[SOLVED] Fail to boot up the liveCD because of Radeon 7000

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Fail to boot up the liveCD because of Radeon 7000

Postby Fili93 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi everyone, I've just registered here because I have to... ehm... quickly ^^ solve a problem on a friend's PC I'm restoring :) I tried to do some researches, both here and in google, but no solution I found was applying to my problem
The liveCD records a "segmentation error" at the address 0x149 and so is unable to boot up... thanks to you guys and google I was able to find the cause: an ATI Radeon 7000 video card which I successfully installed on the "xp side" of that pc.
Assuming that I don't want to change or remove the card (even because it wasn't my choice to install it)... how can I possibly get to boot the live and install Mint 13? Thanks to everyone who will help me ^^
Last edited by Fili93 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fili93
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Fail to boot up the liveCD because of Radeon 7000

Postby clfarron4 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Try adding nomodeset to the kernel parameters on boot and see how that goes.

That is, when you get to GRUB, press Tab and type nomodeset at the end of the line starting [i]linux[./i]
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby perham on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Fili93 wrote:Hi everyone, I've just registered here because I have to... ehm... quickly ^^ solve a problem on a friend's PC I'm restoring :) I tried to do some researches, both here and in google, but no solution I found was applying to my problem
The liveCD records a "segmentation error" at the address 0x149 and so is unable to boot up... thanks to you guys and google I was able to find the cause: an ATI Radeon 7000 video card which I successfully installed on the "xp side" of that pc.
Assuming that I don't want to change or remove the card (even because it wasn't my choice to install it)... how can I possibly get to boot the live and install Mint 13? Thanks to everyone who will help me ^^

clfarron4 wrote:Try adding nomodeset to the kernel parameters on boot and see how that goes.

That is, when you get to GRUB, press Tab and type nomodeset at the end of the line starting [i]linux[./i]

this ^
and while you're at it, add vga=normal too.
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz DDR3-1600 12GB ]LinuxMint 16 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz DDR-400 2GB LinuxMint 16 Mate
Intel Pentium 4 1.5 GHz 512MB Debian Jessie LXDE
perham
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fili93 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 am

Sorry but I don't understand this, I see no starting [i]linux[./i] line in GRUB.... it does all silently.... white screen with a cursor for some seconds and then a whole list of commands on which I cannot interact, after that... a black screen with 4 green dots and the text "linux mint 13" appears... then blue screen with "failed to start the x server etc..." on it
Fili93
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clfarron4 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Right, when you start up your computer, do you see a menu asking you which operating system you should start-up?

If yes, then press up/down to select a Linux Mint option, then press Tab.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fili93 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:26 am

No, I don't see that menu because only windows XP is installed in the computer... and this is due to the fact I can't install linux because the live CD can't start xserver
Fili93
Level 1
Level 1

Postby perham on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:44 am

Fili93 wrote:No, I don't see that menu because only windows XP is installed in the computer... and this is due to the fact I can't install linux because the live CD can't start xserver

you need to boot from cd, and before going into automatic boot, press some key so that menu appears, then press tab on first entry and add nomodeset and vga=normal there.

here are some screenshots to show you how to do it:

here's a video file showing all the steps:
http://parsai.net/files/uploads/capture.avi
perham
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fili93 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:08 pm

I did so... but no result sorry... still gives me the same error
Fili93
Level 1
Level 1

Postby perham on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:23 pm

Fili93 wrote:I did so... but no result sorry... still gives me the same error

try a newer mint, like mint 16. it's possible that this bug is fixed in newer kernel versions. the problem is that this happens in both radeon and vesa drivers according to you, so it must be a kernel bug.
perham
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fili93 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:15 pm

The PC we're talking about is an AMD Athlon 64 with 707 mb RAM, which version (and desktop) would you suggest me to install?
Fili93
Level 1
Level 1

Postby perham on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Fili93 wrote:The PC we're talking about is an AMD Athlon 64 with 707 mb RAM, which version (and desktop) would you suggest me to install?

both Mint 16 XFCE and Mint 16 Mate should be fine. although Mate is heavier than XFCE.
perham
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fili93 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:19 am

Ok, I decided for mint 16 mate version... worked fine on my hdtv but unfortunately her monitor (relisys l54a0re) was stuck on "not supported" screen even after trying to modify the resolution on grub.cfg from recovery mode... so she told me to format D drive (where mint was installed) and keep windows only on C drive... I used testdisk to rewrite windows mbr on C and D before formatting but some files kept stuck on my C drive which was also mounted in linux, one in particular (the .local/shared/cvgfbs (or something like this)/::computer is not going down.... and this seems to cause a "NTLDR is missing" error on the pc when I try to restart, unless I boot with the xp cd inserted in the drive (but not booting FROM it, just inserting it)... how can I solve? Sorry for leaving mint but hey guys... that's not my machine... beautiful OS though, way better than ubuntu
Fili93
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mark Phelps on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:38 am

so she told me to format D drive (where mint was installed) and keep windows only on C drive...

Linux does not use drive letters, nor does it install natively in an NTFS partition -- so the only way that Mint would have been installed in the "D" drive is if you had installing it using Mint4Win.
I used testdisk to rewrite windows mbr on C and D

This makes no sense. The MBR is stored outside any partitions on the hard drive; so, there's no way it can be part of "C" or "D".
before formatting but some files kept stuck on my C drive which was also mounted in linux, one in particular (the .local/shared/cvgfbs (or something like this)

This makes no sense -- as the Windows filesystem does not create files that have filenames beginning with ".". That's a a convention used in Linux filesystems to indicate "hidden" files.
and this seems to cause a "NTLDR is missing" error on the pc when I try to restart,
This means your messing around with formatting damaged the Windows boot loader. You will have to restore that from a Windows CD before it will boot again.

IF you don't have a Windows CD, you might be able to restore the MBR as by opening up a terminal in Mint and entering the following:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install lilo

Code: Select all
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

Once you reboot, you should then be able to reboot into Windows XP.
Mark Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot