritten and now it's using grub as boot loader. if you delete ubuntu's partition the grub is gone. thus, your system can't find the bootloader and can't boot at all.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mintybits on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:30 am

wolvesandstuff wrote:Okay, installation is going. Thank you for helping with my newbie problem :) .
One more question-- if I erased the partition Ubuntu was installed on, why did the computer reboot into GRUB? Does that mean that there are Ubuntu remnants that I should take action to get rid of?

Unlike with Windows, Grub is in installed in two locations: one at the start of the disk in a dodgy gap and the second part in the /boot directory. What happens when you delete your root partition depends on whether you have a separate /boot partition. If you do then Grub can load all its files but cannot find root so it drops to the Grub> prompt. If not, only the first part of Grub can run and it drops to a grub-rescue> prompt.

It would be a whole lot easier to manage if Grub were a standalone bootloader in its own partition. The way it works is that it is initmately connected to the linux OS that you last installed, typically.
mintybits
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot